Beginner First baby shoot!

Name
Sammy
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I had a go at photographing two of my wife's friend's babies. OMG it is harder than the pro's make it look haha.

Got quite a few I am happy with and edited two of my favourites to share...

Baby shoot today! by Sammy Donaldson, on Flickr

Baby Hamish by Sammy Donaldson, on Flickr

Baby Freya by Sammy Donaldson, on Flickr

It became quickly apparent that my backdrop was not big enough so going to change that and try again soon :D

Sammy

The first is overexposed and the second… well, you know!
I dig the idea with the "H" and the sleeping thing that woke
up in a jolly mood it seems! …waiting for take 2!

Excellent shots bet the parents love them, as for the over exposed yes ever so slightly on the upper right however only from a technical point of view, I don't think it takes anything away from the shot.

Second one is a great capture

These look great to me. The pros certainly make it look a lot simpler than it is. Looks like you've painted over the background blanket in the first? It's a little bit patchy in places (bottom right). I'd be tempted to clean it up totally, though I can see why you've left the shadow in. May be easier to clean up first, then add a shadow back in?

Last edited:
Qutie decent shots indeed, the processing on the 2nd is a bit harsh for my taste it looks a bit over-sharpened on my monitor rather than soft especially on the skin

I think you have done well with these shots, as already said, just a little overexposed, I like the one with the H, the second is a real cute moment. I tried with my nephew, it's really hard, but keep going, look forward to seeing more from you.

No 1 does look a tad bright.

If you used a longer focal length lens, then stood further away, you might be able to get away with the smaller backdrop.

I personally wouldn't chose to photograph newborns with strobes, the flash is a bit startling and besides, they aren't moving much, you're not really needing to freeze the action. (Bouncy toddlers in a studio on the other hand... fair game)

Back