First attempt at full moon

A nice moon shot...

The second looks better imo as it has more contrast etc and shows the surface that bit better. The first is a little... flat (for want of a better word)

There seems to be a slight halo around the moon in the second shot, possibly a result of the tone mapping?

The "moon guru`s" I`ve chatted with in the past say it`s best to under expose by a stop or two when shooting then use contrast/curves etc to bring it back up which helps to keep the detail on the surface and also darken the night sky a bit more.

The full moon is harder to capture than half moon`s etc because there`s so much more light on the surface it`s harder to keep the detail but youv`e got a good shot there.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks tjc.

Yeah I know the full moon is a lot harder to capture as it is so bright but this was a challenge I wanted as I want to try and capture all the different moon phases. I will try ti under expose by a stop or two next time and see if I can improve on it.

Yeah I did notice the halo but I liked the detail I had achieved so I thought I could live with it.

The halo doesn`t affect the shot, I only noticed it on the third or so view...

Be sure to post up the different phase shots, be good to see them.

Back