Film Challenge 31 Blur/Movement Discussion Thread

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the discussion thread for film challenge 31 Blur/Movement

For entries please post your shots here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photo-challenge-31-blur-movement.535051/

Now this new challenge is inspired by this shot fbimg001_zpsa1d964a6.jpg Three Racer's shot in Canterbury Cathedral.

So this challenge is not just about normal blur or movement you see in sporty type shots, in Mark's shot it is that specific movement that shows in the people against the static architecture of the cathedral.

Now I appreciate we can't all get to Canterbury cathedral and it doesn't have to be movement of people but I'd like to see a sense of the transient in the shots.

As usual the only rules are for the photo has to be taken on any format of film (it would be great to see some rarer format 110, 10x8) and it must be taken during the period that this challenge is open.

The challenge will NOW run from today 23rd March until Sunday the 27th April

So dig out your tripods, bean bags, monopods and ballpods and get out there and capture some moving light.

Last edited:
Well I am in! Sounds like an excellent challenge and I have an idea already. Now lets just hope winter doesn't arrive!!

Last edited:
Blimey that was quick....and a good subject for newbies with basic cameras with slow shutter speeds.

My son is doing something similar for his college course at the moment so I already have a few ideas, excellent theme Nick.

Ooops, just noticed this is the entries thread, sorry Nick.

Last edited:
great idea for the challenge Nick

(oh - and I moved all the stray posts from the entries thread over into here... didn't realise I could actually do that on this forum TBH - took me a while to work out how!)

That's exactly the sort of thing I meant. It's subtle not the sort of thing that I churn out all the time, and PMN by the sounds of it. Out of focus and shaky I'm fine at, it's that movement that's difficult to capture well.

great idea for the challenge Nick

(oh - and I moved all the stray posts from the entries thread over into here... didn't realise I could actually do that on this forum TBH - took me a while to work out how!)

Thanks Mark.

That's exactly the sort of thing I meant.

Blimey, not bad for what was a grab shot that I posted up for a giggle! It's a great theme and I've got a couple of ideas in mind, just need to make the opportunity to get them now. :)

Bloody typical. I was at a steam festival yesterday, and I did a long exposure to capture the crowds walking in front of a loco, and for those few seconds it was like Moses had parted the waves of trainspotters. Not a single one walked in front, and I decided not to waste another in the hope that the crowds would rematerialise.

Great theme choice. Going to try and make an effort to get an entry in; haven't managed to enter for a while.

Not sure if my entry is more subtle than you were looking for but it'll do unless I can get something better. Spent ten minutes being nearly blown over waiting for a gap in the wind, then I remembered this and thought a why not...

Not sure if my entry is more subtle than you were looking for but it'll do unless I can get something better. Spent ten minutes being nearly blown over waiting for a gap in the wind, then I remembered this and thought a why not...
No it's perfect, subtle is good (y)

Well I find this challenge amusing as I spent all my life getting a sharp shot and now have to introduce blurr ;) Anyway a DSLR would have been handy as I have no idea how my shots are going to turn out, i.e. for your blurr subject what shutter speed do you use, anyway bracketed 1 sec, 2 sec, 4 sec and 10 sec...well as I didn't have a tripod it's going to be amazing if anything decent comes out. So Asda's cheap price will be handy.
Also this film is a test for my F90x h'mm if it's faulty then that's that.

Last edited:
This was supposed to finish on Sunday but are there any last minute entries that we need to wait for or can I post up a voting poll?

Can I have a few more days please as I did try and make an effort for about 10 shots by guesswork, h'mm but after that, there is no guarantee I'll have anything decent to post....if the Asda machine is working I'll get the film dev and scanned today.
TA

I tried to get a couple of shots at the weekend but I doubt I can get them developed in a reasonable time so don't hold it open for me.

OK folks, let's leave this open until the 27th, just to give any stragglers an opportunity to get an entry in :D

Last edited:
Oh god, now everyone's waiting for me and I suspect my blurred shots will be all blurred as I didn't have a tripod and that's not the brief and I haven't got films from last year processed yet and I've got too many cameras and I don't know what I'm doing and I have to remember to breathe ...

Oh god, now everyone's waiting for me and I suspect my blurred shots will be all blurred as I didn't have a tripod and that's not the brief and I haven't got films from last year processed yet and I've got too many cameras and I don't know what I'm doing and I have to remember to breathe ...
Relax Dean, as I once said to Damon Hill, "slow down, it's not a race". Just take your time, if you manage to get a shot in then great but this really should be a stress free zone, it's not called slow photography for nothing (y)

Just as well we filmies are a patience bunch, can you imagine the furore if this happened in the POTY thread!!
I'll suggest it to Mark for the April results :LOL:

Relax Dean, as I once said to Damon Hill, "slow down, it's not a race". Just take your time, if you manage to get a shot in then great but this really should be a stress free zone, it's not called slow photography for nothing (y)

Hippy. :p

But seriously, it's about time that I got those films developed and this is the kick in the pants I need to get them packaged up and off to Peak. If the comp closes before they're back then I'll post them on the Show Us thread instead. :)

Last edited:
Films dispatched to Peak via special delivery, despite the young lad at the Post Office having to ask his supervisor if they accepted "those old fashioned camera films" for posting. It's in the hands of the developers now, which probably means I'll get them back the day after the entries close :)

Blimey. Nine films developed and received today, great turnaround by Peak Imaging!

I can see the neg I intended for this but I won't know if it's worked until I fire up the scanner ... tomorrow ;)

If I can just work our how to up a poll we'll be sorted :D

Yes,but,do not know how,I hope I never win.

Last edited:
New poll thread started.

Time to declare Adrian the winner?

Congrats Jao......but close as you beat me by only 6 votes. :D

Well done Adrian. Nice one.

Thanks folks, all votes appreciated. I will get my thinking cap on and get back soon with the next challenge.

Back