Filters/Holders?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get some square filters and some nd/nd grad filters.

I don't want to spend a fortune so any comments on Kood vs Cokin (I'm thinking P - any reason to go for a differnt size?) ? Any significant difference to the generic compatible ones on fleabay?

I think that the Kood Light Grey and Dark Grey graduated filters are their name for ND (.3/.6?)

Anyone have experience of www.cameramarts.co.uk? Currently doing free postage which seems to make the holders comparable to generic ones on ebay. (£2.99 for the holder and £2.99 for the adapter ring of any size)

Where else is a good place to buy the filters/holders etc?

I used to own some Cokin P but I found them too small and they caused a slight cast as they were not true neutral

I now use Hi-tech which are a lot better and didn't cost the earth

Thanks for the comment - where did you get them?

My first search finds them at around £25/filter which is, if not the earth, at least a couple of smaller planets.

What lens are you looking to use them on? The "P" sized filters (85mm) will vignette below about 14mm on a crop IIRC.

Cokin seem to give a lot of people a purple colour cast. I've never used them so can't comment personally, but a search of this site will give you some examples.

If you do decide to go for the HiTech filters, a set of 3 ND Grads are around £30 for the 85mm and £60 for the 100mm ones.

The 85mm ones will fit in any Cokin P compatible filter holder.

you can get them from Teamwork or Formatt (who actually manufacture them)

I'm an olympus (crop factor 2) user and I'll not be going below 14mm so I think that the P will be ok for my needs.

Thanks - I'd found the formatt site, but not a set. found that now.

cheers

I too am looking to get some ND & ND grad filters for landscape photography.

From reading loads of posts on the subject of filters I have decided to go with the Hitech filters as the Lee are out of my price range & the cokin one have had reports of casting when stacked.

Was thinking of a set of Hitech ND grad (soft) filters & 1 ND filter to get me started.

What size of Hitech ND/ND Grads would you guys recommend for the Sigma 10-20mm? (on a canon 400d)
From reading all the filter related posts I think that 100mm (x125mm) would be the best, but I want to be sure before I take the plunge.

If you had to choose 1 ND filter for landscapes, what would it be? I was thinking the 2 stop (0.6) or the 3 stop (0.9)

Also what brand of holder & adapter ring (77mm) should I get?
The Lee holders? Or is there a cheaper option that will do the job too.
Ideally I would like 3 slots so I have the option of being able to stack filters.

Cheers,
James

(edit. or maybe I should get 1 ND grad and a set of ND's?)

The 100mm (Cokin Z-Pro equiv) filters would be best.
Many people here swear by the Lee holder. If you're just starting out, a cheap plastic copy off ebay will get you going until you figure out if you'll use them often enough to justify the Lee.

Also what brand of holder & adapter ring (77mm) should I get?
The Lee holders? Or is there a cheaper option that will do the job too.
Ideally I would like 3 slots so I have the option of being able to stack filters.

Cheers,
James

(edit. or maybe I should get 1 ND grad and a set of ND's?)[/QUOTE]

I think you will find 3 slots will vignette on a 10-20 lens ( at least they do on my Canon 10-22 )
If you really need 3 filters at one time Lee will make a combined one
( whatever you need 0.6ND grad+whatever eg. 81b)
On such a wide lens you will struggle with more than two filters.
A polariser plus a grad would be all you would normally need.
That is why the Lee holder is adjustable for 1,2, or 3 slots.
C

Swiped the advice I was given..........

Recently given similar advice and have purchaced HiTech grads, Cokin Holder, with Kood adaptor rings. The Kood adaptor rings are much cheaper, than Cokin and do the same job. The Cokin holder is much cheaper than the Hitech holder and again does the same job. The Hitech grads are excellent.
You can get the Hitech filters from Teamwork Digital - http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.p...f188439f295953
You get get the Cokin holder and Kood adaptor rings from Premier Inks -
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...0_361_363.html

......I purchased from the above and everything was quick and easy.

Wide angled Cokin P holder works on my 10-20 Sigma on a 40D when attached with kood rings.

Wide angle holder has one slot so you can't stack but the normal holder has three.

So Dinners you are using the Hitech 85mm on the P series wide angled holder, any probs of vignetting at 10mm?

Back