Film Photo Challenge 06 Discussion

images

Apologies guys, I let this one slip!

I like the Industrial theme (probably because I'm in London! :D ), so in the absence of having a better idea myself I've gone with that.

I've put a fairly short deadline on the finish (7th March) to try and get the challenge timings back on course.

Hope that's all OK?

Thread here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=293088

wonder if we should try an announcement in the challenges and comp's section to try and widen the appeal ? Who knows, some people may just drag out their old film cameras and have a shot at it :shrug:

Yeah good idea Mark...

I need some inspiration this week and I think this will be it.

The other thread says that the images for challenge 5 are to be in by 7th march then says that challenge 6 is running the 4 weeks from 1st feb, is there one currently on?

wonder if we should try an announcement in the challenges and comp's section to try and widen the appeal ? Who knows, some people may just drag out their old film cameras and have a shot at it :shrug:

I think they should have more direction, a clear challenge, something more specific.
This think of a word and shoot something that is vaguely connected to it, or in fact traipse through your collection of already shot frames and see if you have something vaguely connected with it, all a bit too hairy fairy.
Some peeps will say they want to shoot what they want to shoot and a one word assignment gives them more scope to please themselves, but in my experience those types of people won't contribute whatever the challenge unless by coincidence they just happen to be shooting the subject anyway.

The alternative is to set out a series of challenges for the year ahead, and allow people to add/swap their entry under each heading throughout the entire year. It doesn't have to be one a month, there may not even be that many headings (e.g. landscape, still life, portrait, wildlife..).

Fixed length challenges encourage people to get out and shoot, but it does create thet "doh!" moment when a week after the challenge ended you find yourself in the perfect location for the challenge just ended.. or you were just there the week before the start of the challenge period. And if you prefer to bulk up your developing to for discounts, you're SOOL with the current challenge set-up.

***Fixed length challenges encourage people to get out and shoot***

It's been the dullest Feb for many years, and there might be a few people like me who marry up keeping fit and photography by riding a bike (or walking) erm but it's got to be sunny and warm for me......but if the subject had been easy like a "church" I could have entered this comp.

I guess I need to set the challenge for 07 (thanks for voting!) but do we want something specific or.....

Do what makes you happy, that's the prize, don't chuck it away on something you're not interested in doing..:)

Do what makes you happy, that's the prize, don't chuck it away on something you're not interested in doing..:)

+1. Enjoy your prize! You'll never get a consensus. This Industrial round was one that can only (easily) be taken literally, and was during a fairly miserable month for getting out and about, yet we're seeing the best selection of entries for some months!

Who'd have thunk?

What's the current challenge? Anyone? I'm confused.

The current challenge is this one (the one just finishing). Liam should be setting the next one any time now. The dates have been slipping a bit, but generally the aim is to have one challenge open for photo submissions, and one open for votes at the same time. **edit and here it is**

This may make it impractical for some to be shooting in the few final of days of each challenge (given that they'll need time to develop and upload). But with a different host every month, I don't think we could manage challenges starting before the previous challenge has closed.

Last edited:
Back