Finally got up for a sunrise! Shoreham by Sea - West Sussex

Really nice light in both, looks like the conditions were worth getting up for!

Number 1 needs levelling tho as the horizon is off, and there is some heavy vignetting.

Really nice light in both, looks like the conditions were worth getting up for!

Number 1 needs levelling tho as the horizon is off, and there is some heavy vignetting.

I'm normally pretty good at noticing wonky shots but that one slipped me by it seems hehe :D

The vignetting is PP added rather than lens. For some reason I usually prefer my landscapes with a big of vignetting

I'm normally pretty good at noticing wonky shots but that one slipped me by it seems hehe :D

The vignetting is PP added rather than lens. For some reason I usually prefer my landscapes with a big of vignetting
Easily done :) Ah fair enough if it's intentional, just seemed heavy to me. But as I say, cracking light and clouds.

Horizon corrected :D

I think I like the vignetting on a lot of landscapes because it does tend to aid you to focus on the main subject which is usually somewhere near the middle. I don't mind losing some of the detail in the corners since there isn't much there here other than sky and pebbles. The sunlight reflecting on the pebbles in the front also means the middle is brighter than the edges which I quite liked.

I prefer the second, just to be different. I don't like the vignetting of the first, but it's your image, but I like the simpler composition and subtler light of the second. Also the silhouetted birds draw the eye in. In the first I feel the foreground and background are both fighting for dominance.

I prefer the second, just to be different. I don't like the vignetting of the first, but it's your image, but I like the simpler composition and subtler light of the second. Also the silhouetted birds draw the eye in. In the first I feel the foreground and background are both fighting for dominance.

Yeah the second is definitely more subtle and I like the way the water extends all the way across the bottom of the shot.

The first one is almost as if the splash is the subject since it's in front which wasn't really intentional but due to the angle it kinda turned that way. It might have been interesting if the flash went right up in front of the sun :) Something for the future given the right conditions I guess!

Nice Pair.... However I'm with the others on the vignetting im afraid. I guess vignetting is ok(ish) in the case that your point of intrest is in the centre....
There are elements i like in both but obviously this is just my personal take on them:rolleyes:

No 1 Quite like the shot... for me the burst of spray is the point of interest / focal point. I think the vignetting and the shallow depth of field has nailed the foreground interest as the immediate forground is OOF. I guess the point of focus must have been either the rocks or just in front. As mentioned above the horizon is a tad off. I really like the rays from the sun and the sun hitting the underside of the clouds, the exposure is controlled, and there's some nice gradients and colour in the sky. Like the light hitting the sea and the little highlights its created across the pebbles and the few little highlights in the spray. Not convinced about the dead central composition? Also (and i know im going to get shouted down here) I'd have that Bl00dy Sh1te hawk out of it:) (its OK just an inherent dislike ex Navy people have for seagulls, Notheing to do with photography:D).

No2 Much more subtle shot, softer light, lovely rays from the sun brushing the clouds, and softly lighing the water. There is some nice pricks of like hitting the rocks in places and like the foaming waves. Wonky horizon, BTW this could be your tripod sinking in the sand / pebbles often happens on the beach. Ditto above with the seagulls, but again this is a personal thing.

Please dont think this is negative, its not intended to be, after all Photography is very subjective!
All the best
Steve

As mentioned above the horizon is a tad off.

The cheek of it! lol :p The #1 shot here is the corrected version so the horizon in #1 is about as level as I can get it :) #2 was levelled quickly by eye in PP but I can see it's very slightly off if I drag the pic down and compare the horizon to my task bar here at work.

As for the s-hawk, as an ex-navy person myself I don't have a dislike! Probably because I didn't see too many as a stoker ;) I quite like seagull silhouettes in my shots and I think I removed two others from that first shot but left one. The position of it isn't great and I guess I could move it if I really wanted.

The centre composition isn't generally a good idea but I don't mind it in a seascape like this where there isn't much else in the scene but maybe that's just me.

Thanks for the comments and crit etc! I don't mind since it's always interesting to hear people's opinions. The vignetting seems a bit marmite hehe

OK i'll let you off No1 as i'm at work with crappy monitor;)
Ha Ha Ha best i dont tell you what i was then:rolleyes: and nope i wasnt a Blanket Stacker or a Pen Pusher:)
Yes guess your right about Marmite.... Rather have Cheesy, Hammy, Eggie though:D
Carry on that man!

Back