Fireworks... (56k'ers beware!)

Name
Robyn
Edit My Images
No
Some more shots from Dartmouth Regatta, and alsom the first time I've ever managed to get fireworks shots to even begin to work! I did some reading on the theory beforehand and managed to actually put it into practise for a change!

8182Fireworks.jpg

8186Fireworks.jpg

8227Fireworks.jpg

8244Fireworks.jpg

8206Fireworks.jpg

8224Fireworks.jpg

All with the 30d & Kit lens.

Thanks for looking!

OK now you are just showing off ;)

*very good*!!

Best firework pictures I've seen in a long time.

Well I did some reading on how to take fireworks but mine didn't come out as good as those........well done Witch (y)

lovely stuff Witch, i might have a go at this myself this year, i dont normally go out in the cold!

LOL - no cold required for those Matty - it was definate shirtsleeves weather!

The display was set to music, which kind of helped with the shots because you got an idea from the music what might be coming next.....I set up manually - ISO160, f7.1, kit lens at the 18mm end, and bulb, and then just counted off up to about 6 seconds for each exposure, but varying depending on the fireworks that were going off.

Of course as I was going along I was seeing the images coming up on the screen (and listening to the chap next to me with his hand-held 350d going "clickclickclickclickclick" in bursts as each lot went up!!) and getting that sort of bubbly buzzy feeling you get when you KNOW a shoot is going well!:D . (I hope it's not just me who gets that - you'll be sending for those nice chappies in their pristine white coats!).

Next year though I shall be looking to set up somewhere that won't have strings of lights running through the top of the picture......had no choice this year sadly.

Thanks for all your comments - approval from you guys really means something! (y)

These are fab :clap: I've never attempted fireworks as I always seem to be working whenever there are any about, but I'd be really proud of these.

Fantastic pictures, they are really good. What is the theory or where can i read how to do it? Is it more to it than what you set the camera too?

Fantastic pictures, they are really good. What is the theory or where can i read how to do it? Is it more to it than what you set the camera too?

Manual focus to infinity, nice low ISO, reasonably small aperture (I tend to find myself at F/11 or so) and bulb mode. Release when the fireworks are going up (knowing about fireworks beforehand or going to loads of displays helps) and close when you think you have captured a good burst.

Take a look at the shots on the LCD preview to check things are going to plan and adjust accordingly :)

Cable release and a good steady tripod have to be the most important things though if you want crisp shots!

Ok, how do you manual focus to infinity?? and does the D50 have a bulb setting?

Thanks

If Nikon is the same as Canon then bulb will be at the longest end of your shutters speeds but will only be available when setting the camera in fully manual mode. I should have mentioned that I used a cable release as well - my tripod is only a cheapy but being in a fairly sheltered location it worked fine for me. I knew exactly where the fireworks in these were going to go off and was able to cheat by pre-focusing in exactly the right place before the light went. I'd hazard a guess that with bonfire night approaching one or more of the photography mags will have articles on the subject in the next few months.

The only slight problem I encountered was being quite cose to the display even the 18mm end of the kit lens wasn't quite wide enough for some of the bursts. Am now wanting to get my hands on a 10-20mm or similar before my next attempt! :D

It's funny - I was just think earlier I'm quite astonished by just how much I've learnt about shooting in low light over the past six months or so - a while ago just didn't have the vaguest idea where to start, now it's one of my favourite subjects!

Cool, I wasn't in full manual before! I have remote shutter and tripod so will just have to find some fireworks now! Thanks mate.

Really great images, bet you're very proud of these! (y)

I am actually! Made me determined to get out there on bonfire night and have another go too! :D

I've just had a quick browse though the general gallery and these are the best i've seen yet.. Great shots.

80321037_abd7d1d121_b.jpg

Now go and have fun - like you used a cable release and tripod and about 2sec exposures for each of the bursts. You can do a rough selection of a firework and copy then paste into a scene and use "lighten" for your new layer. This is aan image built up in this way on to the central firework lighting the tower of Ely Cathedral - all from my garden about two miles or so away.

Corkers there Witch.
I'm not too keen on number 3, I think it might look better cropped a little, but that and the rest, are still great shots, you should be proud. :)

WONDERFUL SHOTS. I took some firework shots this year and read up on it first....and they worked!! Its a lot easier than people think...but the results are stunning, well done.

Back