Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Hey everybody, looking to add to my kit...looking for cheap and cheerful as its only going to be used at home.

Just want peoples thoughts on the following..

Cheap Tripod

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-Tripod-Carry-Case/dp/B0000WXD16 = £17.99

It can take the weight of my kit...just going to be taking stills of the kids. Apart from its budget...any reason not to buy...or if you know a better one in the same ball park figure...

Wired Remote... Can't get on with the App...too much of a faff to and too much of a delay! Again...anyone know of anything cheaper than can do the same?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramozz-Shutter-Release-Remote-Control/dp/B00C1X5DCE = Priced at £14.76

1. Delay / Self Timer (DELAY)
Just like the self timer on your camera. The timer remote switch allows you to set any delay (in 1 second increments) up to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds.

2. Interval Timer (INTVL)
The Interval Timer can be set to any time period up to 100 hours as well. If you set it to 10 minutes, for example, one exposure will be taken every 10 minutes until either the film runs out or the Exposure Count limit has been reached.

3. BULB/Long Exposure (LONG)
It allows you to take time exposures up to 100 hours long.

4. Exposure Count (N)
This setting allows you to set the times of exposures that will be taken, up to a total 399 times. For example, if you set it to 30 times, then the exposure will be only taken 30 times.

Specification:

-Self-Timer: 0s to 99hrs 59min 59s in one-second increments
-Interval Timer: 1s to 99hrs 59min 59s in one-second increments
-Long-Exposure Timer (Bulb-mode): 0s to 99hrs 59min 59s in one-second increments
-Exposure Count: 1 times to 399 times.
-Size: 154mmL x 40mmW x 18mmH (6.1'' x1.6''x0.7'')
-Net Weight: 185g
-Cable Length: 920mm
-Power Supply: AAA Battery 1.5v

Package Includes:

1 X Timer Shutter Release Cord
1 X English Instruction Manual

Hey everybody, looking to add to my kit...looking for cheap and cheerful as its only going to be used at home.

Just want peoples thoughts on the following..

Cheap Tripod

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-Tripod-Carry-Case/dp/B0000WXD16 = £17.99

It can take the weight of my kit...just going to be taking stills of the kids. Apart from its budget...any reason not to buy...or if you know a better one in the same ball park figure...

Wired Remote... Can't get on with the App...too much of a faff to and too much of a delay! Again...anyone know of anything cheaper than can do the same?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramozz-Shutter-Release-Remote-Control/dp/B00C1X5DCE = Priced at £14.76

1. Delay / Self Timer (DELAY)
Just like the self timer on your camera. The timer remote switch allows you to set any delay (in 1 second increments) up to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds.

2. Interval Timer (INTVL)
The Interval Timer can be set to any time period up to 100 hours as well. If you set it to 10 minutes, for example, one exposure will be taken every 10 minutes until either the film runs out or the Exposure Count limit has been reached.

3. BULB/Long Exposure (LONG)
It allows you to take time exposures up to 100 hours long.

4. Exposure Count (N)
This setting allows you to set the times of exposures that will be taken, up to a total 399 times. For example, if you set it to 30 times, then the exposure will be only taken 30 times.

Specification:

-Self-Timer: 0s to 99hrs 59min 59s in one-second increments
-Interval Timer: 1s to 99hrs 59min 59s in one-second increments
-Long-Exposure Timer (Bulb-mode): 0s to 99hrs 59min 59s in one-second increments
-Exposure Count: 1 times to 399 times.
-Size: 154mmL x 40mmW x 18mmH (6.1'' x1.6''x0.7'')
-Net Weight: 185g
-Cable Length: 920mm
-Power Supply: AAA Battery 1.5v

Package Includes:

1 X Timer Shutter Release Cord
1 X English Instruction Manual

The remote release cable is fine - not much point spending ridiculous money on them. Even if it does meet its demise quicker than an official one, it's cheap enough to replace and doesn't pose a risk of damaging your gear. The tripod on the other hand, don't even bother buying a cheap and nasty one like that. They're fine for indoor use, but absolutely useless outside. I used to have a cheap tripod not dissimilar to the one you linked. My 7D and 10-22 took a tumble onto some rocks after a gust of wind blew the tripod over. Luckily a decent amount of snow broke the fall - the accident would have written my gear off otherwise. After then I decided to invest in a slighty more robust tripod to support my gear. I went with a Redsnapper. Check them out; they're serious bang for buck! http://www.redsnapperuk.com/

The remote release cable is fine - not much point spending ridiculous money on them. Even if it does meet its demise quicker than an official one, it's cheap enough to replace and doesn't pose a risk of damaging your gear. The tripod on the other hand, don't even bother buying a cheap and nasty one like that. They're fine for indoor use, but absolutely useless outside. I used to have a cheap tripod not dissimilar to the one you linked. My 7D and 10-22 took a tumble onto some rocks after a gust of wind blew the tripod over. Luckily a decent amount of snow broke the fall - the accident would have written my gear off otherwise. After then I decided to invest in a slighty more robust tripod to support my gear. I went with a Redsnapper. Check them out; they're serious bang for buck! http://www.redsnapperuk.com/

Hi Eddzz thanks for the quick reply. Cheers for the info on the remote. Will most likely go for it.

