First attempt at street photography

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is in the right place but I'm posting from holiday so it's all a bit rushed and... erm... foreign!

I've had my first stab at street photography - I've never really felt comfortable before but being a tourist means you're allowed to stand around with a camera taking pics :) It was also a street market in the nearest larger town so a good excuse to give it a whirl.

I'm after some feedback as there should be more opportunities for these sorts of photos before I leave so any suggestions for improvement would be most welcome... Bear in mind I've only been taking photos since the start of the year (well, give or take and excluding "snaps" previously) so my standard of photography isn't exactly stellar yet. Which is why I need you all to help!

I've processed a few into the stereotypical B&W but I do find it suits them. Some are colour though, when I thought that made more sense.

Thanks in advance (apologies for the number - there are yet more on my flickr!):

3: Le kebab traditionnel
Briquebec 3 by Paul, on Flickr

6: Tomates
Briquebec 6 by Paul, on Flickr

7: Les honneurs
Briquebec 7 by Paul, on Flickr

8: Calvados
Briquebec 8 by Paul, on Flickr

9: Haberdasher
Briquebec 9 by Paul, on Flickr

11: Les chaussures
Briquebec 11 by Paul, on Flickr

13: Cotton
Briquebec 13 by Paul, on Flickr

17: Boulangerie
Briquebec 17 by Paul, on Flickr

Edited to add: sorry for original misuse of critique tag and number of images (>6)... I had forgotten that rule when posting. I'm keen to have thoughts, critique etc. or even just "don't like #9) comments! Constructive critique most definitely welcome if you have time - pretend the tag is still there!

My own comments for further background/perusal:

3: Le kebab traditionnel - I really struggled with the distortion (even just at 18mm) here and can't seem to get the horizontals horizontal throughout the scene from top to bottom... Back to the image, the juxtaposition made me smile but not sure if that's come through enough in the photo?

6: Tomates
Loved the colours and variety but it may lose some context with the tighter crop?

7: Les honneurs
Again, struggling with verticals this time - but the proud statements from the board contrasted pretty starkly with the state of disrepair of his building away from the entrance.

8: Calvados
A real character and apart from cropping tighter (losing the top 25% perhaps) not sure what else I could/should have done here?

9: Haberdasher
The one I'm probably least fussed by because the vibrancy of the scene in real life doesn't really pop as much as I'd hoped... PP-fixable perhaps (when I have a proper monitor in front of me!)

11: Les chaussures
I liked the range of tones and sweep of the stall but maybe that's not enough?

13: Cotton
My favourite even though very simple - definitely keen to know what I could have improved here (was limited in terms of going with a wider aperture because of the cheap kit zoom I had with me)

17: Boulangerie
I also like the tones on this one but not sure the composition works?

Last edited:
I'm not a very good Street photographer, though I do like to do it, so I cant really crit on technicals, other than I would like to see more forward facing people. It will become easier as you gain confidence in taking photographs of strangers so keep on doing them, you're going in the right direction. :)

Thanks Carl although you're being very generous by suggesting I have more forward facing people... some forward facing people would an accurate if pointed observation!!! ;)

I guess I was trying to slither out by using the literal meaning of "street photography" - i.e. photos of the streets!

I'm also no street photographer but like these. Struggling a bit with no.8 as my eye doesn't know where to go. Could have benefitted from a bit more separation between the people and the background perhaps. A composition thing but at this stage maybe a brush on the people (in Lightroom) and raising the exposure to lift them out might help? Or a radial filter and darkening the background. Would be interested to see this in colour too....

Back