Finally...A Pine Marten . More Pics Added

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I've waited nearly 2 years to get a shot of a Pine Marten and I finally did it last week. This was taken from the veranda of the lodge we rented on Loch Lochy in the Great Glen. He/she had appeared earlier and I took a few shots through the window which were ok but i thought there may be another visit so stood on the veranda and sure enough after 5 minutes he/she re-appeared.

I got the hard stare for a few seconds but I was obviously considered harmless so was allowed a few minutes to get the shots. :D

PM01-1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

I'll post a few more later of one of the kits.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
Andy, great shot mate of a seriously ****ed off creature.
Do not even think of going back out there to rescue your nuts!
They just are not worth it!

lovely capture, only ever had one fleeting glimpse of one of these (and no camera as usual)

As said above, he does look more than just a tad upset at something (y)

I've waited nearly 2 years to get a shot of a Pine Marten and I finally did it last week. This was taken from the veranda of the lodge we rented on Loch Lochy in the Great Glen. He/she had appeared earlier and I took a few shots through the window which were ok but i thought there may be another visit so stood on the veranda and sure enough after 5 minutes he/she re-appeared.

I got the hard stare for a few seconds but I was obviously considered harmless so was allowed a few minutes to get the shots. :D

PM01-1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

I'll post a few more later of one of the kits.

Cheers

Andy

Is the kits the babies?

Be fascinating to find out a bit more about Pine Martins.

Habitat: woodland, mainly coniferous but found in mixed woodland too. Sometimes lives on rocky moorland and hillsides.

Description: cat-size and slender with long, dark, chestnut-brown fur and a bushy tail; has a distinctive creamy-yellow throat.

Size: male measures, on average, 68cm from nose to tip of tail. Female is slightly smaller.

Life-span: may reach 10 years or more in the wild. Food: mainly small birds and mammals, including squirrels, voles, tits and wrens. Also eats beetles, caterpillars, birds' eggs, berries and carrion (dead animals).

Last edited:
They also love peanut butter and jam. :D

Hi

I have lived with these animals in the roof for nine years. Not a very pleasant experience. Normally they only come out at night perhaps this one was hungry or feeding young. Some times they would catch and eat the edible door mouse. I would find there discarded heads around the roof and garden. They are called ' fouine ' here in France.

A tip for those looking for them. The produce a dirt about half a little finger in size, usually black in colour and containing pips or fruit stones when fruit is in season.

The picture is an amazing capture of a very secretive animal. Well done.

Graham

Hi

I have lived with these animals in the roof for nine years. Not a very pleasant experience. Normally they only come out at night perhaps this one was hungry or feeding young. Some times they would catch and eat the edible door mouse. I would find there discarded heads around the roof and garden. They are called ' fouine ' here in France.

A tip for those looking for them. The produce a dirt about half a little finger in size, usually black in colour and containing pips or fruit stones when fruit is in season.

The picture is an amazing capture of a very secretive animal. Well done.

Graham

Yes Graham they have young but also they are quite used to people so they often are seen during the day.

Andy

Superb capture and what a thrill it must have been.
A seriously cool animal, but with attitude lol

Tony

Thanks everyone, I was amazed at how long they stayed around and with me standing 10 feet away in plain view as well.

Here's a couple more.

Pine-Marten-Kit1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

PM02 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers

Andy

Well caught set Andy, nice detail.

Great shot I have seen 1 or 2 but never got close enough to get a shot of 1.

More great shots.

Just for the info, the (La) Fouine in France is the Stone Marten, not as is commonly stated the Pine Marten (Martre). It is the Stone Marten that is the scary roof dweller far more often than the Pine Marten.

Tara

Last edited:
Super detail just a shame he is on a feeder and not a natural perch - not a big problem though

Stan

great shots well done

Back