Film Challenge 37 "SHADOWS" - Discussion thread

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Struggled to think for a theme for this month, but after a bit of thinking (and a lot of Googling) I've decided on "shadows" as it is fairly straight forward but gives a lot of room for creativity and out-of-the-box thinking if you want to dry something a bit different.

I guess Sat the 28th would be the deadline? Not that it matters as you lot are always late anyway :p haha

Entries must be shot on film and shot for this challenge :)

Cheers,

Carl

Good one. Thinking caps on.

Interesting theme... Might even see if I can get on in for this challenge.

I've added the disscusion and entries threads to the Challenge Sticky so even if the threads slip down the page, they're easily findable...

Interesting but I usually have a 5'oclock grey shadow on my face...maybe a selfie of my cheek :D

Can we submit the same shot? ;)

Do we need to change the theme or can we leave it as it is seeing as you can't enter old shots anyway?
IMHO just leave it, it's more of a challenge finding shadow shots in winter.

Do we need to change the theme or can we leave it as it is seeing as you can't enter old shots anyway?

It's fine... leave it as it is, as you say, they need to be new shots taken after your announcement yesterday anyway, so what the hell.

For future reference though... just to try and avoid too many duplications, there IS the big sticky thread with links to all the previous challenges (and old film challenges) up at the top of the forum. ;)

..........the sun is low in the sky this time of year, so long shadows all day.......so it would be easier to get more interesting shots, h'mm well if we have some sun at convenient shooting times.

The earth is nearer to the sun in winter time and sunlight it's quite warm so no excuses for not taking shots ;)

Last edited:
Dead easy Yv... Set the digital to same ISO and shutter speed as your film cameras sync setting and film ISO, use the same lens on both cameras, get it right on the digital, and transfer the setting...

The only problem in winter (well for me) is:- you take the shots for the challenge but what do you use the rest of the film up on if it doesn't snow......even in summer I just got a shot in after finishing up the film and getting to Asda, which all took a month :rolleyes:

The only problem in winter (well for me) is:- you take the shots for the challenge but what do you use the rest of the film up on if it doesn't snow......even in summer I just got a shot in after finishing up the film and getting to Asda, which all took a month :rolleyes:
Buy a 5x4 camera Brian , problem solved, single cut sheets, no waiting for the rest of the roll

Dead easy Yv... Set the digital to same ISO and shutter speed as your film cameras sync setting and film ISO, use the same lens on both cameras, get it right on the digital, and transfer the setting...

yep, that's the plan... and chuck in some OCF too :D Now ok, the D700 doesn't actually DO the same ISO, but is near as damn it and I can adjust marginally for that. Just hope Beth manage to sort the props, already got some bits, just need a few others to complete 'the look' :naughty:

I may be doing pretty much exactly the same thing tomorrow, only with the eos3 and 7d.

Must get a new battery for the flash meter...

OCF... Ah, forgot, you're a speed light person... Never got into that, far prefer nice solid studio flash with proper modelling lights...

For some reason I didn't have much luck when I tried this.

A proper flash meter is an absolute godsend.

I have absolutely no knowledge of studio lighting, which I do quite often think holds me back with photo ideas that I have sometimes lol. Couldn't figure it out with digital gear so I haven't even got a clue where to begin with film!

It's a bit like developing. Much easier than you think it will be.

I quickly ran up against the lack of talent issue, but very acceptable results can be got quite easily.

As a start, get a flash for your camera and a flash meter. Point the flash at a wall or a big reflector and be amazed. :)

Buy a 5x4 camera Brian , problem solved, single cut sheets, no waiting for the rest of the roll

Thanks for reminding me that I put a film in the RB67 for a shot about 6 months ago and only 9 shots to go, so two shots for shadows that leaves 7 shots for erm, err, let me think, h'mm :D

3 for the challenge 37 and the rest for the POTY (theme for february being COLD)
Easy..

Gerrit Shot

Well - all being well, I may actually have something for this challenge - of course, theres plenty of if's and but's in the way yet - as in it's a tabletop job, indoors, with studio flash, on the bronny, with film that's been in storage for 3 years, and I can't remember which end of the camera to point at the subject and which to look into. Couple that with it most likely being on the first roll of film I soup for (again) near on 3 years and, statistically, it's not looking good for there being a result - but - what the hell - i've over a hundred rolls of film in the fridge, if I don't start using them, they're going to end up going to waste.

Took a few photos Friday night of an idea that I had for some shadow photos, but it turned out to be rubbish! Back to the drawing board for me!

Okay, that's 2 rolls of 120 C41 film away to Peak for developing and a roll of Delta 100 sitting on the shelf shouting "get the bloody chemistry set fired up"... Who know's there MAY actually he something that I can enter for this competition on one or other of the rolls (with a bit of luck and a favourable wind...)

Sadly on extended review of the "digital polaroid" of the shots I was hoping to bank for the May edition of the Staff POTY are fundamentally flawed composition wise, so they'll have to be consigned to the wasted film box I guess - other than being proof (or otherwise) that my methods are working...

Actually, I've just realised - the roll of Portra that I put through the Bronnie for this challenge was actually the "spare roll" from the Homeless Holga challenge... god only knows what's going to come out on that roll - considering it's been maltreated at the hands of the post office for umpteen thousand miles, kicked around god only knows how many sorting offices, and left on at least 15 peoples dining room tables for a week or two while they shot their contribution to the Helga Thread...

Apologies in advance to any poor souls from Peak Imaging who find they have to work out what the hell is going on with that roll in order to divide the negatives :LOL:

:woot::woot::woot: FINALLY, I can stop feeling like a bloody fraud for hanging out in the F&C section... Entered one of the "current photo" challenges AND posted a image in a Crit. thread.

Love the shot Mark, very moody. I can't view the book properly, even on the largest Flickr image, is the page open on Psalms 23:4?

Frankly, for once it wasn't exactly planned to the minute detail - it's open on whatever page the bookmark was in from the last time it was opened :LOL:

If I'd not have been on such heavy medication at the time I took it, it'd probably have been open there, but in all honesty I can't claim to have been thinking quite that clearly...

Last edited:
I do love the fact that I've been so obsessive in the details of stuff I've shot before, that it makes people look for extra hidden meanings or clues in there (even when I'm operating on painkillers so strong I could barely get the damned image in focus :LOL:)

I've GOT ONE. First time I've entered in ages. It'll have to wait till tomorrow now before I can upload it, the wife just chucked me off the computer.

My attempt failed, need to try again tomorrow.

Hopefully got a couple of possibles yesterday, off to Asda tomorrow!

Damn it's going to be difficult to better most of the shots entered :(

aaaaggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Back