Beginner First attempt at water droplets

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi This is my first attempt at water drop photography I must admit I missed more than I captured any comments welcome. They are completely unedited as I don’t have a computer or photoshop at the moment just a laptop. Not sure what I would do to them other than possibly clone out some of the splash marks imperfections in the water. I do have a few more but I’m not sure how to upload multiple imiges?

8930532C-4BEF-4BE6-82EB-51FCF3C5FE64 by Marc Freullet, on Flickr

First of all I would change the numbering system to something simpler - water droplets 1 etc.

Apart from that I like the one you have displayed.

The thing about water droplets I particularly like is that they are all different.:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/albums/72157625137872065

All the photos there were taken with a 450D with a Canon 70-300mm lens on a tripod and 3 flashguns.

I just waited until I thought the drops would hit the water and then triggered the camera - no electronics needed.

BTW there are plenty of FREE editing programs on the 'net - just Google them.

Hi & thank you for your comments by numbering system do you mean re labelling in Flickr somehow?
I used a Nikon D90 18-105 lens just 1 off camera flash with white background I set the white balence to light bulb for the blue cast. I’m a complete novice so I’m still getting to grips with all the settings in the camera. in manual I just set the shutter speed to 1/200 fastest it would go with the flash & fiddled around with ISO & apature untll the exposure looked correct on The histogram. The suggested exposure setting in the camera was quite a bit over exposed. I’m not even sure if that is the correct approach? I just fired the camera when I thought the time was right. Which it wasn’t for quite q few shots.
More experiments required with different liquids background & lighting.
Im trying to work out how to capture a collision of a second drop as it hits the first as it rises, any ideas?

Trying to get a collision usually involves a photoelectric cell to start a timer as the drop breaks a beam and fire the flash.

You then have to alter the timer so that you hope to catch a collision.

Check this You Tube video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zUA7DUQl_c

You need to experiment quite a bit to get the exposure right as you've found.

And don't worry about a lot going wrong - I find that I usually bin at least 50% of the shots I take!

You can easily edit the entries in Flickr, just mouse over the title and click on the little box that appears in the right hand corner - you can then alter the title if you want.

It's also a good idea to add tags then people can find your pics.

When I tried this it was just trial and error as you have done. I used food colouring in the water to give another dimension. Its also fun to take oil and water photographs which can produce some "interesting" results. I'm no expert but its good to do when the weather outside is terrible.
DSC_0156 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
oilwater_6 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

Back