Emily & Paul's Pre-Wedding Shoot

-Rob-

Say Cheese!...Oh, and call me Susan
Edit My Images
No
I had an engagement shoot with Emily and Paul las night along the seafront at St Annes in England. Paul was very worried....actually Emily was probably more worried...that Paul was unable to smile but I think I did an OK job of getting them to relax enough to raise a few smiles. Any comments would be very welcome.

Emily Paul 001 by RobGeorgeson, on Flickr

Emily Paul 002 by RobGeorgeson, on Flickr

Emily Paul 004 by RobGeorgeson, on Flickr

Emily Paul 009 by RobGeorgeson, on Flickr

Emily Paul 013 by RobGeorgeson, on Flickr

Emily Paul 023 by RobGeorgeson, on Flickr

Positive - Nice set, the couple looked relaxed and are posed well. Good colours and exposures
Negative - Youve cut the hands off in no.2, it looks like youve used some very wide angles as there is some clear distortion e.g. the guys hands look enormous, no.5 youve cut the guys feet off.

nice set, but would also watch your horizons too, number one has quite a severe slant from right to left.
nice bright solid colours . just a few tiny little issues as mentioned above. but youve caught them both looking pretty natural and managed to get the smiles so thats a good thing.

I think you did well on the posing front with the exception of #3. "Couple looking off camera and laughing" never works for me on the grounds that like most people, I immediately wonder "who/what were they laughing at?" and why aren't they either looking at you or at each other?

Whatever, very much fwiw ...

#1 Personally I wouldn't tolerate that much distortion of her feet, but otherwise it's well done

#2 Cutting hands off in a posed photograph is a major no-no in my book, and on this calibrated monitor she looks like you've selectively lightened her too much. I'd also zap that distracting grey blob behind his head.

#4 Love the composition, but they needed to be the other way round so her hair didn't obscure her face like that

#5 Again, very nice posing and composition IMO, but she's got big feet again, you've chopped his off, and you need to zap that railing

#6 Nicely done again, but next time you take that shot, tell her not to lose her left hand like that. To my way of thinking, this shot illustrates perfectly why one rule of this sort of thing is you either show all of a hand or none of it.

HTH a bit.

Although the pointers above are valid about the negs - I do think you're onto a winner as well. (y)

The couple will most likely - love them. Regardless of what is said in here (and you've got some great pointers from great wedding photographers above, much better than I) - BUT - the bonus from this shoot will be, they will know what to expect - they will know that they will look pretty damned good at the wedding itself which will lend itself to happier smiling faces (grins all day no doubt) because they will be more confident in you, they will be more confident in themselves and how they look - and you will blow them away with the final wedding images. Please post up some from the wedding when it happens and good luck! :)

All the critique given is spot on, only thing I could really add is the reason he has a severe case of gigantism of the hand in of the shots is he has linked his hands together (shot 4). Make sure he doesn't do that!

Apart from that the shots are still of a very high standard. Really good work in my opinion.

Agree with what others have said regarding the minor negatives, still a cracking set of shots, you should be chuffed with them. Incidentally what lighting did you use for these?

Rob, I cant think of anything negative. The pcitures are fabulous, very sharp, I wish I could atleast take one picture which is as sharp as yours :(
What PP have you used?

Thanks for the compliments Kendun. I wouldn't say it was the PP that makes the images sharp, it is a combination of using 17-40L & 70-200L lenses and shooting at f5.6 to f11 for these photos so there is loads of DoF. As for PP they've only had fairly minor tweeks in LR to give them a bit of a boost.

Thanks for the compliments Kendun. I wouldn't say it was the PP that makes the images sharp, it is a combination of using 17-40L & 70-200L lenses and shooting at f5.6 to f11 for these photos so there is loads of DoF. As for PP they've only had fairly minor tweeks in LR to give them a bit of a boost.
Thank you for taking the time to update me Rob, it is appreciated. Hopefully I can use these tips.

Hi Rob

A good set of shots , its not easy getting people to relax sometimes but you will have a much easier job with them now.

#1 - Its a lovely colourful shot with lots of interest and giving the complex dynamics i don't think it needs straightening.
#2 - This is probably the one i least like of the lot just down to it looking too bright and unnatural
#3 - Nice fun shot , who cares what they are laughing at ! just nice to see people having fun and i am sure they will love it
#4 - The pick if the bunch for me - except for the blown out sky on the left which looks like you have tried to recover it leaving a dull grey patch , dont worry about blown out bits if they add to the shot rules are meant to be broken
#5 - nice but lose the rail
#6 - lovely shot

Andy

wedding photographer

Back