Film Photo Challenge Discussion 07

erm methinks a lot of macro or close ups will be posted ;)

Don't have a problem with that, after all it's a indoor job with no heavy lifting :LOL:

Well I was thinking of this comp and was photographing a Robin (quite close, well it will be when I enlarge the shot :LOL: ) this morning with a X-700 and zoom at 200mm. I'm hoping a shutter speed of 1/250 with zoom at 200mm erm :( will beat a Robin's lightning reaction to jump when it heard the shutter go. :shrug:

"Use your photographic skill to convey the words "DETAILS""

Somehow I think some will think of "details" as lens/image resolution rather than a concept?

"Use your photographic skill to convey the words "DETAILS""

Somehow I think some will think of "details" as lens/image resolution rather than a concept?

And whom is going to be the arbitrator to decide what shot is acceptable :cautious:

The people who vote will decide if it's valid or not, we don't need anybody to give rulings on what is and isn't acceptable. If you don't like it, don't vote for it.
Simples.
Meerkat.gif

The people who vote will decide if it's valid or not, we don't need anybody to give rulings on what is and isn't acceptable. If you don't like it, don't vote for it.
Simples.
Meerkat.gif

Ah! true....anyone like close up of a robin :LOL:

I've shot a couple of fferings for this to finish off a roll of film from yet another trip to Nnatlle, will see how it turns out.

I shall be making an extra effort to enter this one, I've been a bit lax lately.

Andy

Well I was thinking of this comp and was photographing a Robin (quite close, well it will be when I enlarge the shot :LOL: ) this morning with a X-700 and zoom at 200mm. I'm hoping a shutter speed of 1/250 with zoom at 200mm erm :( will beat a Robin's lightning reaction to jump when it heard the shutter go. :shrug:

......and the Robin shots were a disaster as I thought they would be in that you need a min of 300min lens for bird shooting and 1/250 for 200mm is borderline for hand-held shots:-
Quite a big enlargement, but fiddles in Photohop can't make up for poor use of equipment:-
Ensinor 200mm zoom, Fuji Superia.
robin-800px.jpg

Hello All,

I have to say now out loud that I do not like this Film challenge, I never had.

First of all the entries have been low, IMO that is because it is to narrow.

What is wrong with having just a monthly film challenge, any film any camera any genre, I am sure this would bring in more entries, which is what we want?

We are in a small, very small enclave of photographers and we do not need to keep it smaller by the conditions of our monthly test.

Let me know your views.

PS, Liam, nothing to do with you my friend, just happened to occur on this month, I love you and your photography:love:

Hi medwaygreen, I can see why you would want the challenge to be open but I like to have a reason to shoot.

Hello All,

I have to say now out loud that I do not like this Film challenge, I never had.

First of all the entries have been low, IMO that is because it is to narrow.

What is wrong with having just a monthly film challenge, any film any camera any genre, I am sure this would bring in more entries, which is what we want?

We are in a small, very small enclave of photographers and we do not need to keep it smaller by the conditions of our monthly test.

Let me know your views.

PS, Liam, nothing to do with you my friend, just happened to occur on this month, I love you and your photography:love:

Disagree. :bat:

The idea of a specific topic looks better for me at least because you are starting to think how can you use your imagination and skills in relation to a specific topic. While if it is just something general - you are submitting your usual everyday photos.

For example especially for "Industrial" topic I visited a Water cleaning factory and got really great experience. Otherwise I don't think I would had attended it.

There are not very many entries - its true - but perhaps we just all should try to submit photos even if we are busy at work... Of course if it is interesting for us.

For the topic "Details" I even bought a macro ring for my MF system so its good to have in mind a special topic so you have some time to think about your future photo, prepare for it and finally do it. ;):p

Don't be lazy! Go-go-go!!!

Disagree. :bat:

The idea of a specific topic looks better for me at least because you are starting to think how can you use your imagination and skills in relation to a specific topic. While if it is just something general - you are submitting your usual everyday photos.

For example especially for "Industrial" topic I visited a Water cleaning factory and got really great experience. Otherwise I don't think I would had attended it.

There are not very many entries - its true - but perhaps we just all should try to submit photos even if we are busy at work... Of course if it is interesting for us.

For the topic "Details" I even bought a macro ring for my MF system so its good to have in mind a special topic so you have some time to think about your future photo, prepare for it and finally do it. ;):p

Don't be lazy! Go-go-go!!!

I think I posted something in the other thread. I would keep the themes but remove the time restriction. Have a number of themes that run alongside each other for 10-12 months, and if anyone really wants to have a poodle contest have voting at the end of the year.

The "details" theme is great, it fits with a project I want to do. But the deadline is probably a two-six weeks early for the shoot I have been planning (orchards and apple blossom). Likewise the "night" (or "industry", I forget which) theme started two days after I spent the night out with a friend shooting long exposure night shots of local industries.

There's plenty of us shooting film, but there are consistently only a few entries per theme. I've mentioned the reasons that frustrate me. Unless the trouble is taken to find out what everyone elses frustrations are, it's only ever going to be conjecture as to why there aren't more entries.

For me, the whole thing that makes it a CHALLENGE is the restricted timescale and theme. Take either of those away, and it's just a series of "Show us your...." threads.

I wish I had the time to be able to get out and shoot something for these themed challenges, but sadly, I've barely managed to get more than a hour's shooting outside of my home at any one time for the last 5 months.

I don't particularly like shooting film indoors, and at the moment my recent projects have all been tied up with learning to work with studio flash kit on still-life's - something that in fairness, I not only think is working better for me on dijikal, but is way, WAY more affordable. I do have to admit, I've got a roll of film in the EOS-3 that's half shot, which has a number of frames from the still-life pictures on it - but they're the end shot, when I've used the 7D as a "dijikal polaroid" and shot maybe 80 frames in getting it right. I am looking forward to souping that roll though ;)

For me, the whole thing that makes it a CHALLENGE is the restricted timescale and theme. Take either of those away, and it's just a series of "Show us your...." threads.

I feel that way too. I've been wanting to get out and try for one of these challenges. If there is one a month, hey, you get plenty of opportunities :)

I'm another voice broadly in favour of staying with keeping it a monthly challenge. Maybe I've been lucky and been able to twist the last few challenge topics to something I wanted to try, but if the challenge has no time limit or an open theme, I'd certainly miss the focus.

"Money" was a tough one. I had a few good ideas, but messed up on the development of the roll where most of my shots were then ran out of time.

That said, it's an open forum, so there's no reason not to start a "The best film shot I took in March 2011 thread" or a "Show us your best Natural light (film) shot".

Personally, I like the stimulation and the encouragement to shoot more (film) than I probably otherwise would. I've had a few good walks on pretence of getting the kids out of the house...

well - I MAY have something with lots of details that I can enter for this challenge... only problem is that it's a Black and White Film version of my current POTY entry for march, and I daren't post another variation of the shot until the March POTY is closed and voting completed. :shrug: That's always supposing it actually comes out of course - it'll be my first attempt with the new lighting kit and the EOS-3, and I'm really hoping that I copied all the settings over from the Dijikal correctly :LOL:

Deadline tomorrow guys, get that film finished and developed!!!

Ahh, dammit - comp. closes a little too early for me to submit the shot I wanted :( Daren't compromise the POTY competition entry though - don't want to post anything until after the polling closes on the 8th :bonk:

My effort is up, cutting it fine as always :p

Back