First attempt at light trails - Police turfed me off.

Tom was perfectly within his rights to take photographs on a public bridge.
Irrespective of any vandals that have been there in the past.
When the officers attended the scene they should have reported that there was no incident after confirming who he is and let him be.
They would have requested that he leave but he had no legal obligation to leave that bridge.

Stating that he would have been putting people in a state of alarm and distress is false. Alarm and distress can only request that you stop but you do not legally have to.

Using flash guns and causing an actual physical distraction to motorists is a completely different thing, but standing on a bridge taking photographs is perfectly legal.

Yes it is good that they turned up and checked, but after checking that should have been the end of it. Maybe a hi-vis vest would be a good addition in the future.

Yellowbelly said:
Aren't we missing the point of this thread? I don't think anyone has an objection to the police making checks, but I certainly have an objection to them trying to prevent me from performing a perfectly legal activity.

I think the point of this thread was the photo. Matt on here recommended to me f22 and 90 seconds. Works a treat you need longer exposures at smaller apertures even better if you have an ND or polariser to reduce light further and increase the shutter time. They will come out slightly more exposed than you want but decrease the exposure in post or increase the blacks your after the streaking lights anyway and they won't be affected.

pablo_paul said:
I think the point of this thread was the photo. Matt on here recommended to me f22 and 90 seconds. Works a treat you need longer exposures at smaller apertures even better if you have an ND or polariser to reduce light further and increase the shutter time. They will come out slightly more exposed than you want but decrease the exposure in post or increase the blacks your after the streaking lights anyway and they won't be affected.

Cheers mate, I'll look at getting a remote timer and a ND filter! Saves having the laptop with me using eos utility.

Yellow belly, agreed.

I'm not bothered that they turned up, it's the fact that I couldn't stay and get a bloody decent photo!

Having not had the luxury of being that I cannot of course say for certain what has gone on, having done over a thousand light trails of different types I've had my fair share of encounters with the police and all of those have ended we me continuing to take light trails after they have left, I've never had to give any personal details to them, I've even let one nice WPC have a play with my camera and do a couple of light trails (y)

Having thoroughly read this thread I'm shocked at the attitude of some of the posters in relation to what they have posted in this thread, it's been inflammatory to say the least :shake: you know who you are that have said it, and maybe you ought to reconsider your stance as you may well find yourselves getting into trouble with the law...

To the OP in all honestly it was not the best move to go and do light trails from the very bridge involved very recently in act's of complete moronic behavior, and I suspect that the police would have received a number of calls about you, hence the reason for arriving in force, and can also understand that they asked you to move on, I suspect that had they have allowed you to stay in that location you would have caused for a number of additional calls to be made about your presence..

If you would like to post the basic exif for each photo, I will be happy to give some advise on how these could be improved (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

If due to the history of what has happened at this and maybe other bridges has led to motorists being 'twitchy' at seeing people appearing to be loitering on motorway bridges then it is perfectly reasonable to view them as being a danger to passing motorists.
It is simply a case of using common sense and acting in a way that shows respect and concern for other members of the public.
Of course those who are anti-police would take a different view.

Agreed,it was better to be safe than sorry.

I'd be surprised if a motorist did see you given what looks like dark conditions and your position as you describe. Only reason I can think of for the police to legitimately move you on from *a* bridge is if it forms part of the motorway rather than a road that passes over the motorway. Can see that doesn't apply here though.

Go to a pedestrian footbridge next time, you'll become much less of a target as the distance from the warm police car increases :LOL:

Remote timer/ cable release: yes. Gives you the chance to trigger the camera without touching it whilst also enabling the use of longer exposure times.

ND filter: avoid mixing with light trails. You'll likely get all kinds of nasty glare and flare. I suspect Matt has been misinterpreted or misquoted here because that doesn't sound like his advice.

ND filter: avoid mixing with light trails. You'll likely get all kinds of nasty glare and flare. I suspect Matt has been misinterpreted or misquoted here because that doesn't sound like his advice.

I have been know to make use of a Grad ND8, what I should make clear is that I only used them occasionally, and it's important to make sure they are spotless, as the slightest dirt will cause terrible flare a single ND grad never causes me issues with flare to the point that it's not worth using, I would not suggest using one where the light will enter the filter a rather flat angle as this will cause massive flare issues :D

But I will avoid them where ever I can (y)

i am a police officer and if i got called to a job of this nature i certainly would not have moved the person on...theres no need??

