EF 24-105 f4L IS on APS-C body

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I was a part time wedding photographer for some 7 years and used Canon full frame for most of that time and I still have one 5D body and a nice selection of glass to go with it. But now that my photography is more for leisure I decided that it was time to get something a bit smaller and lighter to carry around. I looked at compact and bridge cameras but the image quality just wasn't hitting the spot and needed too much pp. Then I found a new unused still in the box 1100D body on eBay for £170 (Littlewoods) so took the plunge. I also found a mint second-hand 18-55 mkII for £45 and I have to say that this is a great very lightweight combo capable of taking some nice shots.. so Al is happy. Yesterday I decided to nip up to London to try out the 1100D with a 24-105 f4L IS on the front as I figured this was a nice focal length range for doing some street photography.

Just thought I'd share the results which can be viewed here:

http://alanwhite.smugmug.com/Other/1100D24105/

Last edited:
I was concerned about keeping the ISO down to keep noise to the minimum but in some of the locations it was difficult, however.. this shot is testimony to the Canon IS system.. focal length 45mm (70mm in aps-c terms) and handheld at 1/10 sec (800 iso)

The 1100D body did really well too - especially seeing as it only cost £170! Normal daylight shooting at ISO 800 gave very useful shutter speeds and noise free images, although I tried a couple of shots at ISO 1600 in very dark places and noise was obvious but produced some pleasing shots that would print okay or would be fine for viewing on a tablet, like this one..

Last edited:
Nice shots Al. I've never used the 24-105 but I'm thinking about it now to get me a tad closer to my son when out and about. Finding myself cropping quite a bit with my 17-55.

i always use mine on a 70d for street photography great little lens, some say its too long on a crop but i love it

i really recommend the 40mm pancake lens ! its a cracking bit of kit and nice and fast ,

Back