Film Photo Challenge Discussion 10

I have submitted, but I'm not sure if it will count, its not film and it aint conventional.
Its a wet plate collodion image done today at a workshop.

Mart

I do NOT take Photographs of People - If I'd have wanted to Shoot people I'd have joined the Army!

Last edited:
I have something to enter pending successful development and not getting stuck in Italy until the deadline has passed.

I would shoot some more but I've been in Vietnam for most of August and will still be here well after the deadline!!
Infact I have some scanned at home, but I'm not there!!

Mart

I have changed my entry to a "real" portrait. Again wet plate collodion, this one is a tintype but done on aluminium.
Mart

Common... show us some real portraits... Not plastic faces... There should be plenty of pretty faces... What are you shooting all!!! :bonk:

The challenge asks ... convey the words "PORTRAIT". I'd say any shot which gets that message across is a success with an actual portrait being the most obvious, least creative and could be off the mark. A picture may be classified a "portrait" but convey different words entirely when you look at it.

Last edited:
AlanSmithee said:
The challenge asks ... convey the words "PORTRAIT". I'd say any shot which gets that message across is a success with an actual portrait being the most obvious, least creative and could be off the mark. A picture may be classified a "portrait" but convey different words entirely when you look at it.

I'm just trying to say that I was expecting to see hundreds of beautiful faces here because the challenge subject is "Portraits"... If you check Wikipedia normally "Portraits" is about people... But I don't mind to see some creative ways to convey the word "Portraits". I just thought we would have at least 100 photos posted in this challenge! So show us your works guys!!! Go-go-go...

I'm just trying to say that I was expecting to see hundreds of beautiful faces here because the challenge subject is "Portraits"... If you check Wikipedia normally "Portraits" is about people... But I don't mind to see some creative ways to convey the word "Portraits". I just thought we would have at least 100 photos posted in this challenge! So show us your works guys!!! Go-go-go...

Have you actually ever looked at any of the photo's from film threads... I'd guess that portraits constitute maybe 10% at most of the pictures posted ("street" photography not included in the portrait stuff). Other than yourself and Danny, it seems a large number of us enjoy pointing our cameras at something other than people...

...because the challenge subject is "Portraits"...

That's where we don't see the challenge the same. I see "portrait" as a concept your picture must convey as apposed to a category of picture you take.

Last edited:
Loads of great entries this month! I am going to have a go at some LF portraits today....

Just voted for Marvin D Martian and his wet plate image, very large format esque, and I love large format portraiture, if I could justify the cost I'd be all over it

Has everybody voted? Can we start a new challenge?

poll runs for 7 days from being set up, so it finishes tomorrow iirc.

Edit:

to be specific ;)

Thanks Mark, I really should pay more attention :LOL:

I only knew because I set it up, and thought "That's gonna finish on my Dad's Birthday" :LOL:

What's the next challenge then?

It's simple danny - you decide on a subject, then create 2 threads, one for the discussion and the other for the entries. Use the previous challenges threads as a template for consistency, just changing entry/duration dates and challenge no.'s...

Then when you've created them, PM me and i'll sticky them at the top of the forum. Don't worry about poll's etc. - again just PM me at the appropriate time and i'll sort something out for you :)

Uh? Never participated before so don't really know the procedure :)

Start a new thread, pick a subject and we all go out and snap random photo's and try and make them fit the brief :LOL:

Too slow :bang:

yeah - but you managed to get the bit about us crowbarring in all the random, non compliant pictures into the challenge, so we're even ;)

Back