Eos 6d Owners Thread!

...in good light. In poor light i've found them to be unreliable and in some cases, utterly pointless. The centre point is fantastic.

I know I'm a little late to the conversation , but I have found that the outer focus points lock focus perfectly in good light, and in darker situations they slow down and hesitate a little and sometimes can't lock focus but when they do lock focus, focus is accurate. I personally stick to focus and recompose with the centre spot in lower light. In a 6D mark II I'd love all focus points to be spread out a little more and as sensitive as the current centre point lol.

Has anyone tried a magnifying eye-piece on the 6D? I go the EF-S screen and that helps with manual focus and checking focus, but would love to enlarge the finder a little more.

Has anyone tried a magnifying eye-piece on the 6D? I go the EF-S screen and that helps with manual focus and checking focus, but would love to enlarge the finder a little more.
I've got a 2x magnifier doodad, but TBH if I'm focussing manually I switch to live-view and zoom in to 10x.

Just a word of caution for those considering a third party LP-E6 battery for the 6D. I have a Energiserl one that I use with my 5Dlll. OK I get a warning but selecting OK on the menu and all is fine. I see the battery state on the display as usual. Using this battery with the 6D I get the error message, but clicking OK does not display the battery state. Camera functions fine, but I get a display as though the battery is flat, but it is fully charged. I don't know if the Hahnel batteries suffer from the same problem. It's not a major problem has I have plenty of Canon LP-E6, for both cameras, and the Energiser works just fine in the 5D

I have a Hahnel battery and it seems fine, no issues and the level reporting seems to be fine. In fact I'm about to order another two from Amazon (£22 each).

Has anyone bought a non-Canon camera grip that is happy to recommend?

I've ordered a neweer one but am awaiting delivery of both the camera and grip

Finally managed to get out with the camera at the weekend, I'm pretty impressed with it. High ISO is unbelievable compared to my old 450D. Also loving my Zenitar 16mm f2.8 on it!

I can't wait until the end of this week when I disappear off to New Zealand and Thailand for 3 weeks so I can use it in anger!

I got a neweer one.
It's fine, no problems with it. Wouldn't like to use the remote that came with it for more than a few feet though.
I doubt it'll last as long as the canon one but at around a 5th of the price..........

Dave, out of interest, what is it with the preoccupation of high iso?????????? I was taught, albeit in the days of film, always use the lowest you can. 50, is great, but with a few exceptions I almost never use more than 200.

Last edited:
I got a neweer one.
It's fine, no problems with it. Wouldn't like to use the remote that came with it for more than a few feet though.
I doubt it'll last as long as the canon one but at around a 5th of the price..........

Dave, out of interest, what is it with the preoccupation of high iso?????????? I was taught, albeit in the days of film, always use the lowest you can. 50, is great, but with a few exceptions I almost never use more than 200.

I know I've not Dave ( :) ) but I find the high ISO performance really useful, allowing the sort of shots I've always wanted e.g. indoor shots at gigs, baby playing under indoor lighting. Anything in normal daylight is of course best at ISO 100 (IS0 50 is just ISO 100 overexposed by a stop, don't use it unless you really need a slower shutter speed).

While we're talking about ISO and in particular high ISO I thought I'd share some of these images with you to show how capable the camera is. They were all shot on a 6D with a EF24-105L f/4 at f/4. The scene was an emergency service response training exercise that I was allowed to photograph. The scenario was a helicopter crash with a mix of 11 casualties from fatalities to people who where confused as to whether they had been in the air or on the ground (!) to people trapped in wreckage spread over a fairly large area in pitch darkness. I used a Manfrotto monopod to try and keep the camera as still as possible as I was using a slowish shutter speed and it was very cold! I have edited the RAW files in LR5 and used noise reduction software but nothing to extreme. I was only using the available emergency service lights.

