EOS M - Infra Red

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody, hope someone can point me in the right direction :)

Is it possible to convert an EOS M to infra red?

Many thanks ;)

It shouldn't be a problem. I have a couple of bodies (5D2's) converted by Protech Photographic in Sussex......give them a call or drop them an email.

Bob

Many thanks Bob, I'll update this post once i know the answer (y)

Hi Bob, sorry but, why two?

The other alternative is to have it converted to full spectrum, then just use external filters to suit
You need to be aware that going down this route has its own limitations. Exposure times are considerably longer and anything that moves (trees, grass etc) will have some motion blur.

Bob

Putting an IR filter on an unconverted camera will definitely lengthen exposure times, but there is less difference in exposure times between a fully IR converted camera and one that is full spectrum with filters. I have a full spectrum Nikon J1 and use a Hoya R72 filter and exposure times are a fraction of what they would be if used the same filter on an unconverted camera.

I can happily use the J1 handheld and get decent (short exposure times), I don't get Motion Blur unless intentional The big advantage is that I can just select the filter that I want to use, rather than have a camera for every occasion. But for the ultimate Bob is right, have a converted camera for each desired wavelength.

Thank you both, I need to do some homework :confused:

MPB Photographic have an EOS M at £140.00 ish, I think I'll go for that and after some study time I'll decide with wave length option to go for.

Protech will carry out the conversion for £220.00. Reasonable enough.

Once again, many thanks for the help and I will update this post when I am able to (y)

Last edited:
You should also be aware that many lenses don't perform well in the infrared spectrum and produce areas of vastly reduced contrast (known as hotspots). It'd pay you to research the performance of any lenses you intend to use rather than discover the fact after paying for the conversion.

Bob

You should also be aware that many lenses don't perform well in the infrared spectrum and produce areas of vastly reduced contrast (known as hotspots). It'd pay you to research the performance of any lenses you intend to use rather than discover the fact after paying for the conversion.

Bob

+1 on that. Many L zooms perform pretty poorly in IR.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you go ahead with a conversion @Norkie. If so, how were/are the results?

I have an original EOS M and was thinking of having it converted to 720nm.

No I've not Ploddles, not really sure why not :( The old 'didn't get round to it' syndrome ;)

It is on my list though, I very much like the style of infra red and so it will be done.

Keep us up to date with your conversion if you take the plunge please.

Can get it done for £99.99, a whole 1p off £100, so it may be worth it just as a punt. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Where can you get it done for that price? I've got an original EOS M I'd been thinking of selling, but if it costs under a ton to convert I'd be interested.

I've seen various prices ranging from £75 - £275 but THIS seems the keenest as they use a glass filter as well rather than the plastic that some use.

That's worthy of serious consideration isn't it?

I was considering getting a Powershot G something or other and then converting my M.

Well mine is all packaged up ready to send off tomorrow.

Will update when I get it back, take a couple of pics and post them. Won't be anything special, just a test to see what it is like.

Your 16-35/4 is brilliant for IR, Vaughan, and don't forget that you'll have to use Liveview to focusing.

Bob

Cheers Bob, I think it's worth a punt for £99.99 + £10 special delivery for the return postage.

Sent it off this morning

The EOS M only has Liveview for focusing so at least I won't forget about that aspect of it.

Got the camera back now so as soon as it stops peeing it down outside I'll take a couple of test shots and post them up.

As promised, I stopped at the park and took a couple of pics between the showers and when the wind wasn't blowing me over.

In order to compare, I took 1 shot with my phone so that you can see the colour version (framing may be slightly different between all the photos but you will get the general gist), 1 with the EOS M set to Intelligent Auto and a 3rd with it set to Basic AV mode.

The IA ones are very red and the AV ones look OK in the Finder (Explorer) but have a pink tinge when imported to Lightroom. Absolutely NO editing done in LR at all. A bit of colour correction and channel swapping would improve them greatly but, as said, these have no editing.

Colour1.jpg by Vorn Eo, on Flickr

IntelligentAuto1.jpg by Vorn Eo, on Flickr

Basic1.jpg by Vorn Eo, on Flickr

Colour2.jpg by Vorn Eo, on Flickr

IntelligentAuto2.jpg by Vorn Eo, on Flickr

Basic2.jpg by Vorn Eo, on Flickr

Hope that helps if you are considering getting it done.

That's a lens to avoid, Vaughan.....hot spot dead centre......most noticeable on the mauve version of the one closer to the houses.

Are you up to speed on custom white balance setting and the options it'll open up for you in PP?

Bob

Cheers Bob. Just used the kit lens to make sure it was working ok. In 'real life' I'll be doing custom WB and using my EF lens'.

Plus, shooting in RAW changing the WB afterwards is not a problem.

I don't think I can complain at the conversion for £99, I'd rather have someone else do it for me than try and do it myself, I'd probably kill the camera.

Plus, shooting in RAW changing the WB afterwards is not a problem.

I don't think I can complain at the conversion for £99, I'd rather have someone else do it for me than try and do it myself, I'd probably kill the camera.

Be aware that most editing software doesn't have the necessary latitude for IR WB adjustment and you might need to go lower......this can be achieved using CWB at the time.
£99's a bargain.

Bob

For those interested, London Camera Exchange has a full spectrum M secondhand with 22mm STM for sale this morning, £299 (with set of IR filters)

Back