Facebook Fans - A Monthly TP Photo Competition For You - Mth 1

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Now before we launch into announcing the new competition, we just want to say that we are fully aware lots of people don't like Facebook and that's fine, you are more than welcome to click away now.

For those that do, we have decided to start a monthly photo competition. The Talk Photography facebook page looks a little bit naked, it needs a lovely big photo up there across the top. That's where you guys come in.

Each month we are going to ask you to post a photo that you think deserves that top slot on the FB page, that you can share and brag about to your friends. The winner will be chosen by member vote and the winning photo will be there for all to see for a month. You don't have to have a Facebook account to enter of course, the competition will take place here and just the winning photograph will be added to the page. Of course there have to be a few simple rules and here they are.

• The photo you submit MUST be cropped to this ratio > 851px x315px and preferably less than 100kb [this is facebooks size recommendations for a banner image] - This is where the challenge will lie, finding the right photo for such a ratio. Any photos not to this ratio will unfortunately not feature in the voting.
  • You will have one week each month to submit your photo and voting will be open for one week afterwards.
  • By submitting your photo, you are granting TalkPhotography permission to use that image for a month on the Talk Photography Facebook page and a post promoting the fact you have won within the status updates on the page.
  • The Talk Photography facebook page is an open, public page, so we must ask that all photos are 'family' friendly. [in other words, use your common sense ;) ] but other than that, the theme is totally open.
  • You may add a small lower/upper right hand corner watermark if you wish, but no great big ones that cover/distort the photo or generally spoil the viewing experience.

So, here we go with this months, you are submitting photos that will feature on the page in May, so you have from now until Sunday 20th April to get your entries in. The voting will then be open until Sunday 27th April, so our winner can be announced and added to the page in time for May. Post them in this thread please.

Remember we will be running this every month, so it is worth remembering when you are taking photos to perhaps think about framing the odd picture to suit this crop with an entry in mind.

Good luck everyone :D

ETA: Just for reference, this photo is cropped to the correct ratio, so if yours doesn't look this kind of shape, then you need to check it again. [This is not an entry]

3921-1397331875-c10f40b0f979a36d3c2bc715c9e42626.jpg

To demonstrate how the banner will look, including the right hand profile picture which obscures some of the image, here is my own pages header, everything above the white menu bar is banner image. [no point using TP's as there is no image there atm, but will change this example to that next month]

3994-1397465414-fee5c895807e988be0ede0bdd6bd3552.jpg

Last edited:
Hi.
Is there a talk photography facebook page as I can't find it via facebook?

I have cropped an image to 851px x315px in CS6 but it's 324 Kb, how do you reduce the size to 100kb please ?

Original image removed, re-edited and resubmitted further down the page - a big thank you to everyone who has enabled me to do this ! :)

Last edited:
I have cropped an image to 851px x315px in CS6 but it's 324 Kb, how do you reduce the size to 100kb please ?

Save it at approx quality 10 rather than full quality should sort that with minimal visible loss

Nick, I don't know if CS6 is different from my old version of Photoshop, but when I click File, Save as and change the name of the file (just changing one letter works) a window pops up called JPEG Options which has a box for determining the quality of the image, 12 being the max. Reducing this to 10 as Matthew says will bring the file size down.

Having said that, I don't think we should be stressing too much about file sizes. Although FB may recommend 100kb max, I've never re-sized my photos to use as the cover photo or banner for my own FB page - I just use them as is and have never had a problem uploading them. The one I'm using at the moment has a file size of 5.57 MB!

Incidentally, for those that aren't so familiar with FB, I think it's worth mentioning that the left-hand side of the banner image is partially obscured by the profile pic (or avatar) and so banners tend to work best if the main focal point is right of centre.

As above, I have only quoted facebooks size recommendations, the file size is merely for quick loading, as long as it is at the correct pixel dimensions, that will do as thats the more important part. As Elaine has said, a small amount of the left hand side of photo will be obscured by the profile picture, so with that in mind, I will grab a screen shot later and add it to opening post to demonstrate.

and yes @dinorock, your photo is the wrong dimensions.

ETA: ok, header of pages added so you can all see how it would look in-situ.

Last edited:
Here's my entry- a reflection in a rock pool at St Audrie's Bay. Didn't check the file size until after I'd uploaded it, but it turned out to be spot on 100kb :D

St Audrie's Bay (Facebook Banner Crop)
by Carl Hall Photography, on Flickr

Hmm, I used Microsoft Picture Editor to crop it to the right size (because I'm at work), but it doesn't seem to have done the quality any favours. I'll redo it in LR when I get home and reupload :)

edit again: replaced with actual entry now :)

Last edited:
cheers i really should learn to read one day ;)

I am thinking you may not have quite got it right when changing Mike.... your photo looks like you have either stretched it widthways, or squashed it top to bottom? What did you do to get it to the right pixel dimensions?

Nick, I don't know if CS6 is different from my old version of Photoshop, but when I click File, Save as and change the name of the file (just changing one letter works) a window pops up called JPEG Options which has a box for determining the quality of the image, 12 being the max. Reducing this to 10 as Matthew says will bring the file size down.

Thanks for this but I'm struggling. I can't find any box that pops up, or any box with image quality 12.

From the main screen of PS6 I have gone Image>Image size>851x315>ok, Then File>save as..and named it. I have then gone to File>Save but that's greyed out. I'm really confused, I can size the image, but not reduce the file size, any ideas anyone ?

Thanks for this but I'm struggling. I can't find any box that pops up, or any box with image quality 12.

From the main screen of PS6 I have gone Image>Image size>851x315>ok, Then File>save as..and named it. I have then gone to File>Save but that's greyed out. I'm really confused, I can size the image, but not reduce the file size, any ideas anyone ?
Nick (@Blank_Canvas) you make me laugh! We will have you mastering file sizes before the year is out :LOL:

When you click file/ save as
It should then open up where you want to save the image, if choosing JPEG from the drop down box when you click ok you then go back to photoshop and there should be a little pop up box that says JPEG Options, in the box it says Image Options, there is a box that says Quality, I think it's often set at 8, I have mine on the max of 12! I only ever reduce this when I don't want a stupidly massive JPEG!

Here's a screen shot:

Edit, you can change the quality by dragging the slider on the bar as well as any of the little boxes!

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Nick (@Blank_Canvas) you make me laugh! We will have you mastering file sizes before the year is out :LOL:

When you click file/ save as
It should then open up where you want to save the image, if choosing JPEG from the drop down box when you click ok you then go back to photoshop and there should be a little pop up box that says JPEG Options, in the box it says Image Options, there is a box that says Quality, I think it's often set at 8, I have mine on the max of 12! I only ever reduce this when I don't want a stupidly massive JPEG!

Here's a screen shot:

Edit, you can change the quality by dragging the slider on the bar as well as any of the little boxes!

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for this Marsha it is a great help, but I'm not getting that box !

First of all I went to image size and got this:

I then went to File > Save as - a completely different box !

I really don't understand why I am seeing something different to you, I have gone to the Preference box but there is nothing obvious that I need to check or uncheck, I'm really confused by all this !

Many thanks anyway for taking some time out to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So when you click save in that second box, you don't get any further options and it just saves it in some unknown default setting? I'm also very confused now!

Here's my attempt, good luck everyone.

Sorry, uploaded the first one wrong - oops.

Last edited:
cheers i really should learn to read one day ;)
i think i may not have resampled the image ooops been a couple of long weeks at work 60hrs a week takes it out of you (driving) i'll give it another go :mad: hows that looking post 12

Last edited:
Back