Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Ive just gone from the 600D to the 6D and you will love it.

Yep uses all same SD cards.

Cant comment on the battery grip as not got one with my 6D as after using i didnt feel like i needed one whereas when i was using the 600D i found it more comfy in my hands.

Thans James.

Can anyone comment on the non-Canon battery grips please?
I have a meike battery grip on my 6d and can't fault it. Great build quality, feels nice and performs perfectly. For £25 i paid from China bargain :)

I have a meike battery grip on my 6d and can't fault it. Great build quality, feels nice and performs perfectly. For £25 i paid from China bargain :)

What about batteries Sharky, did it come with any or did you buy seperate?

Yes, it'll use any SD card.

I've only used (got) the Canon grip so can't comment on the Third party grips, however, I find the Canon grip a little too large, if that makes sense?!

Another vote for third party grip and batteries.

At about 15% of the price, the grip from amazon, not a meike, was a bargain. OK, may not last as long, but I would have to buy several before we went beyond the Canon price.
Batteries were £20 each again from amozen, and no issues with them at all.

(Got Canon grip so only speculating)

Think third party grips are fine but you've just got to choose carefully, seems there are varying grades.

Sounds like the Meike ones get a good rep, but I compared my official grip to some third party ones in a Chinese market and those were fairly light and naff.

The Canon one is kind of a structural extension of the body (I believe it has an internal metal frame, etc.), whereas some of the really cheap ones are all-plastic and could physically fail.

OK, I'm geting a 6d - took a while but I really need one (although my wife doesn't agree lol).
I currently have a 600d so need to know does the 6d take the same sd cards as the 600d?

Also, has anyone used a non-Canon battery grip - I use one for my 600d and find it really useful but can't warrant the £170+ of the BG-13 for the 6d.

[edit] Looking at something like this

6D takes the same cards as the 600D, SD cards. Also there are quite a few people using unofficial grips. So now you should be able to get one ;)

Yay - finally ordered my new camera - as I already own an EF24-105L and EF50mm 1.8 I opted for: 6d Body, Speedlight 600EX-RT and 2 x 32GB SD cards for just over £1200 - bargain :)
I will purchase a battery grip once it arrives.

I would like to know if the instruction manual is very useful/in-depth or can anyone recommend a book on the 6D. I did buy 'Snap shots to Great shots' for my 600D but I've heard reviews on the 6D version say it's a very general book and not particularly geared towards the 6D?

Cheers Sharky, but it only makes me want it to come quicker - I've had a quick look though and seems just what I'm after thanks...:canon:

Couldn't wait til camera arrives so bought a 3rd party battery grip with 2 batteries and a Hoya 77mm UV filter

I really need to stop spending now :)

Is it correct that I can't rename the first few characters of the filename?
Can do this on my 7D but can't find it anywhere on the menu on the 6D.

Is it correct that I can't rename the first few characters of the filename?
Can do this on my 7D but can't find it anywhere on the menu on the 6D.

Apparently this feature is not available on the 6d - although my 6d hasn't actually arrived yet, I've watched countless you tube clips.

That's what I thought from looking on the net but wanted to check there was no hiden secret way to do it. Can't see why they haven't made it available on the 6D as its a simple but helpful thing when shooting with more than 1 camera

Gotta love the 6D, hardly showing it off especially with the low resolution but its a beast for everything, product photography, weddings, its a great camera and recommended to anyone.

Random shot of my 60D with the 70-200 on as we were asked if we would do product photography so thought I would try it on our own stuff before taking someones money

ok, Got my battery grip and looks good quality - my 6d body & speedlight 600 should arrive very soon so am looking for a larger bag now to house the following:

Canon 6d + 24-105L + battery grip
Canon 600d + 50mm 1.8 + battery grip
Canon Speedlight 430EXII
Canon Speedlight 600EX-RT
Canon EF-S 18-55 & 55-250 (although these will be replaced soon.
plus various accessories (remotes, cleaning equipment etc.) and various filters

Can anyone suggest something that can hold all this (without breaking the bank)

Thank

Justin

[edit] By the way Daleg - that's a nice pic :) What model is the 70-200 and is it any good?

Last edited:
ive got a 6D incoming and have read some good things about the meike grip, definitely going to give it a go for the price! will post up some comments (even though its been done to death) on my thoughts :)

ive got a 6D incoming and have read some good things about the meike grip, definitely going to give it a go for the price! will post up some comments (even though its been done to death) on my thoughts :)

I got this one for just over £40 and includes 2 batteries - it arrived quickly and looks good quality.

I love my 6D....a definite upgrade from the 500D I had, excellent in low light and though I was worried about size & weight...it is something you get used to (compared to a crop camera)

Interesting.... What are your thoughts on aftermarket batteries though? I was planning on a meikegripp but canon batteries?

I've had aftermarket batteries and grip on my 600d with no problems whatsoever - I refuse to pay Canon prices for extra batteries.

I don't have the MeikeGrip for my 6D but tried one for the 60D and it was decent quality. The Canon one feels heavier and more robust though.

The Canon grips have a metal body (more of an extension on the body) hence they will feel heavier and more robust. Still at 1/4 of the price I would rather go aftermarket mysef - obviously if money was no object then things would be different...

Does anyone have any issues in using the like of the Meike grips on the 6D with a relatively heavy lens and using a Blackrapid (or similar) strap? Don't want the whole lot to land on the ground!

Thanks

Stevie

@Stevies i've always understood you anchor to the heaviest item, so if the lens is heavier than the body + grip anchor to that or vice versa. That way the lesser weight is stressing the camera lens mount.

I use the Optech strap system which has two anchor points so for heavier lens (70-200 2.8, 400 5.6) i clip to both the grip and lens vs the body / grip only for lighter lens. The Meike grip has a metal plate in the bottom of it and seems very secure. A quick Google around to see if anyone has reported failed mounting points might be worth while if you're worried. Personally never had a problem though (/touches wood).

Last edited:
Totally random battered old sign, for some reason I liked it, although I had a dog trying to jump me so the bottom was chopped from the framing, worst bit was it wasn't even my dog. haha

Iso 2000, 1/250th @ 500mm

Totally random battered old sign, for some reason I liked it, although I had a dog trying to jump me so the bottom was chopped from the framing, worst bit was it wasn't even my dog. haha

Iso 2000, 1/250th @ 500mm

Crikey - what aftershave was you wearing :D

Nice pic - is that really ISO 2000 or was that a typo?

Crikey - what aftershave was you wearing :D

Nice pic - is that really ISO 2000 or was that a typo?

haha ! I believe it was sex panther... If you know anchor man you will know what I mean. haha

Yes indeed iso 2000 :) , superb noise handling, its absurdly detailed zoomed in to 100% still :)

Crop here Justin :)

And its not even with a sharp lens, was only the sigma 150-500 and thats not the worlds sharpest lens by a long shot.

Last edited:
Crop here Justin :)

And its not even with a sharp lens, was only the sigma 150-500 and thats not the worlds sharpest lens by a long shot.

That's goota be kingfisher poo I reckon - they use posts to bash fish before eating them - I would go back (stealthily) and try and get a pic of it - I love kingfishers but hard to photo as they are so fast.

Back