Feel free to call me a complete fruitcake....

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
Yes
But i am seriously thinking of re buying a 5D mk2 for....WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY. I am not interested in BIF'S, Just portrait and want the absolute best quality image. I was blown away by my previous 5D mk2 but now i have a 600mm F4 i am dying to pair the 2 together to see what they can do. I may hire again for a few days just to be super sure and then it's goodbye to the 1D mk3...THoughts? :wave:

I call it doing a Chris Packham...I'm innovating ;)...
Seriously though there is a guy in the USA (can't find the web address again) who does Bird photography with the 5D mk as well as video and the quality of his images is just incredible.

your a complete fruitcake:)

I must be the only one that doesn't think you are a fruitcake.

I must say I wonder why you got rid of the 5DMk2 in the first place. I think you are seeing what I did with the 5D Mk1 Great camera and still use it now, but on some big enlargements I thought I was loosing something, a bit of sharpness maybe. It was me being critical, nobody else noticed but I did. I think I was pushing the cameras resolution to the limit.

Tried a 1DsIII ( 5D mk2 was not available then) and found what I was looking for. Took a while to get used to the camera, but I can't be happier with the results. And I've had no problems with the camera , although it did go back on the recall. Just to be sure. Only problem is it does show up poor lenses, so you have to be prepared to spend on glass. Which is a good investment anyway.

One thing I will suggest you try with the 1Dlll if you havn't tried it already, is to play with the sharpening settings. Both the 1Ds and the 1D have fairly aggressive anti aliasing filters, which can make images look un sharp. Canon put out a bulletin about this suggesting higher sharpening figures for unsharp masking in Photoshop than you would normally apply. I found this was needed in Lightroom as well

Hi Chappers,
Yes i do regret selling it but at the time the big glass was a distant dream but now i've bit the bullet i really would like to try either the 50d or more excitingly the 5d mk2. I posted in an earlier thread about the iq of my 1d mk3 and i have to agree with you that the sharpening has to be quite aggressive to get decent results though it is capable of fantastic images.

I was looking at an old image the other day of a photo i took with the 5D mk2, It was a classic car headlight and the image was simply beyond stunning and that is really whetting my appetite to try it with big glass on birds, My only worry is that i will lose a bit with the full frame however i still have 600mm and a 1.4 to play with. :)

I don't mean to be rude or presumptuous but if you had a 5DII and now your on the top of the range with a 600mm coupled, it would seem to me that the cost isn't to much of an objection for you. Are you seeking advice, asking permission or just showing off?

Advice is something you don't ned, you've already shown that you know more about the performance than most on here. My advice would be to go with your desire.

If asking permission, most on here would willingly grant it. Buy the 5DII and enjoy it.

If showing off .... well done you! You are in the enviable position of being able to satisfy your hearts desires. you obviously have a greater diposable income than most of us so why shouldn't you enjoy it? Go get the 5DII.

I don't mean to be rude or presumptuous but if you had a 5DII and now your on the top of the range with a 600mm coupled, it would seem to me that the cost isn't to much of an objection for you. Are you seeking advice, asking permission or just showing off?

Advice is something you don't ned, you've already shown that you know more about the performance than most on here. My advice would be to go with your desire.

If asking permission, most on here would willingly grant it. Buy the 5DII and enjoy it.

If showing off .... well done you! You are in the enviable position of being able to satisfy your hearts desires. you obviously have a greater diposable income than most of us so why shouldn't you enjoy it? Go get the 5DII.

Hi Sheddy,
You did indeed sound rude, I don't do showing off, I just worked hard and had a couple of policies mature so got the gear so easy on the prosumptuous attitude, We are a friendly bunch on here :nono:

I was basically wanting to know if anyone has any experience of using the 5D mk2 for bird photography as i keep chopping and changing bodies at the moment till i find the right one for my particular needs. I don't have an endless supply of money, I just do well selling on and using that money for another body, I don't have 2 bodies. So any advice is more than welcome :)

Maybe I am the only real fruitcake here, because I have no idea why a 5D is not suitable for wildlife pictures. Someone enlighten me please.

Maybe I am the only real fruitcake here, because I have no idea why a 5D is not suitable for wildlife pictures. Someone enlighten me please.

crop factor/AF + fps at a guess?

still though, if i had enough dosh i'd buy them all :D deffo hire one to see what it'll be like (y)

drew

crop factor/AF + fps at a guess?

still though, if i had enough dosh i'd buy them all :D deffo hire one to see what it'll be like (y)

drew

Well in regards to fps, my wildlife photography is pretty much limited to the animals in the local zoo and they are not moving around much, så a high fps is not really an issue, but for wildlife, I can see a reason for a high fps.

I'm giving Hire a Camera a call today Drew, Jeskris is right to a point as it depends on what you are photographing and BIFS are probably not going to be great with the 5D mk2 though in a test it did surprisingly well. Will post some photos when i get to test it, SHould be really interesting :)

If you can get locations where you are getting compositions that don't require cropping I'd say it makes perfect sense. Make the most of all those nice pixels :)
If you end up cropping the image then I'm not sure you'll gain too much when the mkIII image may not have needed cropping.

Don't forget that although you lose some effective cropping you get with the 1D the extra pixels with the 5Dll more than make up for it.

Mind you there is the old adage of wildlife photography, " However long the lens is, it's never long enough";)

Thanks for the support Steve, but Pragmatist is perfectly at liberty to take what I wrote any way he would like. It's his perogative.

Don't forget that although you lose some effective cropping you get with the 1D the extra pixels with the 5Dll more than make up for it.

Mind you there is the old adage of wildlife photography, " However long the lens is, it's never long enough";)

Tell me about it John, Even if i had an 800mm with x5 convertors it would probably fall short on the day :bonk:

Don't worry Sheddy i'm not boasting, I don't have an 800.....YET!!:naughty:

Makes perfect sense to me. You can crop a 5DII harder than the 1DIII for the same image quality.

My main camera for wildlife is a 1DsII so I am a fully signed up member of the FF for wildlife camp

Makes perfect sense to me. You can crop a 5DII harder than the 1DIII for the same image quality.

My main camera for wildlife is a 1DsII so I am a fully signed up member of the FF for wildlife camp

And if you can get close to your quarry without cropping the iq will be fantastic Paul. I have Andy Rouse's book concepts of nature and most of that book is shot with the 1Ds mk2. Really nice book

Back