Film Challenge 34: 'Things are looking up' - Discussion Thread

Edit My Images
No
With a title of 'Things are looking up', then we can take the title literally and go for an 'upwards looking' view or use a more general wide scoped meaning and pick a subject of your choosing. My initial thoughts were formed looking at the great photo taken of the 'Queen's House' in Greenwich (sorry can't rememeber the photographer). I hope you all have fun. I think we should close the thread on the 13th October.

I'm going to copy this post into a new thread entitled ' Film Challenge 34 : 'Things are Looking Up' - Entries Thread

Interesting challenge, I'm looking forward to my excuse for missing this one. (y)

Do you know how many times I tried rewriting this post before deciding that there's no way to make an up-skirt joke without sounding creepy?

Anyone cheeky enough could walk amongst a crowd and then point to the sky and shout "wow what's that" and as everyone looks up...... take your shot :D

Intersting challenge, thinking cap on!

Digging the theme for this one, should get some good interpretations... And mine

Interesting challenge, I'm looking forward to my excuse for missing this one. (y)

Do you know how many times I tried rewriting this post before deciding that there's no way to make an up-skirt joke without sounding creepy?

Dude, do you know how hard it is to eat breakfast when suddenly you read something so funny you accidentally inhale your toast?! :LOL:

Sooo, looking up North, I see.

That would be the ideal scenario but I don't think anyone is to bovvered if it wasn't.

That would be the ideal scenario but I don't think anyone is to bovvered if it wasn't.

More controversy so soon after the great Can-We-Self-Vote scandal of 2014?! I've a good mind to start a fee-paying subscription service for this board and pay for a year in advance just to have the satisfaction of cancelling my subscription. Never heard of such a thing, honestly what is the world coming to, young people today, no respect, like that child who pushed past me to get on the train, when I were a lad, eeeeeeeh, the bugger.

Sorry for the basic question .... do the photos have to be taken after the thread was started ?

Noting Andy's reply, I'm pretty sure the general consensus has been that the photo should be taken after the challenge is announced. I certainly noticed someone replying re a shot that I thought might have been suitable, that it had been taken before the challenge and was not eligible. But I'm only a newcomer round here, better send someone to ask Roberts?

Generally I'll only enter one that I've shot for the month but it's not unheard of for folk to raid the archives in a pinch.

It is generally accepted that shots for entry into the challenges should be taken specifically for or at least during the challenge.

The main reason for this is to encourage people to get out and take pictures and not to just trawl through their archives to find a shot that fits the challenge.

Yes, I have checked with Roberts and he has confirmed the above. Not sure what I was thinking before, it may be the drink or the drugs or the drink and the drugs........

Out of interest... are we allowed to change our entry if we get something better before the deadline?

That used to be the rule, but I'm no longer certain about anything!

I've a vague feeling that when I've changed the pic I get fewer votes than when I don't. I have absolutely no evidence for this!

It seems to me the rules are flexible. After all, it's a bit of fun.

Personally though, I'm happiest with myself if I take the picture during the challenge and don't change it.

Out of interest... are we allowed to change our entry if we get something better before the deadline?
Yep, as long as it's taken during the challenge you can enter what you like and change your entry.

.....just to add:- I think the "like" comments should be omitted, although it would be OK if the person who set the challenge posted he liked every entry.

Can we 'like' the entries to indicate our votes? We agreed previously to have a public poll so it'd save creating another thread to put the poll in as we can no longer add a poll to the entries thread. Just a thought, happy to discuss :)

Can we 'like' the entries to indicate our votes? We agreed previously to have a public poll so it'd save creating another thread to put the poll in as we can no longer add a poll to the entries thread. Just a thought, happy to discuss :)

Interesting thought. It would certainly make things easier. My initial concern is that a "Like" is much more casual and un-considered than a poll vote. With the latter it is much clearer that you are being asked to vote in the challenge, whereas the "Like" normally means something else; there's no way to distinguish this to mean a formal Like in the sense of a vote... But it's simple. Maybe the winner of this challenge might choose to suggest it for the next round?

Irony....:)

Mind you it could be to an entrants advantage as if he\she doesn't get any likes then they can submit another shot:D

Mind you it could be to an entrants advantage as if he\she doesn't get any likes then they can submit another shot:D

That's a fair point, there's no time-bounding on when a 'like' can be registered whereas a poll thread can't be voted on before it's created (well, duh) and it can be set to time out.

Feel free to ignore me today, I'm seeing off a cold so I'm buzzing on cough sweets and max-strength Beechams :)

Well it looks like I wont be entering this month as I've just wasted a journey to Asda Slough and the Photo dept is all boarded up, anyway found the girl who works there as she said "AFAIk the film dept is staying and they are moving it and it will be opening on Oct 14" h'mmm well lets hope so.

I'm glad to see that we have a nice number of good entries. I do remember saying that I would close the competition today but am wondering if staying open for another week might attract another batch of entries? Please let me know if there are likely to be any more entries within the next week; if no positive replies are received, then I'll close it by the weekend and try and construct a 'poll thread' somehow.

I might have one, will dig my scanner out and have a look tonight/tomorrow

I would be grateful for a day or two extra please. I might have something but I haven't had time to look at my last few rolls properly yet.

Ta very glad

Any more entries anyone, or shall I close it tomorrow or Saturday and try to make poll thread?

Mines in!

ditto, I've ended up with about 3 but went with the conventional one since I've finished it...

Back