Even more price rises on the way

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
My contact at a wholesaler tells me that Canon and Sigma prices will be going up (again, in Canon's case) on February 1st.

talk about pricing out of the market
catch 22 i suppose,
no one buying exchange rate crap price rise.

cant afford to pay the prices now for the lens let alone 1st feb

Endless price rises can only end with insufficient sales to support the business.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how it all Pan's out, as we all know in a recession the first things to get the boot are luxury's ie gym membership, going out for meal's and and drinks, and hobby's etc etc, i'm guessing most of us here are working class and have probably had to save for our kit or maybe got the odd birthday or Christmas gift, so in general i doubt if the majority of us will be so readily going out for the latest upgrades, which leaves the few with cash to splash and the pro's who need it for their work, can shop's survive we just these, given the way digital has increased sale's in the last few year's for joe public it will be interesting to see :shrug:

My contact at a wholesaler tells me that Canon and Sigma prices will be going up (again, in Canon's case) on February 1st.

Guess you made a worthwhile saving on your last pre-increase order:)

I came across a good example recently. I was after a Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS which was retailing around the £340 mark. For once I had a bit of luck & picked one up pre owned in mint condition for £240 :woot:

Warehouse Express who had them @ £340 restocked & they are now £430 - an increase of nearly 100 sheets!

As stated in other posts, if prices keep rising, then surely the market will fall as consumers pull their belts in?

Ian

As stated in other posts, if prices keep rising, then surely the market will fall as consumers pull their belts in?Ian

I am sure it will happpen.
I missed the comet price on the Canon 10-22mm lens this week but luckily enough I found another new one for just under £500.
At a push I would have paid £530 max but certainly not the Jessops price of £569 and don't even start me on WHE latest price.
If I had missed out I would of sat back and waited as long as needed.
Unless people are cash rich and don't care about the prices, then both retailers and e-tailers are going to be concerned about their sales of DLSR kit until the pound gains stength against the yen.

I was looking at the prices for the Nikon 300mm f/2.8 VR yesterday - a couple of weeks ago I saw new ones advertised in UK dealers adverts at around £26-2700, yesterday on Ebay they were £3600 for gray imports....

I noticed on Canon's website this morning that the suggested recommended retail price of the 24-105mmL has gone up from £1200 to £1329 since yesterday.

I noticed on Canon's website this morning that the suggested recommended retail price of the 24-105mmL has gone up from £1200 to £1329 since yesterday.

That's mad, I paid £550 brand new for mine a year ago... :wacky:

Blimey, I'm glad we bought all our kit last year, I was toying with the idea of a longer macro lens, but what with being self employed, and about to start the build of our new house, I think that'll get shelved!

Mr YV has don eplenty of moaning about the amount I have spent on lenses and bodies in the last couple of years, but even his grateful I pestered to get them when I did because I could now sell most of it s/h for the same price I paid new if prices at dealers and ebay are anyhting to go by [not that I plan to of course]. Its just insane. As already pointed out, if they hike prices further, sales will continue to fall and profit deteriorate even further. It could leave the market wide open for someone with enough financial clout to take a temporary hit on margins and make a killing, particularly with those not yet brand commited.

24-70L SRP £1449 (WE £1049)
70-200 f2.8 IS L SRP £2239 (WE £1550)

I paid £1779 for the pair 3 months ago.

Unless people are cash rich and don't care about the prices, then both retailers and e-tailers are going to be concerned about their sales of DLSR kit until the pound gains stength against the yen.

No way will prices drop when the pound gains strength.

Don't forget even when we had a really strong pound a year ago, stuff in the US was often close to half the price, so its a lot more than currency.

We've always had high prices. They won't drop back down until they are due replacement.

Holy...

Canon 1DS Mk3 £6000 >> £8600

Hubby paid £748 for a D90 with the 18-105 kit lens and an 8gb hdsc card and a uv lens.. from jessops went intoday and the price is now £799 just for D90 and lens and ther was no way they were going to give us a deal on anything.. We tried just to see what they would say..as hubby now wants a D90..

No way will prices drop when the pound gains strength.

Don't forget even when we had a really strong pound a year ago, stuff in the US was often close to half the price, so its a lot more than currency.

We've always had high prices. They won't drop back down until they are due replacement.

America has traditionally been cheaper for consumer electronics, clothes, petrol etc.
I'm not defending their cheaper prices but they have lower import taxes etc than europe does.
The likes of Sony and MS have previously given interviews as to why there are price differences.

I'm not convinced these prices are here to stay until the products are due for replacement.
Sony are rumoured to be doing a price drop sometime this year on the PS3.
Granted it's not assembled in Japan like the DSLR kit and yet they've announced massie profit losses.
A Canon (representative in an interview with amateur photographer (I think it was with them) stated that canon will keep any eye on the currency fluctuations on a month to month basis and will adjust prices accordingly.
Don't forget than Canon also produce inket printers and these are also set to rise in price.
I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a lot more cheap printers than they do consumer and pro DSLR kit.
There is no way the consumer market will withstand price hikes like these without major losses in sales if they are not adjusted in the future.
I'm sure we all know people who have cut their spending and have heard of potential redundancies with their employers.
Consumer spending as we all know is down and once we get out of the current recession and pound grows stronger, it still doesn't mean we will all be getting 10% pay rises.

The likes of Canon and Nikon are not involved in the mass electronic products like TV's DVD players etc.
Yet these type of companies are also going to have to raise prices.
They want customer to have more than one widescreen TFT in their homes hence the agressive pricing on this type of kit.
Once the pound is stronger they will only be too happy to reducing their prices to get their kit in the home.
Therefore DSLR companies will have to follow suit.

Another area that has seen price hikes and drops over the years is computer memory chips.
Although none of this was due to recessions, some of it was down to currency fluctuations.
As soon as production cost fell so has the price of the chips.

One thing is for sure, we've not seen a situation like this for a very long time so it's going to be interesting to see how it does pan out.

Last edited:
The RRP of the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 has gone up from 2295.99 to 2999.99 :puke:

Wow, this seems insane... I bought a siggy 10-20 last week for £300, which was the same price as they were being sold by Amazon... now look at the price!

£411 what!!!

I won't be buying any more kit for some time me thinks...

Another one for you... Canon 430EX II was £172 now £218 (Amazon)

Last edited:
I went to Jessops today to get my 55-250 IS Canon lens , they only had one in the shop which was on display, did not want that one so ordered on in store for delivery this week, i just want to make sure i got it at the price today as it is likely to go up tomorrow. Picking it up on Wednesday.

D

I went to Jessops today to get my 55-250 IS Canon lens , they only had one in the shop which was on display, did not want that one so ordered on in store for delivery this week, i just want to make sure i got it at the price today as it is likely to go up tomorrow. Picking it up on Wednesday.

D

There you go then, i bought from Jessops at £219 on Sunday and i have just looked, up to £239. Glad i ordered mine at £219.

D

Sigma 30mm f1.4 from WE has gone up from £269.99 this morning to £375.

And I think I may have bought one at pre increase prices.

Last edited:
Sigma 30mm f1.4 from WE has gone up from £269.99 this morning to £375.

And I think I may have bought one at pre increase prices.

They must have sold out of their pre-price rise stock then....the 50mm f/1.4 is still selling for £315 however will doubtless rise to near £550 when current stocks run out. :eek:

Just picked up on this thread as I've been looking around. I picked up a new Canon 135m L F2 last summer for £600. Now has rrp of
£1,279.99. The cheapest I can find on a very quick search is £832.

Back