First atempt at close up.

Name
Pat
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out with Rockchef to try his new Macro lens (he'll no doubt post some of his pics later) and I tried my hand at some close up shots, here are some of my favourites.

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0005.jpg

DPP_0009.jpg

DPP_0021.jpg

DPP_0017.jpg

DPP_0014.jpg

As always critique welcome.

You can learn an important lesson from the first two photos you posted mate. The light was against you on both photos, casting a dull shadow over what you are actually focusing at. The sun was on the back of the subjects on both the shots. Without a flash, those would never be great shots sadly :(

The third and forth ones are far better though. The framing for me is pretty much spot on in the forth photo, yet I feel you should have moved back ever so slightly on the third to not crop petals of the flower out of the frame. Thats my personal preference though as I'm a bit of a framing whore!

As for the last two, personally not a fan of the subject in the 5th picture, however the background blur is quite eye pleasing. The last one is a nice sharp photo but I'm not a fan of the background in that one. Would have perhaps been framed better if you got lower down and found a position to shoot the dandelion, yet have more distance to the background, making your background blurring at that aperture more eye pleasing.

The learning curve of macro photography is insane but amazingly rewarding! Keep at it mate!

I don't really see these as macro? They're more just close-ups, was that the idea? (I just read you used a macro lens and I like to see it being used for it's namesake)

As close-ups they're okay but there isn't a lot of detail in them, whether they're blurred or out of focus I'm not sure. The second one was the most successful to me.

I'd try getting right in there myself ;]

Unfortunately most of them seem blurred to me on the important areas, apart from the last one.

Using a macro lens can be quite a steep learning curve.

It may sound odd but I'd recommend getting a cheap set of close up lenses from Ebay to fit your kit lens and use them for close ups.

You can get them in sets of +1, 2 ,4 and 10 dioptres and they just screw onto your kit lens like a filter.

With the +1 you can easily get good close ups and use the IS on your lens (if it has it)

this was taken with a 350D with +4 Dioptre close up lens on the 18-55mm kit lens.
11042.jpg

It's also a lot easier to hold the camera steady as the close up lenses weigh very little.

Thanks for the comments guys, er....they ain't macro shots as I don't have a macro lens, thats why I put "close up" in the title thread :)

Anyway, there is a lot to learn about macro/close up photography, but thats half the fun you know just getting out there and giving it a go. Oh and I'm already looking into getting some extension tubes because the subject matter is just fascinating.

once again thanks for the comments.

Sorry fella, I read it as you had gone out to try a friends macro lens. My fault.

I agree with getting out there and just shooting though. :]

I was maybe a little hard because I don't really find flowers all that inspiring most of the time. I think these work best when the background still has some detail and the main subject hasn't been completely pulled out of the surroundings. Pic 3 is the best for that. Pic2 still has the best colour though.

Sorry fella, I read it as you had gone out to try a friends macro lens. My fault.

I agree with getting out there and just shooting though. :]

I was maybe a little hard because I don't really find flowers all that inspiring most of the time. I think these work best when the background still has some detail and the main subject hasn't been completely pulled out of the surroundings. Pic 3 is the best for that. Pic2 still has the best colour though.

no offence taken mate. The reason why there is so many flower shots is about 200 yards from my mate's front door is some wonderfull Perthshire hedges and verges abundant with wild flowers, so we ain't going to let that oppertunity slip :)

Resubmiting some of the above photos as I've been informed by Rockchef that photobucket, to put it lightly makes an a**e of photos, so here's a couple from my flickr account.

I hope the difference is noticable.

DPP_0017 by Sweb71, on Flickr

DPP_0005 by Sweb71, on Flickr

DPP_0003 by Sweb71, on Flickr

Well, the difference is immediately apparent - the top 2 are much sharper (the 3rd isn't in the original set ;))

What a difference that makes. Still prefer the 2nd out of all of them.

:]

Thanks Rob, yeah I noticed the third dandelion was the wrong one...oops :)

Back