Feedback wanted : Black and white Poppies

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

only just getting myself back into photography and wanted some feedback as I've definitely still a lot to learn.

After seeing a lot of shots of the poppies, with a few having the reds pumped up looking glamorous, i went there for myself and felt it had a completely different feel, extremely sad and morbid.
There were people taking selfies(!) in front of the view which i couldn't quite believe!

As a result i wanted to capture a different side to a shot everyones probably pretty sick of seeing. Combine that with the fact they were removing the poppies i thought it perfect to try and capture a more toned down version.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

As it stands it's a very good, competent shot. Problem is it's been so comprehensively photographed recently yours is not going to win any prizes but I'd be very happy to have it in my collection.

Afraid I'm with Andy on this one as I feel it needs the red to draw the eye to them. Now depending on your software you could play with colour filters for b&w to make the poppies more obvious in the overall photo and that would certainly be worth trying.

As it stands it's a very good, competent shot. Problem is it's been so comprehensively photographed recently yours is not going to win any prizes but I'd be very happy to have it in my collection.

Thank you. I'm definitely not trying for prizes! I love the hobby simple as. Comments much appreciated either way :)

My eyes are drawn straight to the tall angular building in the background. To be fair, the Poppies are lost in this image due to them being so dark.

Afraid I'm with Andy on this one as I feel it needs the red to draw the eye to them. Now depending on your software you could play with colour filters for b&w to make the poppies more obvious in the overall photo and that would certainly be worth trying.

Poppies in monochrome loose the poignancy for me.

Thank you all for your comments much appreciated, always good to get other peoples take on it and il have a play around and see how it looks after lighting the poppies a touch (using LR2).

Back