First attempt at shooting a gig!

Edit My Images
Yes
Got asked to have a shot at taking some photos by a group called You Remind Me Of Rasputin! Through myspace suprisingly enough, dont think i did too bad for my first attempt, just a bit miffed with the noise levels. It should be expected though, ISO3200 all the way! The lighting was the worst lighting i've ever seen at a gig, ever. It was at the Retro Bar in Manchester if anyone is interested.

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

Don't you just hate red and green lights?? :bang:

I should think the band will be happy with these......well done and on my screen they don't look too noisy at all. I'd be tempted to "loose" a few of the skin blemishes......not all, just the worst ones.....but other than that, I'd say you should be pleased with your efforts. I particularly like the slanted/angled shots.:clap: :clap:

They look great to me! If you have used noise reduction software I'd say you got it about right - if not what are you worrying about ? :)

btw 1 pic is duplicated in the first set.

I think you've done a great job on these, particularly as it's your first attempt. I really like the mono shots - very low key and very moody... my kind of shot ;)

Some crackers there (y) - What were you using lens-wise? It looks like you were on stage with them in some shots!
Paul ;)

Some great shot there, and I agree with RobertP, I wouldn't worry about those noise levels, you look like you've got it about right to me!

What settings were you using for these? I'm off to a gig next week in Stoke, and I am thinking about taking the camera for the first time...

Gig photography is a difficult thing, in my experience. It helps if you're in a venue you know, and where you know the promoters, you can get better access for photography. The other common problem is that you tend to end up shooting a lot of live bands from below, which is never very flattering. Also, drummers are a real pain, cause they're often hard to see - there's a venue in Preston where I've taken to going behind the stage and shooting the drummer up through the drumkit.

Some great shot there, and I agree with RobertP, I wouldn't worry about those noise levels, you look like you've got it about right to me!

What settings were you using for these? I'm off to a gig next week in Stoke, and I am thinking about taking the camera for the first time...

Wouldn't be the Sugermill by any chance? If it is, the lights were pretty good last time I was there, and there is a balcony, so you should get brill shots from above for a change, instead of straight up their nostrils!!:D

Wouldn't be the Sugermill by any chance? If it is, the lights were pretty good last time I was there, and there is a balcony, so you should get brill shots from above for a change, instead of straight up their nostrils!!:D

Yes indeed!
I've been there loads of times, but never with a camera, so I've not really paid attention to where the good places to stand are.
I might have a word with the promoters, see if I can get to stand somewhere I'm not being buffeted by other people.
Should be a good gig to practice at, the Turin Brakes don't move much, hehe.

Back