First DSLR

Edit My Images
No
Hi all. Im completely new to all this so be nice!

I've just been given an old Canon EOS 1000 SLR and am thinking about getting more into photography. I want to venture into the world of digital SLR cameras as my current one is film which seems a bit dated and tbh I get the impression it will be a lot easier to practice with a digital without wasting tonnes of films and money on films.

So what are people recommendations on first DSLRs? Im thinking of a canon EOS 1000D.

I don't know much about them so any useful sites and info about what everything means would be nice!

I will be mainly using it for a bit of car photography at numerous car shows and motorsport events, and also kayaking pics. This means I want to be able to take sequence shots to a decent quality.

Any help much appreciated! :wave:

if its fps you want then the xxxD wont be your cup of tea as they can only handle around 3 fps which wont capture them car shots.

i would consider a 450d if budget is a mjor issue but you should be able to get the 40d in some places as old stock because its just gone discontinued.

You'll find other threads on a similar theme if you'd care to search the forum. Ulimately it'll be your choice, read the reviews online and narrow your options down to 2 or 3 depending on budget, but the most consistent peice of advice you will receive from this forum is to go down to the local camera shop and hold the camera. How it feels in your hand matters as much as technical merit.

i have a 1000D and found it very good for a first camera , trading upto a 450D next week so it will be up for sale shortly , body only though , keep an eye out for it :p

how much money do you want to throw at it - how do you like to eos 1000 as feel is a big issue in picking which brand to go with

how much money do you want to throw at it - how do you like to eos 1000 as feel is a big issue in picking which brand to go with

around 400. May try stretch to a bit more. Just got into uni so might try blag some cash of my rents as a well done gift (y) then i can maybe go up to 500.

The EOS I have at the moment has a very big body and looks bigger than the newer ones so i will go look and see if i can have a play with one in a local camera shop where ive seen one in the window.

So I went into my local camera shop today to have a look at the 1000D and ended up putting a deposit on a second hand 450D for the same price as the new 1000D! Has the image stabiliser lens which I believe is very worthwhile.

Cant wait to collect it. Have held it and inspected it and the condition is perfect. Looks brand new! Just have to wait for a cheque to clear in my account so i can hand over the rest of the money! (y)

Excellent choice!

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about fps for motorsport, 3 or 4 will be plenty as it's more about getting action into your shots, rather then fast "wheels not moving" static shots.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Excellent choice!

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about fps for motorsport, 3 or 4 will be plenty as it's more about getting action into your shots, rather then fast "wheels not moving" static shots.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Yea I will only be doing motorsport stuff very occasionally. Most of the time its just static pics of cars at shows and meets etc. Cant wait to have a play will definitely post up some pics when i start using it :D

Back