Beginner Fire and Light

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been meaning to do this for a ling time now and after reading through a few ORB threads on here I decided to get off my ass and have a go myself..

I called up a mate to lend a hand (thanks Kev) and below is the result...

1st attempt at an ORB

This was a simple LED Torch cable tied to the end of a dog leash.

IMG_1285 by stokeri, on Flickr

With a little bit of EL Wire on a stick thrown in for good measure.

IMG_1289 by stokeri, on Flickr

Fire (This is awesome and I can see me doing alot more of this int he future)

IMG_1290 by stokeri, on Flickr

Again with a little EL Wire

IMG_1299 by stokeri, on Flickr

Fire ORB

IMG_1300 by stokeri, on Flickr

The night was just a play around and I'm completely open to comments and criticism from anyone that has more experience than myself

Hope you enjoy

Cheers for letting me join you on this one, it was great fun and interesting learning more.

After letting the shoot sink in and looking though the images again here are some of my findings that may be helpful for others. (and me when I try this again)

No1, Use a man size whisk for the wire wool pics.. the small one I had would only hold 6 to 8 seconds of wool before it was used up.

No2, Take a spare lighter in case one stops working like mine did.

No3, The Speed of the swing is everything, experiment with both fast and slow swings for very different results.

No4, Remember spin the wire wool between you and the camera, not away from the camera.

No5, When doing the orbs remember that your body is not the center of the sphere but you should rotate yourself around which ever hand is spinning the chain, this will do two things, reduce the chance of your body being in the shot and the orb will be more spherical giving a better end result.

No6, My EL Wire stick needs some work as the cable ties are causing gaps in the light produced.

i do like the wire wool shots, not keen on the ones with both in! always wanted to try it, might have to now seeing your attempts

I've got the stuff for the wire wool spinning, just got to get my ass to a suitable location.... But for a 1st attempt I'd be chuffed if mine came out that well.

Liking the 3rd and 5th (y) although the 3rd might be a bit tightly cropped and as you say, you need to be stood at the other side. I've not done a lot of wire wool, but loads of orbs :)

Sometimes I can spin a perfect orb every time, other nights I can't get it right to save mi life :D.....what I've stated doing, for when I can't get it right, is carrying a bit of string and a piece of chalk in mi bag, 12 inch long with a loop at each end. I then draw a circle with it, mark the centre and use it to walk round ( a 2ft circle is about right for me) . Don't press to hard with the chalk, just enough to see it or else you end up having to clone it out of the image :D

As soon as I looked at #1, the Joe 90 music started off in my head and #3 is the biggest catherine wheel I've ever seen. Nice!

Some good stuff there, you seem to have the exposures well sorted.

The easiest way I've found for orbs is to put a marker on the ground- something small but distinctive like a coin or bottle lid- and try to get your light to pass straight over it every time. It also helps if your orb string is wired with a 'push to make' switch so you can start spinning with it unlit and only switch the lights on once you've found your cadence.

Back