First attempt, black dog and snow

Edit My Images
Yes
Please be gentle. Never done this before. :)

Daisy, always a willing model:

daisy-in-snow-2.jpg

daisy-in-snow.jpg

Thanks for looking.:clap:

Lisa

The second one is spot on, a cracking portrait.

:clap:

I am envious :D lovely shots did you use a flash?

Hi

I was reading some of the posts on here and got some tips, was it you who started the thread? Black dog??

Anyway, I think it was Keriak (sp) who suggested using flash.

Yes I did use a flashgun and underexposed all the shots (ISO 100). It was hit and miss really but good practice because as I say, I've never shot the dogs in the snow before.

Lisa x

Yes that was my post and I am still struggling having lost out on 2 flash deals because I could not get to the bank to get the money out.

I will keep trying though I will not be beaten (unless the snow thaws LOL)

Think it is going to have to be a Jessops flash as I need to get one fast:(

Out of interest what flash do you have?

Very well balanced shots with the flash and snow. Very nice the 2nd one is.:clap:

Yes that was my post and I am still struggling having lost out on 2 flash deals because I could not get to the bank to get the money out.

I will keep trying though I will not be beaten (unless the snow thaws LOL)

Think it is going to have to be a Jessops flash as I need to get one fast:(

Out of interest what flash do you have?

I've got a sigma 530 dg st. Until you get your gun, couldn't you just use the onboard flash?

Just keep practising. I was determined to get on 'keeper' today.

Lisa x

Onboard flash not quite enough as used it.

Still will keep practising that is what we are all here for and none of us are perfect :shrug:

#2 is great, #1....I'm not so sure...maybe the white balance is a tiny bit off? I dunno, but #2 is fantabulous (y)

thanks, yes I agree with you, I think the w/b might be a bit off in the first one.

Lisa

Hi

I think the detail in the face in the first one is better but I think its slightly out of focus. Also, the fencing to the left detracts from the dog.

The second looks a bit sharper but the dog is too central in the frame and the snow is blue.

Don't forget to take the dogs collar off in futre (if it's safe to do so). Also, get down to the dogs level (even if it means kneeling in the snow LOL!!). As the first one looks like you've shot down on it.

There's some tips here on how to bring the snow back to the right colour etc:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=192481

Lisa

Last edited:
:(:shake: Will I ever get this right and improve, just depressing myself also reading the thread about what everyone got for xmas and makes my little 450 looks nothing compared with what everyone else has and what they had for xmas.

I got nothing camera related as no one asked and I dropped enough hints.:crying: :bang:

:(:shake: Will I ever get this right and improve, just depressing myself also reading the thread about what everyone got for xmas and makes my little 450 looks nothing compared with what everyone else has and what they had for xmas.

I got nothing camera related as no one asked and I dropped enough hints.:crying: :bang:

well save up and get your own equipment, like a lot of us have to do :D

Hey, come on, don't get disheartened. We all have to start somewhere.:) There's a lot of people on here who have been doing photography for years, and some to whom it seems to just come natural. I'm crap, you should see some of my shots. It all takes time. I started with a 400d and the kit lens and it went on from there. The first lens I bought was a Sigma 70-300 and to be honest, it wasn't a bad lens at all. I got my flashgun for my birthday even though I want a Canon 580 - but we're just having the bathroom done at the moment so I am not allowed to buy anymore kit at the mo (although I have ordered a remote radio controlled thingy bob, shutter release) so I'll have to smuggle that in.

I've seen some cracking shots taken with your camera model and the basic lens. So kit doesn't always maketh the shot. I've also seen some very good examples of photos with kit taken with exactly the same set up as I have got and the other persons shots were far superior to mine.

Keep practising. When I started, I used to shoot my dogs in sports mode and they were rubbish, I realised I needed to really read up etc to get out of auto and sports mode and I have taken thousands and thousands of shots of them.

Last year, I met up with a photographer whose area is photographing working dogs. He's got whippets and labs. At the start of the day, I couldn't get any keepers of his whippets, god, they can move, but after a few hours and some tips off him, it all came together.

I have to say, I think this is one of the best sites for information etc. I thought that thread how to adjust for snow was very informative.

Lisa xxx:)

well save up and get your own equipment, like a lot of us have to do :D

Nice comment Robyn Thank you for the encouragement:thumbsdown:

Crazy horse,

These were shot in manual mode as I try to get out of the habit of auto mode as I don't want to rely on it.

I have also tried to ask for help but everyone around here seems to be a bit guarded and does not want to help so having to rely on books to teach myself.

As you say practise is the key and ask questions however simple they may be.

Last edited:
Crazyhorse - that second shot is great - and yes, it was me who suggested using flash for black dogs in the snow - I discovered this with my Dobes.

Briony - your first shot is very nearly there, my main criticism would be that you have focused on the nose leather instead of the eye, just that couple of inches will make a tremendous difference.

Thanks Kerioak, I wouldn't have got that second shot if I hadn't read that you used a flash. Thanks for that.

Briony I've just been reading your black dog thread again. I think people have given you some good advice. When I started out, someone once said to me, practice on one type of photography at a time, rather than try to do all types of photography at once. You'll get frustrated.for me, it was canine photography so that's what I focussed on.

I've looked at some of your shots and you are nearly there as Kerioak says. I've found it's all about practice and trial and error and this site has been the most helpful site I've come across. If you need help with post processing (like I do), threre's loads of stuff on Youtube.

Lisa xxx

Yes I am very interested in canine and wildlife in general to start with, well for someone who shoots, hunts etc and also lives on a farm it would be rude not to :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just practise I suppose and putting shots up here for crit.

I will have to go and get a flash gun and also get my eyes tested :LOL::LOL:
so I can see soft.

Thanks for the advice and I think my 2010 52 will mostly have to be wild life, dogs etc to start with to give me the practise I so desperatley need.:(

Back