Falmouth Docks

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I can never resist taking a look at what's happening in the docks at Falmouth when in that part of the world, there's often something interesting to see.

On this visit there was a car transporter ship undergoing a refit and one of the old cranes was in use, lovely to see something built in the 50s still in use.

Critique and comments would be appreciated - as direct as you like - I won't be offended.

A fisheye view of the docks to start

Falmouth Docks - Fisheye by Chris S B, on Flickr

This thing is big

Car Transporter Ship by Chris S B, on Flickr

These guys will know how big!

Ship Painting by Chris S B, on Flickr

Ship & Crane

Crane & Ship by Chris S B, on Flickr

Finally, a fascinating old crane from the 50s, they don't make them like this anymore.

Crane Falmouth Docks by Chris S B, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Chris

I agree, #3 is great, shows just how big the task in hand is............." think we need a bigger brush"

Thanks for your comments guys - much appreciated.

The enormity of their task put me in mind of the opening of Red Dwarf - if only the ship had been painted red, we could of have a Red Dwarf reproduction shot!

Chris

Are the painters in no. 3 waiting for inspiration ?
I like that one the most, certainly puts the size of the ship into perspective.

No, they've just finished, the ship was black, they just had to mask up thr "Grand Africa" Then paint it white. :)
Interesting set(y)

No, they've just finished, the ship was black, they just had to mask up thr "Grand Africa" Then paint it white. :)
Interesting set(y)

Thanks for the info Jim.

I heard on the local radio, whilst On hols down there, that the dockyard was struggling for work and redundancies were planned. Do you know of things have improved, or are they still struggling to keep the yard busy?

Chris

Back