Epping & Ongar Railway End of Tube Event

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
On 30 September 1994 the last tube train left Ongar Station.
Now, twenty years later, they brought it back!

The Craven Stock used on the final day of service between Epping & Ongar was preserved and 20 years on from the end of the London Transport Service, the Epping & Ongar Railway ran the stock from the last service.

LT Craven Stock Ongar Station Epping & Ongar Railway
by timz2011, on Flickr

Met 1 was also on Duty (though failed around lunchtime)

Met 1 Epping & Ongar Railway
by timz2011, on Flickr

As the Line is not yet open as far as Epping, a Heritage bus service was run on the route 339 by a wide selection of heritage buses.

RM CRL RML - Epping & Ongar Railway
by timz2011, on Flickr

Further shots from the day on my Flickr account - Epping & Ongar album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/sets/72157648084728706/

Nice bit of nostalgia and thanks for sharing

One question, how did they get the Craven unit running without a third rail?

Cheers
Rich

You can't see from that shot, but there are 4 yellow tube maintenance diesel locos at the far end.

Thanks, that explains it then

no 2 my favourite, nice angle.. I feel #1 would benifit from a similar angle also reflections of what looks like a prefab building in the frount windows.

Looking forward to seeing Met no1 at Swanage soon and have there been any developments regarding the green 3CIG unit Farringford which I was informed is up for sale

no 2 my favourite, nice angle.. I feel #1 would benifit from a similar angle also reflections of what looks like a prefab building in the frount windows.

Looking forward to seeing Met no1 at Swanage soon and have there been any developments regarding the green 3CIG unit Farringford which I was informed is up for sale

Hi Ken,
#2 was taken crouched down, I agree, loco shots do tend to look better from lower down.
The tube, however, was taken on a crowded platform (we had waited 3 hours at Ongar due to Met 1 breaking down and casing the whole service to stop), and is actually quite a lot smaller than the kettle.
I hadn't noticed the reflection of the building, but now you mention it :( :(

Thanks for the comments.

Back