weekly fadingisight's 52 for 2015

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Oh dear, I just can't let these challenges go...

After successfully completing a 365 challenge I set myself for 2014 I thought it would be nice to cut back from daily to weekly and enjoy interpreting a given theme. It sounds like it might be fun, hopefully that will turn out to be the case.

Welcome Russell... fun is one word for it... some of the other things it has been refered to would be scrubbed by the swear filter :D

I look forward to seeing what you come up with each week (y)

Thanks for the welcome Dark Knight, hoping I can rise to the challenge without bothering the swear filter unduly...

Like your Bliss shot… Good Work! If I was being a bit picky i'd say composition wise what do you think of gutting a bit closer to the water… It would have been my natural move… just to get more of the water in as looks like fantastic light on the wave create… but maybe I'm just talking tosh!

Hi Russell & welcome to the madhouse :wave:

Bliss....what a wonderful scene & spot on for theme...even the slightly bright sun doesn't detract for me as that is my idea of heaven :clap:

Patterns.......very unusual building but spot on again for the theme ...not sure if it's the angle you've shot at but there's something odd about the rhs....the vertical lines look vertical but the gap to the sged of the sold concrete get's bigger as you go up the frame...not sure I've explained that too well but hopefully you'll get my meaning ;)

I'd agree with Lynne on Bliss, looks like a wondful sunset.

Patterns, cracking building and I can see why you were drawn to it. Symmetry looks a little off and I do feel it would work better with perfect symmetry.

Cheers.

Pattern - good image for the warm up theme, tho I agree the symmetry is a little of.

Bliss - a very pleasing image to look at my only crit is the slightly bright sun.

Having said the above a good kickstart to your challenge well done, time to relax till week 2.

Hi Russell :)

These are two lovely shots to open with

Patterns - I really like that - lots of different patterns in the shot and the contrast between the different materials adds another dimension

Bliss - I love the colours but I do find the sunburst draws the eye a bit, I'm not sure whether letting the sun get just a little bit lower might have worked?

Welcome to 2015 52s Russell. Two cracking shots to start with (y)

With over 90 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Stunning colours in your sunset and I lover the tracks leading away, makes me want to be there.

Hi Russell - a couple of good shots. Pattern is perfectly on theme and well executed.

Bliss is a tough technical shot and I reckon you could have made your life a bit easier by holding off pressing the shutter until the sun was a touch lower. There's a bit too much glare for me which distracts from the rest of the scene a bit. Like Michael, I'd probably also prefer a smidge more waterline in the shot, so moving to the left would be good. But you've managed to retain decent contrast despite shooting into the sun and it's still a very captivating image.

Looking forward to more of your submissions!

Two great opening shot good luck with the rest of your 52 this year

Bliss - I feel I'd agree with Paul above about letting the Sun just drop down a bit further (unless it's a sunrise of course in which case....:D). Not sure where it is but it has a feeling of Cornwall to me

Thanks everyone for your welcome and comments. I really need to find time to be a more more active on this forum, both commenting on other's work and responding to comments here.
** Must make time to do this! **

Hi Russell and welcome along to the challenge.

I also considered The Sir Duncan Rice Library of Aberdeen University for my patterns theme but I settled for something else. Is the Bliss shot taken from Balmedie beach?

Thanks @rpn . The SDRL is one of my favourite buildings. Bliss shot taken on the beach at Newburgh walking towards Balmedie, heaven on earth!

Hi!
Patterns: plenty of them here! Like the image overall. Funnily enough, I think I'd like to see a wider crop on this one with more of that fab background building work showing.

Bliss: nice warm tones going across the sand. Like the sunburst - adds to the romance of it. Great scene and works for me.

Hi, that building for pattern works really well, very interesting bit of architecture
bliss certainly looks a blissful place not to sure about the bright sun though a bit to overpowering for me

hi
Bliss
Bliss indeed...a deserted beach, lovely shot but as others have said sunlight slightly distracting

Hi Russell,

Loving your pattern shot, great contrast.

Bliss, I can't think of anything more blissful than this, the beach/ coast line is my favourite place to be. I agree about the sun being a little too bright, however I do feel the blown area adds extra haze which adds to them theme :)

Aww what a cute little duckie,
That's a lovely shot of the duckling,beautifully sharp ,little bit of movement on the water & like that he/she is coming in from a corner :)
:agree:

Went out the other lunchtime to try and capture something for this week but wasn't too happy with what I shot.

In the meantime I have been scanning some old slides and came across this shot from a road trip around the Rockies about 20 years ago.

I quite like the "old postcard" look of this one...

Week 3 theme : Scenic

Lake View [Week 3 - Scenic] by fadingisight, on Flickr

Scenic - for a old archive shot I like this looks great.

Thanks Mandy. It's quite a job going through these old slides particularly as I haven't used a slide scanner before and the software isn't that intuitive. It's good looking at some of the old pictures though.

Works for me Russell, nice job.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Loads of detail in there Russell and a much more interesting sky than mine :p

Thanks Jill. The sky went a bit flat in the original scan but playing with the sliders in Lightroom brought some detail back out.

Back