Fell into the sea....

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I was down at the beach for sunrise this morning and managed to knock my tripod over, lens face down, into the sea. only about 2 inches deep, but lens and camera both covered in sand and water. Not a good start to the weekend... So I cleaned up best I could and seeming as I'd just set up, I took a few shots, hand holding my filters as the ring snapped on impact...
The camera seems fine apart from the fact the shutter will not fire from the shutter button. If I plug an electronic shutter release in, it works fine. Seems odd as it was really on the lens that got drenched. Maybe something came loose? The camera is a Fuji X-E1. The lens that hit the deck was my 10-24 Fuji :-(

After coming home and cleaning it, it seems to work fine apart from crunching from sand in the zoom ring etc. I also noticed the lens fogged when I came in, and it was inside on the back of the rear element. This has now cleared and it focuses fine and zooms fine, albeit "crunchy".

What chances do you think the lens will be okay? I worry that the condensation inside will corrode or dry as salt marks on the optics. Any ideas on the X-E1? I wondered if I've missed something obvious and it's a setting.

Or is it time to upgrade the body and replace the lens. Not a cheap option..... :-(

Thanks
Steve

I would definitely try placing the lens in a bag of rice, which is excellent for drying things out (unless you have some of those bags of crystals that come with new electrical kit, they are even better).
Sadly I don't think the water is your only problem, as the salt in the sea-water also brings problems of its own.

If it's just condensation, that should be distilled water and shouldn't leave any marks. However, the fact that the lens is crunchy suggests that it could well be bu99ered I'm afraid. TBH, I would expect some fairly terminal salt water ingress into the body as well. :( Your home insurance might cover the kit for accidental damage - worth investigating, anyway.

Sorry to hear about your accident, I think something like this happens to us all at some stage, I take it you have no insurance on your gear so first thing to do is buy a good solid sturdy tripod, learn from your mistakes, what's done is done so try not to worry about it, good luck!

Can't think of a setting on the X-E1 that would do that, sounds more like an electrical fault.
Bung both in a box full of rice and let them dry out properly, reckon the lens will be OK by the sound of it, albeit crunchy.

Any insurance for damage?

Main thing is you are OK, still a shame for you though

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I've no camera insurance but will try my home / contents and see how I get on. With regard to the tripod, it is a new one funny enough! It wasn't the tripod though, it was the idiot who let a wave take it :)

It's all drying out... Will see how I get on!

You only need a drop of water to cause electronics to malfunction, and that certainly includes button contacts. Even worse, salt water damage is not good at all. You'd better hope that only some irrelevant casing will start rusting and oxidising. Any further and the electronics will die sooner or later.

Strap on the neck next time...

Well the shutter button is dead. I was toying with an X-T1 upgrade. Looks like I will be then.....

Not sure sure with the lens. It has dried and it working fine. Just worried about internals. Will see how I get on with it.

Cheers chaps.
Steve

Bummer doesn't sound good for the camera, sure you will like the X-T1 though, so every cloud etc etc.

If you are going to out the camera I would be happy to give you some quids for it. Never know when I may need spares for my one and not averse to a bit of camera diy

T
Bummer doesn't sound good for the camera, sure you will like the X-T1 though, so every cloud etc etc.

If you are going to out the camera I would be happy to give you some quids for it. Never know when I may need spares for my one and not averse to a bit of camera diy

Thank you. However, it is working fine with a cable release so I'll keep as a spare body as most of my stuff is on a tripod anyway.

That's good it still has some use for you and thanks for replying

Back