F1 Testing Barcelona

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Lovely pics! I'd be seriously chuffed to have the same opportunity.

:)

I like Number 9, beautiful.

On the first three (and others) one end of the car is blurred : what's the cause of that?
Not a fault, I'm just interested.

We've had lovely weather here ... almost warm.

I like Number 9, beautiful.

On the first three (and others) one end of the car is blurred : what's the cause of that?
Not a fault, I'm just interested.

We've had lovely weather here ... almost warm.

Not sure why they are blurred at one end but all my shots were. I am sure someone on here will answer that one?

Just been through some more of your photos on flickr, some really nice images there. A couple of things though - on quite a few I notice at full size there is some funny noise going on (very minor - just wondering if you've sharpened these up) I know the 5D 3 is pretty good with standard noise at these ISOs...also noticed you've stopped down your lens quite a bit and upped the ISO - in my experience its better to do the reverse especially on slow pans - just wondering why? (DOF?) not a criticism just interested :)

Also the blur difference is down to paralax shift I believe - someone will correct me if not - the car coming towards you at slow shutter speed means the front is moving at a different rate than the middle (focal point) in relation to the camera as it approaches you.

Last edited:
Just been through some more of your photos on flickr, some really nice images there. A couple of things though - on quite a few I notice at full size there is some funny noise going on (very minor - just wondering if you've sharpened these up) I know the 5D 3 is pretty good with standard noise at these ISOs...also noticed you've stopped down your lens quite a bit and upped the ISO - in my experience its better to do the reverse especially on slow pans - just wondering why? (DOF?) not a criticism just interested :)

I was just playing with different settings to see what worked best. Guess I should have done some homework before I went.

Also the blur difference is down to paralax shift I believe - someone will correct me if not - the car coming towards you at slow shutter speed means the front is moving at a different rate than the middle (focal point) in relation to the camera as it approaches you.

Thanks that makes sense

I was just playing with different settings to see what worked best. Guess I should have done some homework before I went.

Not at all, I think some are really successful... I was under the impression that the f4 lens you were using is pretty good wide open - so id suggest opening up the aperture a bit and dropping the iso to get the images nice and smooth. The depth of field might suffer a bit but I think pans like this benefit from a bit of blur as long as you can keep focus on the driver. more art than magazine :) more interesting!!!

Not at all, I think some are really successful... I was under the impression that the f4 lens you were using is pretty good wide open - so id suggest opening up the aperture a bit and dropping the iso to get the images nice and smooth. The depth of field might suffer a bit but I think pans like this benefit from a bit of blur as long as you can keep focus on the driver. more art than magazine :) more interesting!!!

Going back for the race in May so will give it another go then. Cheers for the feedback

Great set, crisp and vibrant shots.

Not sure why they are blurred at one end but all my shots were. I am sure someone on here will answer that one?

It's something to do with the front and back of the car not being equal distance away from the lens at both ends and therefore the sensor sees the front and back of the car moving at different speeds, enough so to cause slight blur.

Hard to explain with getting mathsy or drawing a diagram.

I like these. #2,#3 & #8 are my favourites although #3 might benefit from not being quite so central in the frame. Great opportunity, bet you can't wait to go back.

Very nice puts mine to shame :)

Can beat the pre season testing at Barcelona. 2 year now for me love it.

apart from the monopod issue at customs cant wait to go back next year.

Exposure 0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 70 mm
ISO Speed 100

according to flickr

Cheers Andrew

Quote joker2006-

Settings as below -
Exposure 0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 70 mm
ISO Speed 100

Have to say it was more luck than judgement

Last edited:
Great set of images the colours are really vibrant. What have you used to edit them with and what effects. Can't wait for the new season to start!

1, 7 and 11 in that order for me - I'm not a fan of F1 but these 'almost' make me change my mind, bravo sir!

.DAVID.

Back