Critique First Damsel :)

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit excited by this one. I managed to grab half an hour this evening to go back to the site where I found the harvester ants. I was hoping to capture maybe a wasp/ant confrontation, but I was a little late for the wasps I think. Most had gone to bed. The ants were still about of course and I discovered a different species which I haven't ID'd yet, but I'll post them as soon as I have sorted out the good ones. Anyway, as the light was fading (and it was beginning to rain) this lovely little damselfly showed up. I think it will be a female, but I'm not sure on the species yet (I bet Robin will be able to tell me when he sees this). Anyway, she wasn't up for a close up. I think she was preparing for bed, and had I more time I probably could have waited until she had settled, but as I was the "wrong side" of the river it was time to head off.

I swapped in my 55-250 EF-S and I was quickly reminded of it's limitations (I have the first model I think, not the mark III which Nick uses). auto-focus was next to useless. Yes I know it was low light but this was ridiculous. Anyway I switched to manual. Now maybe I am far too used to using macro lenses now (I only ever shoot macro now it seems) but I was really surprised how far back I had to be to focus. I couldn't get close to filling my crop sensor with this reasonably large insect, so this is a bit of a crop. I thought I could put an extension tube on, but the clock was ticking,and I would lose even more light that way. In the end I had to up the ISO (1600 oh no!) and shoot wide open (F5.6 with this lens) which isn't it's sharpest. Thinking about it now I'm not sure if I would have been better of not using it on it's maximum zoom, but I automatically went into wildlife mode and went for the clean background. Maybe I'll experiment more when I get more time.

Anyway, enough whining. This is what I came back with, and I'm fairly happy with it. At least I know there are damsels about now and I'll go back again to see if I can find more at some point. This is my first ever damselfly and I am at leat one step closer to my goal of getting a close up portrait stack of a damsel fly this year :)

Green Damselfly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Flickr seems to have done it's sharpening trick on this again....

Well you definitely hit the focus mark on this one.

One of my favourite macro subjects and spot on with the focus
Not sure what it is but an excellent shot
Tried to id her but can't find my book!
Not long till ours are out:)

Last edited:
(y) Nice shot Tim. well done.

Think you've done well, ive not even used the 55-250 yet, also mk I so thanks for the tips.

I was just being told about these this morning. Mini dragonflies was the comment. And bang look on here and you have produced one. Cheers

Thanks chaps!

One of my favourite macro subjects and spot on with the focus
Not sure what it is but an excellent shot
Tried to id her but can't find my book!
Not long till ours are out:)
Yeah I've pre-ordered the FSC atlas of dragon/damselflies for UK and Ireland, but it's not released yet, so maybe it will feature in there. It might not as this was from Southern Spain and I'm guessing I can't post in the facebook group for that reason :(

I'm sure someone here will recognise it though :) I'll ost in the ID thread if no one bites..

I was just being told about these this morning. Mini dragonflies was the comment. And bang look on here and you have produced one. Cheers

Yeah they are part of the same order, "Odonata" but are a bit smaller and more delicate. They have the most expressive faces though and are really cute!

If I had to guess I'd say female red eyed damsel but the body looks too slender, I should know I've photographed enough damselflies:D
I've also ordered the atlas should be good:)

Fantastic Tim and i enjoy your write ups too, it's nice to hear the hows and whys etc(y)

Thanks chaps!

Yeah I've pre-ordered the FSC atlas of dragon/damselflies for UK and Ireland, but it's not released yet, so maybe it will feature in there. It might not as this was from Southern Spain and I'm guessing I can't post in the facebook group for that reason :(

I'm sure someone here will recognise it though :)

It looks like a female Blue-tailed Damselfly, which is UK species so will feature in the new atlas. This one is one of the various colour forms called "infuscans".

Lots of mention about an atlas.

Where can I view and order one from please?

Thanks

PS. Nice shot Tim of the damselfly :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Last edited:
Thanks guys
If I had to guess I'd say female red eyed damsel but the body looks too slender, I should know I've photographed enough damselflies:D
Yes it looks very similar, but something about the eyes an the abdomen (as you mention) don't quite match with the examples I am seeing on the internet. Would love to see some of your damsel pictures!
It looks like a female Blue-tailed Damselfly, which is UK species so will feature in the new atlas. This one is one of the various colour forms called "infuscans".
Ah ok, I can't find a full body picture (I'll wait for my book) but a close up on Flickr I found matches the front half at least. Thanks! No not only do I have to learn the different species, it looks like I'll have to distinguish various forms of each species (and gender) too! Ok, this might be more complicated than I thought...
I can't find the original link anymore, and I searched the FSC site, but it's not coming up; maybe they have removed it now until it is finally released.
Anyway, here is the original pre-order deal - http://www.glosnats.org/atlas-of-dragonflies-in-britain-and-ireland/
and they also do a fold-out chart available now if that will suit your needs - http://www.field-studies-council.org/publications/pubs/dragonflies-and-damselflies-of-britain.aspx

Thanks guys
Yes it looks very similar, but something about the eyes an the abdomen (as you mention) don't quite match with the examples I am seeing on the internet. Would love to see some of your damsel pictures!

Hi Tim will post some up later in the week am working at the moment I do 4on4 off:)

Thanks

PS. Nice shot Tim of the damselfly :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

There was a pre-publication offer for the atlas which is now closed so it has been removed from the FSC website for now. Keep checking the British Dragonfly Society website, http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk (the BDS are co-publishers), and a link will appear when available.

Back