F mount mirrorless?

Edit My Images
No
Hey everyone, I've googled this but can't get a proper answer, is there a mirrorless camera that supports f mount (nikon) lenses? I currently have the d810 but due to a few health problems it's getting to heavy for meand need to shed weight but would love to keep similar.quality or close. I have the 3 main nikons lens with a prime or 2, can anyone help me out or am I going to have to stick with my d810?

u might get manual focus adapters, the nikon mirrorless works fine with af but 2.7 crop :/

or look at a7r ;) and new lenses

Nikon offer a few lighter options. All the latest APS-C models are much lighter some less then half the weight. You can save over 100g by going to some of the other full frame models as well like the D610 or DF. Nikon do a adapter for there mirrorless system but if I recall it only works on af-s lenses. But the Nikon 1 sucks compared to DSLRs sadly.

Last edited:
The Nikon 1 system cameras V1, V2 and V3, also the J designated models will take F mount lenses if you utilise the FT1 adaptor. As previously stated they 'increase, the focal length by 2.7 but retain the F stop of the lens. You only get autofocus with AFS lenses not AFD. Image wise brilliant at sensible iso's provided your not wanting gallery sized prints but obviously no match for full frame, there's a nikon 1 image thread somewhere on the forum, check it out

You can get an adaptor from Nikon F to Sony E Mount - so with a Sony A7R you keep your 36MP FF, but lose the weight and bulk.

A Nikon V1 with the FT-1 adaptor mounted (with no lens) weighs 570g. A D5300 body only weighs 480g. The D800 is 900g. IMO as a purely weight saving exercise, the DSLR route is the way to go but the V1 is slightly less bulky.

Know nothing about Nikon, but is the DF any lighter?

Thanks everyone for all the responses, They are a great help,
You can get an adaptor from Nikon F to Sony E Mount - so with a Sony A7R you keep your 36MP FF, but lose the weight and bulk.
With the A7r would I get to keep a similar focal lenth? I have seen them and they look pretty darn good.

The Nikon V1 etc might work for me I guess, the 2.7 crop is a bit of a bummer but I guess if it sheds some weight Id have to get used to it.

d750 is the lightest i think?
Never actually considered the D750 funny enough. Good thinking there also batman.

Also for anyone who is or going down the route of the A7R, what is their lineup of lens like? anything similar to the nikon main 3 with being a fast lens?

a7 series is full frame, so u lose nothing really
lens wise theres really good 16-35 f4? and 70-200 f4, the kit zoom focal range is probably weakest vs dslr, the kit lens is good, zeiess one gets mixed reviews

if your struggling with weight then you will likely need to use slower lenses and save a bunch of weight, or look into primes

sigma merrils are light and stunning quality, but they are marmite on if you like them or not.

With the A7r would I get to keep a similar focal lenth? I have seen them and they look pretty darn good.?

The Sony a7 range of cameras are all great little cameras. Far better than most SLR cameras out there. You can adapt many lenses to work on them. I have a few different mounts and they all work well so far. I tend to use A mount lenses mostly as they work flawlessly with Sonys official adapters. The only problem you will have if your planning on using Nikon F mount lenses is that none will autofocus. At least I should say from the mounts I have used or seen none will autofocus. Though someone may come out with a mount that will do this. Viewing angle and effective focal length will be the same as with all other full frame cameras so the same as your D810.

The Nikon V1 etc might work for me I guess, the 2.7 crop is a bit of a bummer but I guess if it sheds some weight Id have to get used to it..?

It can be a plus in a way. I say this because you can carry a much smaller lens for a given viewing angle and so effectively focal length. Or in other words you can save a lot more weight by being able to carry much smaller lenses. To get the equivalent to a 200mm lens on a full frame body you will only have to use a 74mm lens on a Nikon 1. On the down side the Nikon 1 has comparatively much poorer image quality and low light performance. A old Nikon D60 has much better low light performance, Better dynamic range, Better depth and over all better image quality compared to the Nikon 1 v1. That's not to say the Nikon 1 is bad as its not its very good at what it does.

Another option is to sell up and change systems, the Fuji XT1 is also a fantastic camera with a good range of lenses in the system, but nothing over 230mm at the moment. I have just sold mine as my photography has changed and gone back to Nikon with the D750 which I would say is about as light as the D7100. Although this will be only for home use, if I could afford it I would have kept the Fuji. I believe the Fuji has a quicker AF system and better EVF than the Sony. I tried the Sony A7 with the Kit lens and the Fuji XT1 with it's kit lens and to me there was no noticeable difference in IQ.

I presume you have the 24-70 & 70-200 which are heavy lenses. The Fuji 18-55 & 55-200mm are excellent lenses and will give you more reach as their crop along with the fantastic primes available.

I am disabled and have hand and shoulder problems and when I changed to Fuji I noticed the lighter difference straight away, along with buying a lighter bag etc.......... it all makes a difference. I will probably change back when they bring out the super tele lens.

Also, you can't compare the Nikon 1 to the Fuji's IMO, I have had the V1 and it's nowhere near the IQ of the Fuji or as nice to use.

if it's not been said Sony provide the sensors to Nikon for the D800/D810 ……. not sure about the 24MP ones

so without Sony, Nikon would not have an FX sensor ……………...

I bought a s/h Pana GH1 and use my Nikon AIS primes (28 and 50) on it to great effect using Ebay adapters. These lens of course have manual aperture. You can get a G lens Nikon to m4/3 adapter but is hit and miss re aperture. Needless to say these lenses are used with manual focus.

I'm in a similar boat. I've always liked the idea of big heavy cameras and lens. But in reality carrying my d810 and either 24-70 or 70-200 (or both) to anything other than a shoot-is a pain in the backside. I really feel the weight is stopping me from having a camera by my as often as I'd like.
The mirror less option really appeals to me. Really does. But I'm concerned if I sell my Nikon gear and go for the Sony a7ii or a7r Plus lenses that will only be f4, I'll be getting a slower focusing camera with crap battery life and inferior but more expensive lens. Seems I'll just be saving on a weight.
I really feel like Nikon are missing a trick here. Why are they so slow to bring out options to match sony's attractive but not quite good enough alternative?

Back