Eos 6d Owners Thread!

It seems that my focus sometimes changes itself from manual one point focus to many point auto point focus.

Not sure if I'm catching something on the camera to make it change or if there is an issue.

It is very annoying though!

thinking of getting a 6D,can anyone recommend one lens to use with it,Ive read that the 24-105?L4 is good,what is your experience
with it please?
I mainly want to take photos of my cats and family and some country type shots.
thanks

I'm loving the 24-105 lens. It is a bit bigger than my old 18-50 f2.8 sigma but it just feels right on the 6D

It seems that my focus sometimes changes itself from manual one point focus to many point auto point focus.

Not sure if I'm catching something on the camera to make it change or if there is an issue.

It is very annoying though!

It still keeps doing this. I'm now certain that it's now me as I've been careful to ensure I'm not catching any of the buttons.

Today I've been lining up a shot using centre point and when I half press the shutter to focus, the focal point moves to another point all by itself. On some occasions it also changes to be all of the focal points I.el changes from one manual point to all auto points.

I believe his is a fault? Has anyone else had this issue?

I got it from panamoz and they are currently not shipping for a couple of weeks due to holidays so I've got a couple of weeks before I'd need to send it back.

It still keeps doing this. I'm now certain that it's now me as I've been careful to ensure I'm not catching any of the buttons.

Today I've been lining up a shot using centre point and when I half press the shutter to focus, the focal point moves to another point all by itself. On some occasions it also changes to be all of the focal points I.el changes from one manual point to all auto points.

I believe his is a fault? Has anyone else had this issue?

I got it from panamoz and they are currently not shipping for a couple of weeks due to holidays so I've got a couple of weeks before I'd need to send it back.

I think I've found the issue now. I think my forehead was slightly catching the multi point controller when in portrait mode.
This means that when I half press the shutter it moved the focal point.

I've turned the multi point controlled off focal point now, and it seems to be better. I'll try it properly tomorrow but hopefully my issue is resolved!

Does anyone have a UK version of the EOS Digital Solutions Disc that I could borrow? With my camera being a grey import the disc provided will not work in installing the web services software required to upload files from the body via wi-fi (as it is not supported in Asia). I have tried installing the UK version of the DS download available on the Canon website, but this hasn't solved anything. Apparently you need the disc. Has anyone else had a problem with this? It's an SSL Certificate error...

Last edited:
Does anyone have a UK version of the EOS Digital Solutions Disc that I could borrow? With my camera being a grey import the disc provided will not work in installing the web services software required to upload files from the body via wi-fi (as it is not supported in Asia). I have tried installing the UK version of the DS download available on the Canon website, but this hasn't solved anything. Apparently you need the disc. Has anyone else had a problem with this? It's an SSL Certificate error...

You could try this:
I didn't use the disc that came with mine and use this method instead and have wifi remote shooting etc working with perfectly as it should. I'd recommend uninstalling what you have then after unzipping this folder run Canon Software which will install the software as normal. After it is finished just run update 1 and then update 2. That should keep you right. I've no disc drive on this machine so was the way round it for me. The direct download from the Canon website is only to update the software but not install the whole thing.

Stevie

Can anyone recommend a non canon battery to use with the 6d? I don't really want to spend £50 on a canon version if I don't have to

I use the Baxxtaar Pro from Amazon (£20 each) and Hahnel (£29) batteries.

Both work perfectly and report accurate strengths back to the body without issue.

I use the Baxxtaar Pro from Amazon (£20 each) and Hahnel (£29) batteries.

Both work perfectly and report accurate strengths back to the body without issue.

Thanks. I've decided to try the Baxxtaar from Amazon

Thanks. I've decided to try the Baxxtaar from Amazon
They're pretty good, seem to last longer than the Canon battery as well!

I finally got myself a 6D yesterday, from LCE in Reading. Is there a thread discussing set up at all ?

