First Attempt With Flash

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
This is my first attempt at Macro/Close Up using flash and I know it's far from perfect and I realize there is a long long way to go as yet, still it's a start.

As you can see it's of the underside of a Spider on a webb, I couldn't shoot it from the top side as this would have meant knocking a fence down to do so.

I made up a flash extender on the lines of the one Carl made out of a Pringles tube, except I made this one out of an empty Talcum Powder container (£1.00 in Asda). I cut the tapered top end to fit my speedlight head with the diffuser in place, and then cut the other end at the bottom and both sides so the base of the container hinged upwards at the top. I then cut the main body of the container from the top just behind the hinged part back at about 45 degrees at the sides to the bottom and across the bottom. This leaves an angled down aperture which I covered with kitchen towel, I also covered the hinged part with kitchen towel and when this is pulled up forms an added bounce reflector at the top. I then covered the outside of the container with black electrical tape. This is then used in exactly the same way as the one that Carl has made with the speedlight mounted on the hot shoe.

There'll almost certainly be a Mk II & possibly a Mk III version in the near future. Sorry if any of this bores you guys but this side of photography is totally new to me and I'm buzzing with it.

Thanks for looking., George.

Spider On Web (1)-1315 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Hahaha glad your buzzing with it George, Yes it is addictive, did you post your flash setup in the "show us you Macro rig" section ?
Anyway Im sure even you can see there is a marked improvement in your shots with a flash, I know it has helped/improved mine.
I/we cant wait to see more of your shots.
I just noticed it has lost a leg.

Hahaha glad your buzzing with it George, Yes it is addictive, did you post your flash setup in the "show us you Macro rig" section ?
Anyway Im sure even you can see there is a marked improvement in your shots with a flash, I know it has helped/improved mine.
I/we cant wait to see more of your shots.
I just noticed it has lost a leg.

Thank you kindly for your comments Graham,(y) Don't expect anything special from me for a long time yet though as I've only just started in the last two weeks trying macro/close up. If anybody's interested I'll get a shot done and posted ASAP of the system I'm using although it will almost certainly change quite frequently.

I didn't even notice the spider had a leg missing and I don't have a clue what sort of spider it is.

I've been out and bought a mini encyclopedia on bugs and things to give me some sort of idea what I'm taking pictures of, and yes my knowledge of this part of photography etc is nill. Fortunately I'm no beginner to photography though just to the macro/close up part of it so hopefully I can get to grips with it reasonably quickly.

George.

This is an orb weaver if you couldn't ID.

I would be interested on your take of the pringle/TALC diffuser.

I dont think you will have any issues getting to grip from other stuff the composition has been great and focus al la and all that Jazz.

This one is a little too centrally composed but its about the flash looks like a tad more diffusion is required as it is running hot in a few places.

This is an orb weaver if you couldn't ID.

I would be interested on your take of the pringle/TALC diffuser.

I dont think you will have any issues getting to grip from other stuff the composition has been great and focus al la and all that Jazz.

This one is a little too centrally composed but its about the flash looks like a tad more diffusion is required as it is running hot in a few places.

Many thanks for those comments Bryn, I really do appreciate your help.(y)

I've managed to get my hands on some packing material that they wrap around new electrical appliances so I'll give that a go to see if I can increase the diffusion with it. I'll also try and get some shots done of my set up and posted tomorrow.

George.

I wonder if you also used some sharpening in processing because it seems a tad teased to sharpness? Might just be me?

Paul.

Yes I did Paul, I'm still getting to know how much I can push things with this type of photography in Lightroom & Photoshop. This shot was done on a Fuji X-T1 and I applied approximately the same sharpening settings that I do for shots on my D800. They obviously don't need as much, maybe it's because there is no anti aliasing screen in the Fuji camera but I guess with some more experimenting I'll eventually get it right.

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated.(y)

George.

Good stuff George and I'm sure you'll be posting plenty more stunners in the very near future. Hope you enjoy exploring the wonderful world of bugs :)

Good stuff George and I'm sure you'll be posting plenty more stunners in the very near future. Hope you enjoy exploring the wonderful world of bugs :)

Thanks Tim, Much appreciated comments.(y)

George.

Excellent :)

I don't generally go in for this sort of thing usually but you have done a great job, well done.

Many thanks for your comments Tim, much appreciated.(y)

You should give it a go as I find it's very addictive and is a good challenge and the people on this part of the forum are very helpful and encouraging.

George.

Back