Film Challenge 01 Discussion

Good choice, at least The Big Yin won't have to go near people :LOL:

Haha, there seems to be some politics going on in the f&c section at the moment so maybe this will get us all out shooting some images :D

I am getting up early tomorrow and going to london, I have my film loaded and my peugeot cleaned (bike), can't wait!!!

I wish I could spend the day taking photos tomorrow, unfortunately family duty calls.

And as far as I know, F&C is a politics free zone.

Haha, there seems to be some politics going on in the f&c section at the moment so maybe this will get us all out shooting some images :D

I am getting up early tomorrow and going to london, I have my film loaded and my peugeot cleaned (bike), can't wait!!!

Good Luck Liam. For info, a brand new glass fronted office block is nearly completed near Victoria staion - ugly as hell, but very modern.
The westminster abbey is all spuced up and clean.

As for me, I am off on a road trip from tuesday for about 10 days. A holiday after 18 months feels so good

Last edited:
Well I'm off to France tomorrow for my jolly hols and I'm taking 2 film cameras (Voigtlander VF 101 and Ross Ensign 16-20) so hopefully I will have some good architectural stuff in a couple of weeks. I've got my eye on a medieval lane leading to the catherdral in Quimper which looks interesting.

Andy

Hey Andy; if you win the prize; half of that belongs to me for locating and buying that VF.
Enjoy your hols buddy.

No - you had that already :D

Just rewound a film halfway (frame 12) from the Dynax 7 (set custom #3 to 2 "leave film tab out of cannister") and reloaded it into the Dynax 9 (hold adj for 2 secs, wind wheel to 12, hit adj again). Film now on frame 12 ready to rock - I *love* these cameras :LOL:

Stuff the budgie fleas, I'm in Turkey in a couple of weeks, lots of architecture there :naughty:

Last edited:
Well, the topic's right up my street, as it were. :cool:

The problem is going to be speeding up my usual very leisurely turn-around time with film. :thinking:

Can I ask a possibly silly question - When does a photo stop being "a picture of a Building/Ruin" and start being an "Architectural Photo" ?

(not that I'm about to go out and scrounge up some sort of technical plate camera or anything - just i'm somewhat limited at the moment, only lens based film camera I've got without fast film for street shooting (apart from the eos-3 that's got the last kodachrome roll of course) is my little Perkeo , so I'm not looking for anything too "challenging" in subject matter as it's hard enough to get anything in frame with the pokey little finder window :LOL: - christ i'll be glad when I finish this months POTY subject and get my cameras back!)

Last edited:
Same thing... but it's gotta be a good ruin :LOL:

to me, architecture is a hooooge subject, pretty much anything goes as far as I am concerned.

Another Silly Question - is it usual TP rules for this - i.e. photo new to forum, because I've a bunch of shots I'd like to stick in the "Show Us" thread, one of which I'll probably have to rely on as my entry for the challenge?

I would say no - too many rules and someone has to police them. Just my opinion though but can't we just put pictures in a thread?

That's pretty much my feelings on it as well Arthur, but I wanted to run it by people first - seeing as these shots are probably going to be my last chance for a day out shooting before the cut off (4/9). I know there's still another weekend in there, but it's a bank holiday, and I can't usually arrange carer cover to get out for more than a hour or so on those weekends :(

Anyway - i've submitted one now, so the die is cast :shrug:

At least theres gonna be one entry! :LOL: And when people see it, they'll realise that they can submit pretty much anything and not end up last !

Edit: Woo-hoo if nobody else post's I can make :3rd: (y)

Last edited:
And so your both not on your own :)

Canon Ae-1 / 50mm / Kodak Tmax 100
St Pauls, London

Well, I recognised it as St Pauls (or Wren at least) before I read the caption - so something is right :)

I'm going to have a hard time finding some dry time to get some photos with this. Had to do a digital recce of The Shard site at London Bridge in the good weather today and the rest of the week looks like a wash-out :(

I'm going to have a hard time finding some dry time to get some photos with this. Had to do a digital recce of The Shard site at London Bridge in the good weather today and the rest of the week looks like a wash-out :(

Go with intention, take your gear with the idea you are going to shoot, be cause you just don't know.
I was somewhere yesterday that I planned in advance to shoot a particular building, its not somewhere I'd normally be and probably won't be again for a month or so during working hours.
It siled it down while I was working, in fact it hailed like hell for half the morning, and I thought that shoot is a no go'er, lunch gong sounds and for half an hour the sun cracked flags which was.........convenient..:)

I have about three film cameras (Mamiya 645J, Canon A-1 and a Yashica J-3) and a small cache of film of various formats in my cupboard at work, so it's not a problem if the weather is kind over lunch time. Friday looks like a better bet ATM.

