Film Challenge 33; Colour! The Voting Thread

The winner is......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Ok, dragged on a bit but a healthy entry list so that was worth the wait!

Open for seven days, after which your computer will self destruct........

Mark

Last edited:
Is the rule no voting for yourself? It used to be allowed, then I seem to remember someone casting aspersions on the idea!

Is it up to me as poll poster? As nobody has offered anything on this I would suggest that the fairest way is to allow self voting. That way we can all assume at least one vote.......

M

Is it up to me as poll poster? As nobody has offered anything on this I would suggest that the fairest way is to allow self voting. That way we can all assume at least one vote...

I couldn't vote for myself, it feels wrong given that we're entering for others to judge our efforts. Of course I think my photo is good otherwise I'd have entered something else or not entered at all. It'd be rotten if the self-pity vote made the difference in an otherwise tied poll. I'm happy as long as I end a competition with at least one vote as that means someone else liked my entry. Maybe I need the validation because mummy didn't give me enough hugs but IMO it's more valid than voting for yourself, particularly given the limited number of votes these comps receive.

Maybe the poll should be public in future so we can discount ego-voting.

I do agree with you Dean and if the software could make that happen that would be good. But if it cannot the only way to ensure a level playing field is to encorage eveyone to vote for themselves so that its equal I think? Either we all do or we all dont?

M

I doubt the software could do it unless the forum code is much cleverer than I'm giving it credit for.

I agree that voting has to be equal or it has to be an open vote. Given that it's impossible to verify that no one's voted for themselves on a closed vote, we'd all have to vote for ourselves unless names are shown.

That’s what I really meant Dean, all vote for yourself and then it’s even. It’s the simplest fix!

Mark

there's no "system" based way of blocking "self voting" because the poll options are just boxes, not linked in any way to a particular person other than the text in the narrative box. So - what I's suggest going forward is making the polling visible, and the person who sets the challenge/opens the poll states IN The polling thread if self voting is allowed or not. If not - and someone DOES vote for themselves, they're DQ'ed summarily. If it's allowwed, then it's up to the individual as to if their conscience would allow them to vote for themselves or not. Personally, even if it WAS allowed, i'd never vote for my own - I think its - to use an archaic phrase - "not the action of a Gentleman".

In some previous rounds I have voted for my own pic, since AFAICR that was allowed in some rules earlier on. I did try and only vote when I thought the image was as good as others. But there was a subtle pressure: if you don't vote for your own and everyone else does vote for their own, then you are down one vote (often the decisive margin).

Personally I think the rule should be that we should NOT vote for our own, and should be stated each time... but I think we should trust each other to do that. I believe the mods can see who voted for whom, but I'd rather an infraction resulted in a "quiet word", than any public shaming!

I'm going to vote this round but not for mine!

..... "not the action of a Gentleman".

Completely agree but I suppose its not transparent in this poll. Not sure how to edit the existing so I thought encouraging all to vote was more level. Can I edit existing Mark? Or if you can, please be my guest.

Mark

I think the poll is visible as it stands... once you've voted, click on the number of votes beside a name, and the voter ID's pop up...

Or do you mean Adding in some comment to the initial post ? Because that should be simple - go to post 1 in this thread, and at the bottom, beside the words "Threeracers, Saturday at 4:59pm" text, there should be a option saying "Edit"... just edit in your "No Votee for Selfee under Pain of Deathee" messsage :LOL:

(sorry if i'm sounding a bit silly, it's "Drink Beer at your Desk Thursday" chez Yin... it's been a long day. Starting with Wednesday ending at 4am thursday, and Thursday commencing at 6am... I got to around 2pm and thought "stuff this for a lark, went for a bike ride, and i'm now rehydrating with a couple of bottles of something Belgian before slipping into something more comfortable - like unconsciousness.)

You can click view results at any time if it worries you.

I had no idea you could see (sorry to be a numpty) and in which case the no vote for yourself rule is now formally applied.

My earlier suggestion was only made on the basis that I thought you couldn't check which probbaly makes more sense now I have flagged that up...............

Mark

I think the poll is visible as it stands... once you've voted, click on the number of votes beside a name, and the voter ID's pop up...

Only if whoever set up the poll has clicked the "Display votes publicly" option when they create the thread/poll. Compare with the poll in my Import Issue thread; I didn't select the display option so you can't see how people voted and I'm not able to edit the poll to switch it on.

sorry - yes, I did mean that THIS poll is visible. And it appears I can't edit the poll you linked to as being visible either - maybe the admins could (they get all sorts of access that the mod's don't get because we'd break something) , but I'm not sure if once votes have been registered it'd be locked anyway.

So it seems the onus is on the person setting the poll to ensure it's set as visible - or if they screw up, to page me, and I'll zap the wrong-one and they can set it up properly...

Last edited:
Excellent shot Nick.

Thank you all very much for the votes and good wishes. In a little while I'm going to try and start a thread 34 for the next competition.

Here's a bit of background to excuse any mistakes I might make. On Saturday I was discharged from hospital following an accident on my bike on the 21st, so that's over a week in Fazakerley. I can't add much to the story, other than to say that it followed a fast 18 mph solo trip of 28 miles the day before, so that doesn't ring true with me but we'll see. If I can get my bike back from the Police, then I'll be a happy man.

Good luck all, Nick

Blimey, Nick, hope you're on the mend and best wishes for a swift return to health!

Is this a push bike? Best wishes for a speedy recover.

Had a hospital pitstop after a biking (motor) thing myself a couple of years ago and it did sting a bit so hope you are ok

M

Back