Erasmus Bridge, Rotterdam

Edit My Images
Yes
I was on a work trip to Rotterdam last week and managed to take a few shots of this pretty stunning bridge. I've wanted to visit it ever since seeing shots of it by Joel Tjintjelaar (BWvision.com). I want to work more on these so I am posting here to get your thoughts on any tweaks or reworkings.

15293325381_e787155952_b.jpg

15109711769_cdafd60752_b.jpg

15109917917_6d668c55d8_b.jpg

First two with a Fuji XE1 (14mm and 35mm), last one with a Sigma DP1M.

Thanks for looking.

First one looks superb so I'd leave that one alone if it was mine. Second one, I can't help thinking that it looks a bit unbalanced with one upright white and the other one so dark in comparison. Think I'd be looking at lightening the darker side. Third one looks good although I think I'd be tempted to clone out whatever that white thing is down at bottom right. That spoils it in my view.

Last edited:
First one looks superb so I'd leave that one alone if it was mine. Second one, I can't help thinking that it looks a bit unbalanced with one upright white and the other one so dark in comparison. Think I'd be looking at lightening the darker side. Third one looks good although I think I'd be tempted to clone out whatever that white thing is down at bottom right. That spoils it in my view.

The second one does look unbalanced and that's all my fault as I purposely darkened the one side, so I should be able to fix that. The white thing in shot three is a bollard thing on the quayside (the thing you tie boats to). For anybody else it would be easy to clone outbut I know I'll make a pig's ear of it. I'll give it a go though. Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Thanks to everyone else for the encouraging words. Our host was explaining the bridge was nicknamed the swan. I don't see it myself and thought the harp was more appropriate, but it is still a very striking bridge.

Nicely composed shots but I think the sky, sea and LHS of the B&W images are too dark. The colour image is good but could do with more room on the RHS and the hand rail in the bottom RH corner could be removed.

Yeah, I cropped too tonight for the colour shot and when I corrected the verticals I lost too much room on the RHS. To be honest, that was just a snap and not the shot I had planned but it came out better than I expected. As I said above, I am rubbish at cloning but would indeed take out the metal thingy were I to print it.

The dark water and skies in the B&Ws was the look I was after, and not to everyone's taste I agree. Both were taken in broad daylight and the sky is only dark because of a red filter so I could change those if I wanted. But the idea was to make the bridge leap out, especially in the first, an emulation of Joel Tjintjelaar's similar shot.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Back