Fast focussing DX UWA lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Are there any quick focussing uwa lenses? Looking to use one ringside as sometimes my 17-50 isn't wide enough when the action gets close and also to mix the shots up a little.

Was thinking of the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 as it would cover a bit more range than the Tokina 11-16.

The two I've used which were good were the Tokina 11-16 and the Nikon 12-24mm f4, I'd describe the latter as quickish to focus, not instant but never felt like I'd miss a shot either.

I would probably suggest the Tokina 11-16 for the f/2.8. At f/4 I would get the Tokina 12-28. or in a variable aperture the Nikon 10-24 f/3.5-4.5.

The 12-28 is probably the most useful range... The Nikons are the most expensive and the Tokina 11-16 II is probably the fastest to AF in poor light.

Last edited:
I had the 11-16 a couple of years ago & used it on my D7000. It is fast to focus. I used it for landscape type shots @ F8+, but having the ability to shoot at F2.8 indoors when needed must be a bonus.
It's a solid piece of kit too, built like a tank!

Not that fussed about f2.8 as I usually shoot at f4-5.6 but it would be nice.

Pretty surprised by the price from HDEW, was expecting it to be a few quid more!
Remember that AF/metering/etc is all performed with the lens at it's max aperture. That's why faster lenses will usually perform better in lower light even if the image is taken stopped down.
The 11-16 II has a built in motor which should be faster and quieter than screw drive... I haven't used one to be able to say.

The 12-24 Nikon is a stellar lens and has no problems focusing in low light conditions. It is exceptionally sharp across the frame. That was on D7K as well. Tokina is also sharp across the frame. Tho I never had it on D7K to compare with. And i dont recall it was instant focus either on D90. However I do know the third party lens will have issues with LV focusing etc especially on lenses that pre-dates the body. Which can be annoying in situations where u kinda need to use the screen instead of look through thru view finder.
No such problem with Nikon lens obviously.

Last edited:
The Nikon 12-24 is expensive new. But second hand you can pick one up for less than half of the new. Dunno how you want to see the situation. You can say tokina keeps its value but then it may be the market is hot for it now then when tokina goes out of flavour the lens will drop like a stone. I remember a long while back the 11-16 was a bit more expensive (£40ish) than the tokina12-24 second hand. So around £240 instead of the £300ish prices now

Then the 12-24 nikon, you can say it doesn't keep its value but at a price range that can compete with second hand sigma 10-20 and tokina 12-24 etc you got to think it's probably not gonna drop that much more.

I was reading your post the other way round, in terms of selling prospects!

i think both are quite popular...with the right price i don't think you will struggle to sell either lenses.

12-24 is more for general use but 11-16 has the benefit of larger aperture which makes it very attractive to certain type of photography i.e. close quarter - theatre, events etc

well the tamron 24-70 vc is almost as much as the nikon...but there are draw backs such as 82mm filters and QC issues...which has led to panamoz not stocking tamron 24-70 VC and 70-200 VC anymore.

edit: quick search shows tamron on panamoz is 2/3 of nikon... :eek:

Last edited:
David, just sticking my oar in again;) - if I go back to a crop body the uwa lens I'd get is the Nikkor 12-24 F4 fir two main reasons, 1) it is a very useful zoom range and 2) it renders beautifully at all apertures. Whilst the Tokina is good, I prefer the Nikon. Oh and agree with buying it used, far too expensive new.

Thanks Paul.

Looked on MPB and they have a couple for £369 and £389. I'd be willing to pay that tbh and would feel like I'm getting alot of lens for my money tbh.

Although I will probably put a wanted add here firstas I have seen a few offered for swaps so maybe a cash offer would tempt them into a sale. :D

Thanks for everyones help. :)

Thanks Paul.

Looked on MPB and they have a couple for £369 and £389. I'd be willing to pay that tbh and would feel like I'm getting alot of lens for my money tbh.

Although I will probably put a wanted add here firstas I have seen a few offered for swaps so maybe a cash offer would tempt them into a sale. :D

Thanks for everyones help. :)
don't buy those from MPB etc, watch forums and other means such as gumtree...mine was £240 tho without box. but was in mint condition nevetheless

Last edited:
that is weird, when i was looking to buy around 8 months ago, ebay was selling those around 300 mark...and picked one up from gumtree at the end. the prices on ebay has gone up significantly now...but then again the deviation of sale price is £100 which is crazy!

I wouldn't worry too much about reviews, for every good one there is a bad one ;) The price is usually the issue with most reviews, but buying used negates that argument. Maybe get a loaner or hire one ... I'm a tad biased against siggy zooms, had too many that were poor copies (and the rings work the wrong way too!), and yes before anyone says there are bad copies of all lenses, just I seem to get more bad siggys.

Anyway here are a couple of other reviews to ponder :cool:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/757-afs12244dx
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/n...s-dx-nikkor-interchangeable-lens-review-13348
http://www.bythom.com/1224lens.htm

(ok I lied it was three :p).

Picked up a copy of the Nikon 12-24mm f4 at NEC s/h from camera world for a friend shooting on a D7000 at the time and they are delighted with it.
They are now using it with a D7100 and they are still impressed with it about 350 if memory serves me right,but prices may have moved a little since.
Me I have always been pleased with the Sigma 10-20mm f4/5.6 have owned two copies both sharp and no problems.
Most reputable dealers give 6months warranty so if you feel you haven't got a good copy you can always return it.
The Nikon 10-24 f3.5/4.5 also appears to be a really good performer and can be purchased at excellent prices.

Back