Few Shot from the Mach Loop this week.

I'm going up there for my first attempt Wednesday September 15. Never been before so looking forward to it. I know there's no timetable and it's pot luck they come through, but how often are there blank days? What sort of percentage chance of seeing some action is there? Many thanks in advance.

I'm going up there for my first attempt Wednesday September 15. Never been before so looking forward to it. I know there's no timetable and it's pot luck they come through, but how often are there blank days? What sort of percentage chance of seeing some action is there? Many thanks in advance.

I have been 5 or 6 times now and never had a blank day, although i know that others have been unlucky.

If there is activity, Hawks seem to be pretty much guaranteed (although I actually find them hard to photograph - maybe because they are reflective) but the other planes are much less predicable. I've seen F15s, Harriers, Tornados and Hercules.

Last Wed was a little weird. Long periods of nothing and then a mad hour just before lunch.

Good luck and let us know how you get on !!

It's a complete gamble both on which day you go and which view point you decide to go to (there are a few places around the loop). It's also a gamble on the times they come through. Have know as early 8am and as late as 7pm. Get there early and prepare to see absolutely nothing. That way, if you do get some traffic it's a bonus.
Good luck.

nice shots i was there on wed. were were you??
i was on bwlch middle shelf
1st time for me and i didnt come home with many keepers
maybe i need to practice my panning more
you were right about the mad hour b4 lunch
about 6 hawks, a pair of tornados, and a pair of f15s in the morn
and afternoon zilch. well 3 tornados and 2 more eagles that teased us by not coming through the bwlch. oh and 1 hawk late afternoon
but for 1st time it was awesome and had good weather, but that climb. it almost finished me off. i need to loose weight and get fitter

Last edited:
nice shots i was there on wed. were were you??
i was on bwlch middle shelf
1st time for me and i didnt come home with many keepers
maybe i need to practice my panning more
you were right about the mad hour b4 lunch
about 6 hawks, a pair of tornados, and a pair of f15s in the morn
and afternoon zilch. well 3 tornados and 2 more eagles that teased us by not coming through the bwlch. oh and 1 hawk late afternoon
but for 1st time it was awesome and had good weather, but that climb. it almost finished me off. i need to loose weight and get fitter

Think we were above you - just below the very top, a group of 5 of us. Shame about the quiet afternoon, but that hour made up for it. We left about half 4 and saw quite a few things fly through when we were in the pub, did you get any shot of those ???

i remember a group above us
is this you ( not very good im afraid. god knows were i focused )

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

it was quiet afternoon. only thing that came through around 5 o'clock ( i think ) was an hawk. but 2 f 15s were over at the same time. but they were high above us. listening on someone's scanner they were looking for aircraft to ambush. so it looks like the little hawk that came round the same time may have been there victim .
only other thing we saw was 3 tornado's over to the left, that was a bit earlier. but they never came down our way
it was my 1st time so i guess it wasn't bad day

I have blanked there once and saw some action on my second visit...ring RAF Valley ops room before you go they are very helpful and will let you know what is likely to come through.

I Take it that there are now frontline aircraft passing again after the "I'm with stupid" thing.

I love the angle of number 4. just a shame the sky was the the usual GB Grey.

20 something days and 10+ blanks for me! pick your weather and take a gamble...patience is rewarded :)

I like the first 2 shots but your mighty unlucky to get an underside from the bwlch.

i remember a group above us
is this you ( not very good im afraid. god knows were i focused )

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

it was quiet afternoon. only thing that came through around 5 o'clock ( i think ) was an hawk. but 2 f 15s were over at the same time. but they were high above us. listening on someone's scanner they were looking for aircraft to ambush. so it looks like the little hawk that came round the same time may have been there victim .
only other thing we saw was 3 tornado's over to the left, that was a bit earlier. but they never came down our way
it was my 1st time so i guess it wasn't bad day

yep - thats me on the left !

yep - thats me on the left !

you lot up there were making me nervous.
the way you kept coming to the edge and shouting down to the lads i was stood with.
i had visions of someone falling over the edge, that top shelf looked bloody high

you lot up there were making me nervous.
the way you kept coming to the edge and shouting down to the lads i was stood with.
i had visions of someone falling over the edge, that top shelf looked bloody high

don`t worry about people falling from the top shelf as the ground at the bottom will catch them and then you can shoot the mountain rescue heli.its really a win/win situation

don`t worry about people falling from the top shelf as the ground at the bottom will catch them and then you can shoot the mountain rescue heli.its really a win/win situation

LOL. there's a thought .

Last edited:
Ministry of Defence has announced "That a large-scale air exercise will take place over parts of Wales, starting Sunday Sept 12 until Friday October 1, could be an interesting time on the loop.

good. im going again on the 17th
i thought they didnt fly sunday

Wow still really need to get up here, don't think i'll be able to get up any time soon

No5 is the pick of the bunch for me :)

if anything i'd imagine that ex will quieten down the loop

Back