First attempt at horror

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Had this idea a few days ago so I thought I'd give it a go and see how it turns out. Personally I quite like it, yet I feel I need a wider angle lens (50mm is the lowest I can go atm!) and get closer to really get the most out of this sort of shot. With that in mind, let me know what you think!

Horror by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

is it an arm coming in from the right hand side of the frame, might look better if the hand was coming in through a slightly open door...........maybe.............just a thought

I agree it would look better, yet I currently haven't got a wide enough lens to really pull it off :( I know the exact flash settings I need now and placement of the camera etc, just need a wide lens.

Hi James.

I absolutely love this type of shot and I think you've got the concept and the processing style spot on.
Have to agree with the other comments about it being just too dark though. It took me a while to work out that it was a door, and if you hadn't said that it was a hand I'm not sure that I would have got what it was at all.

I think tweaking your settings to let just a little ambient light in might help with the definition.

Really looking forward to seeing where you take this idea though.

Thanks Sarah, I'll take it back to the proverbial drawing board and see what I can muster. I really need to get round to buying a second off camera flash as it would make this a vastly easier and even more moody shot to produce, however funds are limiting me at the moment so I'll have to make do. You might be onto something though in terms of ambient light as I could use a reflector to illuminate the hand and the door handle to draw the eye more.

We'll see and thanks for all the comments so far, more than useful!

I agree with Sarah, I like this kind of photography.

Main issue for me is how the hand, which I saw straight away (y), is trying to open the door, looks a bit strange. Not sure anybody/thing would open a door this way :thinking:

I'd bee looking at different perspective.

Cheers.

I agree with Sarah, I like this kind of photography.

Main issue for me is how the hand, which I saw straight away (y), is trying to open the door, looks a bit strange. Not sure anybody/thing would open a door this way :thinking:

I'd bee looking at different perspective.

Cheers.

Ive kept coming back to this shot since yesterday, only now do, see the hand when you said (trying to open the door, looks a bit strange)

agree it needs a little more thought on the lighting

Whilst waiting on the funds for a second flash to be able to refine the image, I've done some low key portraits which follow my theme quite nicely. Got a few different samples as I'm not sure how far to push the processing so please tell me what you think!

Most edited:

Grudge Style by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

This one is by far the most complex editing, plus its the most abstract.

Original:

Grudge by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

Quite like the simplicity of this one, yet like the "punch" of the other. Its a nightmare (pardon the pun!) to try and combine the styles though sadly!

Looking at getting some studio lighting for product shots but it'll lend itself to these ideas really nicely so I'm gonna refine the ideas I have upon getting better gear. I agree on trying to give the eye more definition, but its bloody hard to do when using such settings (plus VERY little flash experience, making it up as I go along = learning experience lol)

took me a while to suss out the first one but I got there in the end and think its great(y)

As for the second and the third I think maybe somewhere in-between would give and hold its mystery without revealing......!

I'm sorry but for me these are not working I can see what you were going for there just too dark for me to the point that it is very hard to make out what on earth is going on in them :(

Matt
MWHCVT

I'm sorry but for me these are not working I can see what you were going for there just too dark for me to the point that it is very hard to make out what on earth is going on in them :(

Matt
MWHCVT

No worries mate :)

I've been meaning to get back to doing some more of these but just started a 4 week placement which has made me far too busy sadly :(

Back