First Attempt at Freestyle Motocross

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I saw the Bolddog Lings Freestyle Motocross Team on Saturday at the Wolverhampton and Black Country Show.

This is the first ever time I've shot motoscross or any sort of stunt display. I was reasonably happy with the results but someone has said that I could have got more motion into the wheels. I'm of the opinion that what makes these images so striking is the fact that they've come out pin sharp - so I'm not sure if I 100% agree there, but I would be interested to hear the views of others...

The first one made Explore too...

The Cliffhanger [EXPLORED] by Tom Cash, on Flickr

One Handed Heart Attack by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Back Heart Attack by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Rock Solid by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Bolddog Lings Freestyle Motocross Team by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Seat Grab Indy Air by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Tom.

They all look stunning to me Tom.:notworthy: Especially 4 & 5. I should tell the person who criticised them to show you any better ones they have taken or to go forth and multiply!:p
I have admired these tricks on tv for ages and the front wheel especially slows down no end as they are airborne for a long time so I would stick to getting them pin-sharp and forget about blurred spokes. You could always have a go in some fancy photolab at blurring them I suppose.

They are all, as you say, pin sharp but I feel they would have more reality with the wheels a bit blurred.

all nice shots and not the kindest of light by the look of it, looking at the exif data your shutter speeds where 1/4000 which is much faster than you needed, you would have still got the same crisp sharp shots at 1/1000-1/1250 and would have given you some motion blur to the tyres, would need to be even slower though to get blur in the spokes....

That said in that light prob wouldnt notice the tyre motion much anyway

Last edited:
Superb again. Nice BG.
Great shots, Iridium goggles look the part.
Thank you!

They all look stunning to me Tom.:notworthy: Especially 4 & 5. I should tell the person who criticised them to show you any better ones they have taken or to go forth and multiply!:p
I have admired these tricks on tv for ages and the front wheel especially slows down no end as they are airborne for a long time so I would stick to getting them pin-sharp and forget about blurred spokes. You could always have a go in some fancy photolab at blurring them I suppose.
Thanks Rob! In all honesty, I didn't even give wheel motion a thought... As for pic 5 - apparently, he had two vertebrae removed to do that!...

They are all, as you say, pin sharp but I feel they would have more reality with the wheels a bit blurred.
all nice shots and not the kindest of light by the look of it, looking at the exif data your shutter speeds where 1/4000 which is much faster than you needed, you would have still got the same crisp sharp shots at 1/1000-1/1250 and would have given you some motion blur to the tyres, would need to be even slower though to get blur in the spokes....

That said in that light prob wouldnt notice the tyre motion much anyway
I'm reasonably comfortable panning at sub-1/80 if needs be, but I honestly didn't even give it a thought.... Next time!!

Thanks for the feedback all!

You made the right choice to go fast rather than slow. No way would you have got a decent result with slow as its not just the wheels and the lateral movement in this - you could not pan this.

I've said numerous times, MX is more akin to football or athletics - its about the poise of the rider and not about trying to put some life into a car driving past you on a piece of tarmac.

You made the right choice to go fast rather than slow. No way would you have got a decent result with slow as its not just the wheels and the lateral movement in this - you could not pan this.

I've said numerous times, MX is more akin to football or athletics - its about the poise of the rider and not about trying to put some life into a car driving past you on a piece of tarmac.

Agree about the rider position but the bike takes up more of the frame than the rider. That's what makes each shiny, crystal-clear spoke so false,to my eyes.

I would say the same thing about wheelchair athletics, to use your analogy, Andy.

A wheel is a wheel is a wheel and usually they are turning:p

A wheel is a wheel is a wheel and usually they are turning:p
Equally, with that argument, we could say "a person is a person and they're usually moving" by which my whole picture would have been blurry lol.

On reflection, I am happy with my choice but next time I'll certainly give panning a go as I can see the benefits of both approach in this instance.

Back