You could try this:
I didn't use the disc that came with mine and use this method instead and have wifi remote shooting etc working with perfectly as it should. I'd recommend uninstalling what you have then after unzipping this folder run Canon Software which will install the software as normal. After it is finished just run update 1 and then update 2. That should keep you right. I've no disc drive on this machine so was the way round it for me. The direct download from the Canon website is only to update the software but not install the whole thing.

Stevie

Ta! I will give it a try and report back :)

thinking of getting a 6D,can anyone recommend one lens to use with it,Ive read that the 24-105?L4 is good,what is your experience
with it please?
I mainly want to take photos of my cats and family and some country type shots.
thanks

As a self confessed 'Mr Picky' I have found if you get a good one the 24-105mm is as good as anything including the mark II 24-70mm unless you want to use less than f4 a lot. Just my opinion from experience. I am sure DXo data will not back me up!

thankyou Corny(I'm sure your not :) ) can you advise any particular best apertures for it ,i.e. where it seems to perform strongest? as I'm quite new to all this.

I have a 50mm 1.8 left from my old camera.plus the new 24-105, I've heard good things about the 85mm1.8 but would it be something I'd appreciate over 85mm on the kit?
Thanks

I have had the 85mm and it was a very sharp lens. In my experience it is a bit sharper then most 24-105's. Is that extra sharpness important to you? Another lens well worth you considering if the Canon 100mm (non L version). Again it is that bit sharper than the 24-105. Both the 85 and 100 sell for about the same price secondhand.

I sold the 85mm and kept the 100mm simply because it gave me that little bit more reach for macro photography. I still have the 24-105 and the 100mm but the only time I use the 100mm is for macro photography. For everything else in this focal range the 24-105 suits my needs perfectly.

Hi Val,thankyou so much for sharing your experiences with those lenses.a bit sharper only and the fact you now tend to use the 24-105 has about
decided to me that i'd be better off saving my money and working on developing photography skills.
much appreciated.
regards
Chris

thankyou Corny(I'm sure your not :) ) can you advise any particular best apertures for it ,i.e. where it seems to perform strongest? as I'm quite new to all this.

I have good results even at f4, don't normally go past f11. All good though.

isn't it a bit wide for portraits?but be ideal for street yes?generally speaking of course:)

Last edited:
Yeah 35mm can be troublesome for singular portraits, you can easily throw a single person out of proportion...However when you get a group...35mm is perfect!

Anyone used the 6D to photograph a wedding? Got my first wedding shoot coming up and I'm planning on using the 6D as my main camera. What do people think of the grip? Necessary with larger lenses?

Can't comment on the wedding side but I got the BG13-E grip for my 6d and personally find it great. I'm used to them as have the built in one in my 1Dx. The ergonomics suit me but I guess not everyone.

What I did like is that it comes with two battery magazines. One for the standard LP batteries and one that takes AA's which is great for back up batts. I use some long lenses: 2, 3 & 500's + TC's and it is fine.

Hope that helps.

Oh forgot. You also get a little pouch to keep the unused battery mag assuming that the other is in your camera.

I heard somewhere that the 6D uses the same battery as the 60D, is this true? As I already have spares for my current 60D. If the battery grip fit too, that'd be even more of a bonus!

Yes it does use the same batteries. I believe it is a different battery grip though

Anyone used the 6D to photograph a wedding? Got my first wedding shoot coming up and I'm planning on using the 6D as my main camera. What do people think of the grip? Necessary with larger lenses?
I have a grip, the Canon one. I find it a great add on for the 6d, and especially good for weddings. Not only do you get the added benefit of the extra battery power and use of the AA emergency cartridge, the extra trigger and controls on the side make portrait shooting very comfortable.

I heard somewhere that the 6D uses the same battery as the 60D, is this true? As I already have spares for my current 60D. If the battery grip fit too, that'd be even more of a bonus!

Same as the 7D also, which was handy for me as I have 4 of them already.

Just purchased the Meike grip from Amazon, will let everyone know what it's like upon arrival!

Back