Tempted to dig out the EOS 3 from home and make use of my EF lenses... Oh, decisions [sigh] :D

We can't allow Liam to podium in his own thread....:LOL:

I've got some B/W's souped, but I'm waiting to see some slides, can't take em in till Tuesday now

Last edited:
I have a roll of Superia to finish after a hurried excursion with the A-1 on Friday.

Anyone know how long Fuji take to process these days?

For Fuji prepaid chrome rolls, the turn-around time for Fuji lab is about 4 working days.

Never used them for C41 though. Have you tried Club 35

Got four or five rolls - BW and C41 - ready to cook from Turkey... I may let the pro's do the developing though as they are all from the Hexar. Have to take number one daughter to the Big City to matriculate tomorrow so will drop them off at Rapture on the way past and pick up on the way back :D

Matriculation - to be added to the small list (from the latin - matricula if my one year of latin serves me right!)

So - to be added to the list - Generally used as to the Roll of the University (though as I was at a red-brick, they called it enrollment and I didn't have to wear robes :LOL:)

Last edited:
... but College in this instance, so more the American usage I suppose. Whatever - gives me an excuse to be in that part of Norwich and drop the films off :D

I'd assumed by college, you'd meant one of the oxbridge colleges Arthur :shrug:

Not quite, Norwich City... they are one of the few that do the Performing Arts thing. Then we want her to go to UEA (my alma mater) but I suspect it may be something further away.

ah. a bit of explanation then. In India, matriculation used to mean ( in my parents time anyways,) the 'school leaving certificate'. Till date, someone who has passed school is called Matriculate.

I shot some architecture (of sorts) at the weekend but I've got no idea when it's going to get souped.

Now...I've got a problem. I'll be shooting plenty of architecture in the next few days, but it won't be processed for a week or so as I'm on holiday. Can I still qualify as long as it's taken before Saturday 4th?!?

I don't think it would be a problem, maybe we should put a poll up the week after the 4th so that people can get the film developed...

4954769508_c4773d3f7d_z.jpg

Canada Square, Docklands. Zorki 4-K, Jupiter 8 5/20 lens, Kodak Color Plus 200 film, processed and scanned to CD by Tesco Twickenham.

Shame they don't clean their glass roof :crying:

This is brilliant, I really like how the building almost disappears (y)

Does this mean the Zorki's OK then Nick?

Last edited:
Does this mean the Zorki's OK then Nick?

I think I can safely say the Zorki is just fine. thanks Arthur. (y) The rangefinder is a little bit out vertically but that's not really a problem, is there an easy way of adjusting it?

This is brilliant, I really like how the building almost disappears

Thanks liam, it takes a bit of getting used to but I'm liking it a lot :D

Vertically is a top-off job I am afraid, I rotated it a bit when using it :LOL:

I shot some architecture (of sorts) at the weekend but I've got no idea when it's going to get souped.

If Fuji and/or Peak Imaging come up with the goods on schedule, I may have something to show by Monday or Tuesday. :cautious:

I don't think it would be a problem, maybe we should put a poll up the week after the 4th so that people can get the film developed...

This is brilliant, I really like how the building almost disappears (y)

So do we have a definitive ?

shots taken between the 14th and the 4th to be posted no later than....

if you put on another week it rounds up to something like a 4 week comp..which is tidy...:)

I'm not fussed, I'm embarrassed by the number of shots I could post, shot specifically for it....:nuts:

So do we have a definitive ?

shots taken between the 14th and the 4th to be posted no later than....

if you put on another week it rounds up to something like a 4 week comp..which is tidy...:)

I'm not fussed, I'm embarrassed by the number of shots I could post, shot specifically for it....:nuts:

I'd say a 4 week duration for the challenge would be fine by me, none of this new-fangled month things. 28 days for the film Lunatics :LOL:

Back