Fighting the flames.
1/30, 12800-ISO, 105mm

Freeing a man trapped in a helicopter door.
1/30, 8000-ISO, 45mm

One of the St John's Ambulance staff stabilising a lady with suspected spinal injuries.
1/25, 12800-ISO, 105mm

Searching for survivors.
1/25, 12800-ISO, 105mm

En route to the ambulance.
1/25, 8000-ISO, 70mm

If you feel like looking through the other photographs from the exercise the set can be found on Flickr here.

Thanks

Stevie

Last one of those I did was a 747 crash! All good fun but why do they always hold them in the winter!
Very nice pictures, and yes, I see the point in that situation, but really? How often do you use that capability? Having read through this topic before I went out and got one of these beasts, it's something that appears on nearly every page, it just strikes me as a seldom used feature, that is being made a lot of and i was curious as to why.
Having said that, I will admit on my first outing with the 6d, i did use the high end of the iso range, on HMS Victory, where they don't allow flash. Yes, the outcome was nice, with very little in the way of noise, but it's probably the last time I'll use it that way.

Last one of those I did was a 747 crash! All good fun but why do they always hold them in the winter!
Very nice pictures, and yes, I see the point in that situation, but really? How often do you use that capability? Having read through this topic before I went out and got one of these beasts, it's something that appears on nearly every page, it just strikes me as a seldom used feature, that is being made a lot of and i was curious as to why.
Having said that, I will admit on my first outing with the 6d, i did use the high end of the iso range, on HMS Victory, where they don't allow flash. Yes, the outcome was nice, with very little in the way of noise, but it's probably the last time I'll use it that way.

I've used ISO 10,000+ quite a few times!

I use it quite a bit as well, both for informal people shots but also for fast paced rc plane and heli action in the darker evening were even with f2.8 I still need a fast shutter speed. Have taken several in the last few weeks between 8000 and 12800. I suppose it gets mentioned so often as it really is on a different level compared to what some (myself included have used before which in my case was really unusable above 3200) have used before.

Stevie

Let us know what you think when you have a chance to use it :)

Carlos, the grip arrived yesterday and my 6d has arrived today. I'm at work so haven't had chance to test the Camera yet.

I obviously haven't had chance to test the grip on the camera but I opened it last night and my first impression was that it was ok but not as good quality as the meike grip I had on my 60d (I've sold my 60d and grip so can't actually compare them side by side). It just seemed to be lighter and slightly less quality. Also the battery tray opener didn't seem as stiff so I think this might waddle about when changing camera orientation and be a bit noisy.

I'll try it out on the camera tonight, but I might decide to send it back K and try the meike instead.

I've decided that I don't like the neweer grip. The handling just doesn't feel right, and the catch for the battery tray is too loose and flaps about a bit when you change the camera orientation.
I've now ordered the meike grip instead

Where's the cheapest place to pick up a 6D these days then? I've been keeping my eye on the classifieds for a while now, but nothing! :(

Where's the cheapest place to pick up a 6D these days then? I've been keeping my eye on the classifieds for a while now, but nothing! :(

It depends if you are happy to go down the grey import route or not

Not sure how helpful this is but have got a 6d and love it. Even the jpegs are nice and high iso isoutstanding. I took some shotsfor work with 24-105mm and was very impressed. Me being a bit of apixel peeper that says a bit.

For long walk now Iwillbe happy with this combo and a 14mm in my bag.

Now Canon, get the 7dmkII to market so that I can standardise on these 2 bodies.

My 7D is a grey import and I've never had too much trouble, so I guess grey imports are fine!

It's probably Panamoz then.

£1,029 body only or £977 if you pay via bank transfer.

£1,392 with the 24-105mm f4L lens or £1,322 if you pay via bank transfer.

I ordered the 6d with 24-105mm lens from them last week and I can't recommend them highly enough.
Took just over 3 days to arrive from Hong Kong (a day the bit above 3 days was Sunday night).

My charger had a UK 3 pin plug and the manual was also am English version ie there is actually nothing obvious that shows its not officially a UK version

It's probably Panamoz then.

£1,029 body only or £977 if you pay via bank transfer.

£1,392 with the 24-105mm f4L lens or £1,322 if you pay via bank transfer.

