elinchrom skyport - cable doesnt fit?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I have just bought the skyport unversal transmitter/reciever set. In the box was the transmitter, reciever and 3 cables. The reciever has a 3.5mm jack socket - and two of the cables supplied have 3.5mm jacks on them. The problem is however that the PC sync cable only has a 2.5mm jack on it and therefore doesnt fit the reciever (although the pc sync side of it fits the flash fine).

I know the solution is to simply go out and buy an adapter - but it seems like a rather silly oversight on the part of elinchrom either not to provide a pc sync cable that is compatible with their own system, or to provide the relevent adapter.

you can get a converter on ebay, I did :)

just to brands with different standards, maybe our light/flash manufacturers are the silly ones ;)

Yep that was my immediate solution too - but it seems rather silly that you cant use this system straight out of the box.

The side of the cable that goes into the flash is fine (580EX with a standard PC sync fitting) - its the side that should go into the skyport that is causing the issue.

The elinchrom came with 3 cables in the box.

Skyport end ------------------ Flash end

3.5mm Jack ------------------ 3.5mm Jack

3.5mm Jack ------------------ 12mm coaxial

2.5mm Jack ------------------ PC sync fitting

have to agree, I had the same issue... had to wait a week for the adapter before I could you my skyports

After speaking to some people who know about the elinchrom system - its not a mistake.

The 2.5mm pc sync cable that is supplied is supposed to be used with the trigger (which has a 2.5mm fitting). The Skyport system doesnt come with a pc sync cable that is compatible with the reciever - these have to be bought separately or you have to buy a suitable adapter for the 2,5mm one that is supplied.

i'll have to take a detour to Maplin on the way home tonight :D

Correct, you need to buy the PC cable; the bundled ones are aimed more for using the skyports with Elinchrom studio lights etc. Luckily I researched it while mine were winging their way to me and so was able to order the correct cable before they arrived. It is a bit annoying, and still seems to be a bit of a black art.

I got my PC cable from Amazon - it's the PocketWizard one; works fine of course.

Correct, you need to buy the PC cable; the bundled ones are aimed more for using the skyports with Elinchrom studio lights etc. Luckily I researched it while mine were winging their way to me and so was able to order the correct cable before they arrived. It is a bit annoying, and still seems to be a bit of a black art.

I got my PC cable from Amazon - it's the PocketWizard one; works fine of course.

a good place for cables is flashzebra

and speak to lon top bloke

Back