Fakes

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Not very creative but I took the photo and this is the section for random things photographed.

So we still have quite a few bits and bobs to sort through after a relatives house clearance some time back.

There were a box with these old pieces of costume jewellery.

So I tried to photograph them in some way & this was the best I could come up with.

Didn't think the photo's were working but once on the pc I liked this one.

All critique is more than welcomed.

Gaz

DYfZn16.jpg

From a critique perspective i think that some local colour adjustments would benefit the image. It all looks very dark but i can see what would be nice warm colours in the wood, tin and especially the red curtain that arent coming through as these areas are overly dark and if these could be brought out.

if you were reshooting then i’d suggest focus stacking, the oof jewelry lead in from btm right is a little distracting

just my views, i’m wrong as much as i’m right

@Jim_Tod
Thanks for your critique. It's very much appreciated. I take all your points on board. They are all valid.

The red can over power "in my eyes" especially in the wood and in this case the curtain/ fabric. So I have dialled it back in post.

Great point regarding the focus stacking. This was focus stacked. It turned out a real pain to put together after. I use Photoshop cs6 which doesn't seem to do a good job on its own so I do it manually.

No matter how careful I am shooting tripod/light most frames need aligning. I do need to perfect that way of shooting.

Great feedback just what I need.

Gaz

Ps: I'll dig the file out and bring the colour up and brightness in them and pop it up to see if it looks any better.

Last edited:
@Jim_Tod

I removed the colour edited layers which left this version.

Didn't brighten it or anything.

Zr6qcVj.jpg

Last edited:
I‘m not immediately seeing a difference in tin or wood but i think the red curtain is much better in the second.

on the focus stacking it just looked like botttom right ss it enters shot is oof, just the first couple of cm. i don’t know if your camera does automatic focus adjustments which would avoid you touching the camera but it can always be a bit tricky with focus breathing or moving camera back and forward.

I agree the tin was not affected in that last upload. The wood very slightly. The fabric yes. To me it draws the eye a bit too much but it's no deal breaker.

Yes those closest to the lens were out of focus. I think I were to close to focus on those.

Camera is Canon 6d around 8years old so don't have that option.

I'll practice some more for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

I really do appreciate it. It's the only way to learn.

Gaz

Lovely Idea Gary- nice shot- I just had to have a play too :)

Ka61os1.jpg

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back