Last edited:
MWHCVT said:
Having not had the luxury of being that I cannot of course say for certain what has gone on, having done over a thousand light trails of different types I've had my fair share of encounters with the police and all of those have ended we me continuing to take light trails after they have left, I've never had to give any personal details to them, I've even let one nice WPC have a play with my camera and do a couple of light trails (y)

Having thoroughly read this thread I'm shocked at the attitude of some of the posters in relation to what they have posted in this thread, it's been inflammatory to say the least :shake: you know who you are that have said it, and maybe you ought to reconsider your stance as you may well find yourselves getting into trouble with the law...

To the OP in all honestly it was not the best move to go and do light trails from the very bridge involved very recently in act's of complete moronic behavior, and I suspect that the police would have received a number of calls about you, hence the reason for arriving in force, and can also understand that they asked you to move on, I suspect that had they have allowed you to stay in that location you would have caused for a number of additional calls to be made about your presence..

If you would like to post the basic exif for each photo, I will be happy to give some advise on how these could be improved (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I have read this thread with great interest but being a Police Officer myself I have had to resist the temptation to respond as people seem to get a kick out of putting us down and complaining about us (until they need us of course).

Matthew's post is one of the most sensible ones I've ever read on this forum and coupled with comments from FITP give me a little bit of hope that at least some people appreciate what we do.

It's very easy for people who weren't there to jump on the band wagon and get stuck in to abusing decisions that Police make. It's very clear to see that the OP meant no harm whatsoever but I'm pretty damn sure if he was up to no good (let's remember the history of that very spot) and we didn't react to calls from the public we'd be criticised even more.

Nobody was there except the OP and the Police who are not in a position to defend themselves or the decision they made. But hey - judge all you like - we'll still come help you when you need us! It's what we do!

downs523 said:
i am a police officer and if i got called to a job of this nature i certainly would not have moved the person on...theres no need??

Hi Chris,

Despite my rant above, all things being as the OP says I wouldn't have moved him on either. But as I say, I wasn't there so who knows. All the best mate :)

Good point Matt, that's the only location I could get to last night, shame but it happens I guess.

I'll post the exif up in a tick. Thanks!

Aren't we missing the point of this thread? I don't think anyone has an objection to the police making checks, but I certainly have an objection to them trying to prevent me from performing a perfectly legal activity.

Agreed!

I do have to wonder wether the OP would have simply been questioned and left to continue his harmless activity had he been older (for example in his 40s) and considered a "mature adult".

Often younger adults are "pulled up" whilst so called "more mature adults" continue with the same behaviours/activities without any intervention!

Asha said:
Agreed!

I do have to wonder wether the OP would have simply been questioned and left to continue his harmless activity had he been older (for example in his 40s) and considered a "mature adult".

Often younger adults are "pulled up" whilst so called "more mature adults" continue with the same behaviours/activities without any intervention!

Agreed, I've seen so many times younger people being "intimidated" by the police (I use intimidated very lightly as I couldn't think of another way to describe it) where an adult in a very similar situation being left to it........ I think age does play a huge part in this

The exposure was around 15 seconds as it wasn't that busy, f/11 i think too..

I think the exposure is a little too long. Don't forget that if you've light traffic then you time the shot to get in what you want and if needed stack the shots later to get the light trails as you want them.

Another good tip is to use a laptop with the Canon Eos utility (or lightroom capture mode). That way you can take shots from the warmth of your car ;)

Byker28i said:
I think the exposure is a little too long. Don't forget that if you've light traffic then you time the shot to get in what you want and if needed stack the shots later to get the light trails as you want them.

Another good tip is to use a laptop with the Canon Eos utility (or lightroom capture mode). That way you can take shots from the warmth of your car ;)

I think so too, just as I got sent on my way I was getting the hang of it, smaller aperture at around f/13 was working better.

True true, will give it a shot next time!

Matt
MWHCVT

:agree:

Apart from the giving advice bit.....cos I know nothing about light trails!! LOL!

downs523 said:

Shame your colleagues aren't as up to speed as yourself.

I am going to be heading out soon to do some traffic trails myself, is there any mileage in wearing a high viz waste coat, might look less suspicious and putting a courtesy call in to the local nick, just to let them know what you're doing as where?

If I saw someone on a bridge in a high vis with something tripod like I would think highways agency or something similar instead of jumping to the conclusion that anyone on a bridge must be contemplating something dodgy and calling the old bill!

I always were a hi-viz for light trails. Both to reduce the risk of a police call out and for my own safety given there might be passing vehicles on the bridge.
I find it hard to believe anyone up to no good would try to draw attention to themselves. You do get horns blown at you from time to time though. I think this relates to people thinking you have a speed camera..... not sure why sounding the horn makes any difference, but it's what some people do!

I always were a hi-viz for light trails. Both to reduce the risk of a police call out and for my own safety given there might be passing vehicles on the bridge.

Seems an eminently sensible idea.

Back