first attempt - suggestions please!

Name
Maria
Edit My Images
Yes
a friend has a Harley Davidson and he asked if I'd take a few pics....

I've no experience about getting a good shot with anything like this, so picked a location I liked (forced him to push it up a huge hill to get there :LOL: good job he's a fireman :D)

Your suggestions how to improve what I've got are very welcome - I've just done a contrast/greyscale conversion in lightroom, and there's a couple more on my Flickr

thanks for looking

210bw-1.jpg

My suggestion would be not to shoot directly into the sun when it's that bright........

1) nukes part of the pic
2) get weird reflections - inside of exhaust on back wheel and tyre etc..........

might look better with the sun 3/4 over shoulder (so behind but not to the extent your shadow is in the pics)- would pick up a lot more detail in the bike that way............

looks to be an interesting seat / back end - maybe a slightly higher angle / different angle would show that off better............

think with better lighting could also really push the contrast loads to get some really shiny metal and deep dark crisp blacks.........

Last edited:
That's a very interesting Harley! It's got a suspended seat, upward slashed pipes, white wall tyres and a kick start that poor Lynton really does not wish to contemplate in his current state (It will kick back and break your leg if you are not quick!)

I'd have a chat with your mate about some of the unique features of this bike and shoot to make the most of them. He will appreciate it :)

My suggestion would be not to shoot directly into the sun when it's that bright........

1) nukes part of the pic
2) get weird reflections - inside of exhaust on back wheel and tyre etc..........

might look better with the sun 3/4 over shoulder (so behind but not to the extent your shadow is in the pics)- would pick up a lot more detail in the bike that way............

looks to be an interesting seat / back end - maybe a slightly higher angle / different angle would show that off better............

think with better lighting could also really push the contrast loads to get some really shiny metal and deep dark crisp blacks.........

thanks Lynton, I took about 50 shots, but I just liked this one best - I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't get the shiney bits to 'ping' so to speak! :LOL: I'llhave a trawl through to see if I've got any better ones (y) (there's a couple more on my flickr)

That's a very interesting Harley! It's got a suspended seat, upward slashed pipes, white wall tyres and a kick start that poor Lynton really does not wish to contemplate in his current state (It will kick back and break your leg if you are not quick!)

I'd have a chat with your mate about some of the unique features of this bike and shoot to make the most of them. He will appreciate it :)

Thanks Ali - yes, he mentioned it had a few interesting features - it has a gearknob (on t'other side) and a special clutch plate (and I'm just quoting him as I have no idea with bikes :shrug:)

Does this mean I'll have to get 'Harley' lessons?????? ;)

Does this mean I'll have to get 'Harley' lessons?????? ;)

Nah! You're a female of the species and none of it will sink in! You'll just keep saying 'yeh' 'oh' 'I see' 'mmmm' :D

Yeh! But why are you driving it in a field? Not allowed on the road? :naughty:

B M W (barking mad woman)

Bike needs to be sharp to work, so does the BMW ......Now back to the original post,

This would work if the bike was in focus and a little bit of contrast added, but clone the reflection off the back wheel as said before and you have a decent shot.........the out of focus BMW pic in this thread doesnt help at all

thank you, I'll go try again :)

are there any suggestions for a better background?

thanks

Last edited:
The shots on your Flickr work better than this image, I like the concept and angle, but the dominant element in this image is the sun (when it should have been the bike)

Have you considered using fill flash , if used on this kind of image I think it would have worked?

Just now had a look at the other pics on your flickr............

That is one different Harley! (y):LOL:

I think the background works well on the original one, just need to get the bike in mega sharp focus......... and lose some of the dominance of the sun........

When you convert it to B&W you can really push the contrast etc to get deep shiny blacks and really cool highlights........in the chrome.......

An example of one I took - which yes i know has the fault of me in the reflections!!!!

harley.jpg

Back