As for the tripod, it will only be used indoors...and chances are it will only be used for portraits as well. Tired of stacking up nesting tables and resting my camera on it to take family shots. My type of photography is my kids and family and friends. I looked at the redsnapper ones in the link and that is really more than I wanted to spend on a tripod given its use. If its ok for indoor use...then I will still go for it. I can always buy a decent one if I ever found the need to take it outside.

Argghh...don't you just hate it when you do more reading! I think I'm going to stick to my nesting tables till I've got the funds for the Redsnapper now!

Will get the remote and go from there!! lol

Argghh...don't you just hate it when you do more reading! I think I'm going to stick to my nesting tables till I've got the funds for the Redsnapper now!

Will get the remote and go from there!! lol

What have you read? Honestly, those cheap tripods are fine as long as you use them inside/back garden. Don't listen to scaremongering.

Its not so much about how bad they are...When you read some of the problems people have had with them...plastic clips breaking etc. Then you think for an extra £40 you can get a quality one with the metal clips which is a lot more stronger, it makes you think twice. I've always been one for going with idea, buy once and buy properly...just at this moment in time funds are very tight. So once that situation changes I will get something that should last me.

Its not so much about how bad they are...When you read some of the problems people have had with them...plastic clips breaking etc. Then you think for an extra £40 you can get a quality one with the metal clips which is a lot more stronger, it makes you think twice. I've always been one for going with idea, buy once and buy properly...just at this moment in time funds are very tight. So once that situation changes I will get something that should last me.

If you're willing to put some money away from the monthly pay cheques, then the Redsnapper tripods really are a great investment. Best thing is, if any part of it breaks (not that it will), it's easily replaceable as all the moving parts are detachable with allen keys.

Ok, while perusing amazon for things... I found this!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Wireless-Remote-Control-Cameras/dp/B00BCEJ0E0

Its an Amazon basic remote for Canon just for £6.99. Not bad! I will get the Ramozz, if and when I need the extra features! :)

Will let you all know how good it is or whether it will be going straight back and either getting the original or the Ramozz one.

It will work just fine. All it is is an infrared remote. Make sure to set your camera to the right shooting mode and to point the remote at the front of the camera.

I just today bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004B9Q1NQ

Cheaper than the "Amazon Basics" one, and includes the two second timer option. Doesn't say it supports the 6D, but it appears to be the same as the RC6 so should work. Will report back when it arrives tomorrow (I have prime so free next day delivery).

Well, arrived today and I have to say it's great. Has the two-second timer switch on the back, and works well with the 6D. I can now easily take family pictures with me in them :)

I went on a bit of a spending spree today and ordered a 6D along with a 24-105 & 50mm 1.4 (amongst other things!).

Can't wait to try it out, it'll be my first full frame coming from a 7D.

You will love it. I came from a 7D and have not looked back. I use mine with a 24-105 and its a nice combination.

Have fun.

I recently bought a 6D to run alongside my 7D. It is a definite step up in image quality and allows for tighter cropping. They are two completely different beasts though. I know much has been said about the, supposed, focussing issues of the 6D but it isn't the camera to buy for action photography, 7D is much better. However from my experiences so far the 6D handles low light so much better, I'm looking forward to doing some night shoots with it.

You will love it. I came from a 7D and have not looked back. I use mine with a 24-105 and its a nice combination.

Have fun.

Thanks!

Yeah low light is what really interests me, I very rarely used my 7D for any 'fast' shots anyway so I think having full frame, superb IQ and incredible low light performance will suit me far better.

The low light focusing will blow you away, it is outstanding. I didn't need the extensive focusing or speed of focus of the 7D. I also found the noise handling on the 7D was not great.

The low light focusing will blow you away, it is outstanding. I didn't need the extensive focusing or speed of focus of the 7D. I also found the noise handling on the 7D was not great.

Some of my best images have been taken with the 7D and at various ISO speeds. My favourite concert photos were shot with the 7D, with a 70-200 at ISO 3200 - no noise complaints from me! It is still my camera of choice for any action and undoubtedly a more robust camera all round. I do love my 6D, however, and will use it for most situations. With it being so light it is also a great camera for travel and when out and about with the girlfriend.

Yes, it's the same as all the Canon's in that respect, just set it through the menu.

I've used my 6D for motorsport shots and it works great using Servo AF.

I've heard a few people say that the 6D isn't any use for action shots. But I really can't see what they base that on? It is absolutely brilliant at it, far better than the 7D I used before, in fact I got rid of the 7D as a result!

Yep, it's great for action, even indoors. The centre point is very sensitive and tracks brilliantly.

I didn't mean to suggest the 6D can't be used for action shots! Having the luxury of both 6D & 7D means I can choose 'horse for course' and, personally I do find the 7D's focussing structure works well for me on fast action stuff. However I haven't had the 6D long and not the opportunity to really try it on some fast moving subjects, so will do and see how it goes!

I've had my 6D for 6 months now - what a great piece of kit.

