Beginner First attempt at a low key self portrait

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
So I had my first attempts at a low key self portrait today, wasn't as easy as I was hoping for as I only have the Hahnel combi TF that comes with 1 remote and receiver so I couldn't see both the camera and the off camera flash at the same time.. I got around this by using a low powered desk lamp and holding it as close to my side as I could without it being in shot.

1. Low Key Self Portrait 2.jpg by adamtudor88, on Flickr

2. Low Key Self Portrait 1.jpg by adamtudor88, on Flickr

What would be the easiest way to do this in the future? Buy an extra receiver for the remote?

C/C welcome as always :)

like those..except the white spot on the nose...easily dealt with (thwack!) only joking!
Im going to have a go at this, tho. Im considerably older and uglier that you
thanks for putting these up...well done

I actually didn't notice that. Looks like it's a bit of reflection from the light. I'll get it edited out later. Thanks for the feedback

Yeah the lamp just wasn't bright enough. Had to go down to 1/20 sec just to get what I have. I'll probably try again when I can sort using off camera flash or when I get a willing model haha.

You could have bumped the iso up to increase your shutter speed, converting to black and white would hide even quite excessive noise.

It's a good shot for a first attempt though. Flash and an umbrella will help with the hot spot if you don't want to fix it in post.

Yeah I guess I should have done really but was just trying to stick to the tutorials I had read which all said to try to keep the iso at 100. Hopefully next time will be much better with a flash rather than a lamp. Yeah unfortunately I don't own any modifiers yet as only just getting into this and have a wishlist as long as my arm but the other half seems to think there are more important things to spend money on rather than photography... Crazy I know..

Don't be afraid to experiment with the iso settings what ever the tutorials say, you'll learn much more by trying than blindly following instructions.

Yeah I should have really.

Here's a slightly edited version, hot spot on nose removed and a slight exposure increase to lighten it up. Still learning editing so not sure i have done the nose right but best i can do at the moment

Low Key Self Portrait 2.jpg by adamtudor88, on Flickr

Last edited:
although now there is a slight darker line to fix...

edit: think i sorted that now anyway

Last edited:
ah i think thats come up where i have increased exposure, wasnt there earlier... honest ;)

Yeah thats what i did with the background but i'v done so many little changes just from looking at it on here that I keep adding more issues to it haha

Back