I ordered the 6d with 24-105mm lens from them last week and I can't recommend them highly enough.
Took just over 3 days to arrive from Hong Kong (a day the bit above 3 days was Sunday night).

My charger had a UK 3 pin plug and the manual was also am English version ie there is actually nothing obvious that shows its not officially a UK version

I had the same experience - a wonderfully smooth process and a nice camera to boot. I do prefer the ergonomics of my 7D, but the low light of the 6D is astounding.

My meike grip arrived today. Excellent quality, and much higher standard than the neweer grip I original purchased and then sent back.

Yes the meike one is a bit more expensive, but definitely worth it, and so much cheaper than then official canon version!

I'm looking to make the jump to FF and the 6d is looking inceasingly like the camera for me. I'll be reading this thread from start to finish over the weekend to make sure up up to speed.

I've had Canon crop sensor DSLRs before, but sold all of my kit some time ago, so I'll be starting from scratch. Initially I'm thinking of trying to pick up a mint secondhand 6D (see the Classified 'Wanted' section) with a 24-105 perhaps.

I see many here have used Panamoz to buy their kit. I'm a bit nervous of importing, although reports are mostly good of this particular source. Might give them a try, or maybe Kerso (Flash Camera) if I can't find a suitably mint secondhand camera.

I bought my 6D and 24-105 from a shop in Bangkok and it came with 3 pin plug and English documentation.

I'm looking to make the jump to FF and the 6d is looking inceasingly like the camera for me. I'll be reading this thread from start to finish over the weekend to make sure up up to speed.

I've had Canon crop sensor DSLRs before, but sold all of my kit some time ago, so I'll be starting from scratch. Initially I'm thinking of trying to pick up a mint secondhand 6D (see the Classified 'Wanted' section) with a 24-105 perhaps.

I see many here have used Panamoz to buy their kit. I'm a bit nervous of importing, although reports are mostly good of this particular source. Might give them a try, or maybe Kerso (Flash Camera) if I can't find a suitably mint secondhand camera.

You will struggle to find a 2nd hand one at all, let alone a 2nd hand one for cheaper than Panamoz are doing for brand new.

I've ordered mine from their and have had it just over a week. I paid by bank transfer to get 5% off. It's a bargain at that price, and I couldn't recommend Panamoz highly enough. Their communication is great and you can track it all the way once dispatched.

Only took 3.5 days for mine to arrive and the 0.5 was a Sunday.

It even came with an English manual and 3 pin plug, so basically exactly as a UK model, but without the price

Last edited:
You will struggle to find a 2nd hand one at all, let alone a 2nd hand one for cheaper than Panamoz are doing for brand new.

I'm sure you're right, but it can't hurt to ask. If nothing comes of that then I need to decide whether to take a brave pill and order from overseas - something I've shied away from in the past.

Had my camera out today and using centre focus point and it keeps changing itself to another focus point if that gets focus. Has anyone had this happen to them? Never had this issue on my 60d. Wondering if it's supposed to do this, or if I need to send it back

By any chance were you changing from landscape to portrait? The camera remembers which focus point you have selected for each orientation. Just a quick thought. Also were you in Ai-Focus or Ai-Servo?

Stevie

By any chance were you changing from landscape to portrait? The camera remembers which focus point you have selected for each orientation. Just a quick thought. Also were you in Ai-Focus or Ai-Servo?

Stevie

I was changing between landscape and portrait but had centre point selected in both.

For instance when in portrait the centre point was flashing as in focus but I didn't take a shot. When I next tried to focus, the left hand focus point (which would be the top point if in landscape mode) then flashed red as if it was the focus point.

This was in one shot mode

Sounds like you know as much as me about the focus point changing depending on which way up the camera is. I haven't my camera to hand at the minute but remember when I first upgraded from the 60D not knowing why my focus point was changing. When it works it's fantastic though but that isn't any help to you at the moment. Sorry.

Stevie

A photo from the Shotover River with the workd famous Shotover Jet running through. Straight out the 6D with no PP

Back