Was very impressed with the performance at RIAT this year, such an upgrade from my Canon 30D!

I've just bought a 6D and I'm impressed with it so far. So much so that I splashed out on a 35L at the weekend. It'll probably be my only lens for a while until I save some more pennies!

I didn't mean to suggest the 6D can't be used for action shots! Having the luxury of both 6D & 7D means I can choose 'horse for course' and, personally I do find the 7D's focussing structure works well for me on fast action stuff. However I haven't had the 6D long and not the opportunity to really try it on some fast moving subjects, so will do and see how it goes!

I took that combo to RIAT. I ended up not using the 7D, and comparing the 6D pictures against those using a 7D from previous RIAT's there is a very obvious difference. The 6D's results were far better.
In fact the difference is so marked, I sold my 7D and got a 5D Mk3. I still find the 6D to be the better action camera, with the exception of the max burst in raw.

I took that combo to RIAT. I ended up not using the 7D, and comparing the 6D pictures against those using a 7D from previous RIAT's there is a very obvious difference. The 6D's results were far better.
In fact the difference is so marked, I sold my 7D and got a 5D Mk3. I still find the 6D to be the better action camera, with the exception of the max burst in raw.
I've been using the 6D some more over the past few days, and, yes, it is fine for action shots. Just a different way of using it. I agree 100% about the quality of shots, I am able to get a good crop from a photo at, say 200mm focal length on the 6D that I wouldn't be able to get at 300mm on the 7D (lenses like for like L series).

Got my new 6D and I must say I absolutely love it.

Its a compliment to my 2 crop bodies that I use and my word, the iq at high iso is unreal.

Not had chance to put it through its paces yet, certainly not on fast moving but so far, very very impressed.

I have just come back to this camera and I should never have left.

Early this year I upgraded from a 550D to a 6D seeking to improve my photography, it didn't really work, (as much as I would have liked) I continued to think that there was something better out there, so I sold up and bought into Fuji (EX-1) that didn't work either, sold up and bought a Nikon D7100 and that didn't work, sold up and bought into Fuji XT-1 and guess what, "IT WORKED" err no it didn't.

Somewhere in amongst that lot were a pair of Sigma DP Merrils (2 and 3) a Nikon D2X and a Fuji XA-1.

I thought I wanted smaller and lighter but I didn't, the 6D is just the right size, just like Goldilock's porridge, not too heavy but feels good in your hand, controls are well set out, good menus and a top notch performance in terms of use and IQ.

Most of the problems I had (and still have) are mine and not the cameras and changing system is not a cure or panacea. It has cost me quite a lot of money to find out that the 6D is a damn site more capable than I will ever be, I cannot envisage any situation that I throw at it where it will not cope, and very very well.

I'm enjoying my hobby again and it really is thanks to this camera, it's a pleasure to use, to handle and to own.

Application for job at Canon is in the post :)

I'm sat waiting for the doorbell to go, with a delivery man bringing my new 6D. Thankfully I wont have to wait to charge the batteries as I'll use the ones from my 5D3 or 70D so I can have a play straight away. I really got it as a backup for my 5D3 for weddings and other events as I missed some shots while changing lenses at a recent wedding. I'll have the 5d3 with a 24-70, the 6D with a 17-40 for large group shots or something else if it's only a small gathering and then the 70D with any other lens suitable to the function. I'm really looking forward to the low light ability of the 6D, the 5D3 is great at higher ISO's but the 6D is 'apparently better' (haven't had a play to compare them yet so I can't judge for myself) and I have a shoot booked for a small, dark club with a book signing in a separate room. That'll probably be the first event it gets used for so it'll give me time to get to know it well before I use it for the shoot.

Oh my, I really hate waiting, hurry up Mr. UPS driver....Pleeeaaasssseeee!!!!

I'm not one for messing about with High ISO's, in fact, mine almost never leaves 100, and then usually just to the L setting.
But i took this on HMS Victory. The light, was almost nil, the fake Latins and that was about it, apart from some sunlight linking in from outside On Auto ISO.....

13491527863_3a3df30b8c_b.jpg

Just bought a 100-400l from the classifieds and went out with it today, coupled with the 6d, what a great combination.

Lioness 3 by Tim100s, on Flickr

Well I have to say my first impressions of my new 6D are very favourable. The focus speed is the first thing I noticed, it's faster than most of the bodies I've had so far. I think my 5D3 is slightly faster I think, but then I paid around 3 times the amount of the 6D for that. I can't wait to use it at the first event I shoot with it, I think it'll be a cracker. Tim, the big cat shot above is a belter, I was out with my 100-400 L today around the village and got a shot of a cat, but only a ginger tom for me.

Just got my 6D this morning. Not had much chance to play around with it but from the test shots I was doing I got a feeling I'm going to love it.

OK, I'm geting a 6d - took a while but I really need one (although my wife doesn't agree lol).
I currently have a 600d so need to know does the 6d take the same sd cards as the 600d?

Also, has anyone used a non-Canon battery grip - I use one for my 600d and find it really useful but can't warrant the £170+ of the BG-13 for the 6d.

[edit] Looking at something like this

Last edited:
Back